How protective of yourself are you? | INFJ Forum

How protective of yourself are you?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
What does it mean to be protective of yourself?

I am wondering if some types are more protective of themselves than others.

So, whatever your type, are you especially protective of yourself, whether this means protective of your person, space, time, etc. more than others?

Reactions: Galileo
Oh my [MENTION=1669]Res[/MENTION], where have you been hiding?

I'm not ready to answer this question yet. Too much searching required.

I'm highly protective of myself.

It's mainly because I have some very serious trust issues when it comes to friends and partners. When someone let's me down or betrays me, I get very hurt and emotional, and I hate the way it makes me feel.

Getting close to me is hard work, and I'm not confident enough in the friends I do have sometimes and I lash out at them if I feel threatened.

My best friend called me out on it once. he was utterly infuriated with me because no matter how often he tries to be there for me and prove that he's a true and loyal friend, I will still attack him sometimes for some stupid reason if I feel scared or vulnerable.

Reactions: Gaze
Let me take a stab at this. I am very protective of myself but I can't say if I am more so than others.

I have several walls. I know that I carry myself with an "I am not interested" demeanor. This I think is learnt. I tend to look a lot younger than I am so people tend to approach me in ways that I simply find unacceptable. However, this is a very easy defense of mine to pierce and usually people claim I am quite charming though at first intimidating.

I can be quite frank about issues that other people prefer to hold close to their chest. On the other hand, I can be cagey about irrational things like exposing my feet. (They are nice feet, even pretty feet, but they are my business.)

I am very protective of my body, I don't smoke or do drugs and I rarely drink. I am a flexitarian because I feel healthier as a vegetarian but coming from the land of curry goat and jerk chicken I have to make exceptions. Do not touch me without permission. I need some sort of warning (not necessarily verbal). I will jump out of my skin.

My attitude towards space is that I want it and can't have enough of it and wish you wouldn't make a mess in it. I don't nag about it but appreciate some respect.

Time. I hate my time being wasted and so I will avoid people who waste it. Be there when you promised. I need lots of alone time or at least silent time. I can get very crabby if this need isn't fulfilled. My time is guarded aggressively.

I don't like to delve into my feelings too much because I can't seem to give in to my feelings and think at the same time. It's either on or off so, I tend to avoid people who inspire strong feelings in me. My feelings are also guarded aggressively.

I could go on forever naming walls...

I'm highly protective of myself.

It's mainly because I have some very serious trust issues when it comes to friends and partners. When someone let's me down or betrays me, I get very hurt and emotional, and I hate the way it makes me feel.

Getting close to me is hard work, and I'm not confident enough in the friends I do have sometimes and I lash out at them if I feel threatened.

My best friend called me out on it once. he was utterly infuriated with me because no matter how often he tries to be there for me and prove that he's a true and loyal friend, I will still attack him sometimes for some stupid reason if I feel scared or vulnerable.

[MENTION=3230]Galileo[/MENTION] we could be twins :D. I feel pretty much the same. Yeah, trust is a thing which once lost, is hard to get back.

Let me take a stab at this. I am very protective of myself but I can't say if I am more so than others.

I have several walls. I know that I carry myself with an "I am not interested" demeanor. This I think is learnt. I tend to look a lot younger than I am so people tend to approach me in ways that I simply find unacceptable. However, this is a very easy defense of mine to pierce and usually people claim I am quite charming though at first intimidating.

I don't like to delve into my feelings too much because I can't seem to give in to my feelings and think at the same time. It's either on or off so, I tend to avoid people who inspire strong feelings in me. My feelings are also guarded aggressively.

I could go on forever naming walls...

[MENTION=3710]AlienSpectator[/MENTION] Entirely relate to the text in bold.

What does it mean to be protective of yourself?

I am wondering if some types are more protective of themselves than others.

So, whatever your type, are you especially protective of yourself, whether this means protective of your person, space, time, etc. more than others?

Sometimes I think that I'm not nearly protective as I should be. I let other people word get the best of me, and I hate when I let that happen. Other than that I'm fairly protective. I don't share a lot of myself with many people, only a chose few will get to see who I really am.

I see my space as an extension of my personality and I'm very protective of it. I don't like anyone going through my stuff under any circumstances, and if I do give permission to someone to use my space, I expect them to respect it as I expect them to respect me.

Also I don't think I'm protective enough of my time, and that's something I'm working on.

My point of view is that the problems and areas where I'm not being protective enough are like that because I didn't really learn to say "no" to some people and in some situations, and I should.

Sometimes I think that I'm not nearly protective as I should be. I let other people word get the best of me, and I hate when I let that happen. Other than that I'm fairly protective. I don't share a lot of myself with many people, only a chose few will get to see who I really am.

I see my space as an extension of my personality and I'm very protective of it. I don't like anyone going through my stuff under any circumstances, and if I do give permission to someone to use my space, I expect them to respect it as I expect them to respect me.

Also I don't think I'm protective enough of my time, and that's something I'm working on.

My point of view is that the problems and areas where I'm not being protective enough are like that because I didn't really learn to say "no" to some people and in some situations, and I should.

[MENTION=2300]Siamese cat[/MENTION]

Yeah, i share enough but nothing to write home about with most people. I am really protective of my space and things, now that i think about it. Never thought much of it, but i really am. When i put something down, i hate someone moving it. And i have the same problem with people not respecting my space because i didn't learn to say no and establish clear boundaries.

I'm protective of myself from others to a fault, however I'm not protective of myself from myself and tend to be reckless on occasion.

@Siamese cat

Yeah, i share enough but nothing to write home about with most people. I am really protective of my space and things, now that i think about it. Never thought much of it, but i really am. When i put something down, i hate someone moving it. And i have the same problem with people not respecting my space because i didn't learn to say no and establish clear boundaries.

[MENTION=1669]Res[/MENTION]

This is what I have been reading lately on that topic, I even think that the first one of these links you shared at some point here and that I have it bookmarked it after that as a great one.

http://www.hiddenhurt.co.uk/Articles/boundaries.htm

http://www.joy2meu.com/Personal_Boundaries.htm

http://serenityonlinetherapy.com/healthyboundaries.htm

I think Introverts in general are a guarded bunch. Just because few people are awesome enough to see the scary crap that happens inside of us throughout the day.

i consulted my pineal gland and it said the following:

im hungry

Reactions: bagelriffic
I'm not very protective of myself, with the exception of two things:

1. My domestic space - which besides the sitting and dining rooms is inviolably mine.

2. Tickling, or any other touchy-teasey carry-on. For some reason, I feel completely vulnerable and powerless when someone tries to tickle me. I'm just wayyyyyyyy toooooo ticklish.

Reactions: Nixie
You know, knowing what most people here do about me this is gonna sound really strange. I'm actually very protective of myself.

Yeah, I know, right? I do tend to go the 'help until it hurts' route with people but in relationships I'm cautious, I move slowly, and I make sure I have things worked out before I take future steps.

If we're talking about my emotional well-being then I do tend to trip here.

You know, knowing what most people here do about me this is gonna sound really strange. I'm actually very protective of myself.

Yeah, I know, right? I do tend to go the 'help until it hurts' route with people but in relationships I'm cautious, I move slowly, and I make sure I have things worked out before I take future steps.

If we're talking about my emotional well-being then I do tend to trip here.

[MENTION=2575]Chessie[/MENTION]; Are you kidding.... You and Satya are the top two most self-protective members I can think of. (I mention Satya because I think he's ahead of you on that one).

Well, I guess you were right, your post did sound strange - I almost fell off my chair.

I protect my alone time and private time, but it is really only a matter of balance since most of my time is spent "out there."

Physically, I don't worry. I'm 200 lbs with little fat, an obligate exerciser, and have engaged in various martial arts for the past forty years. In sports, particularly skiing, I take calculated risks, stop when I'm tired and don't quite ski as crazily as I did when in my 20's and 30's. Emotionally and psychologically, I stay away from dangerous people. When I was young I wasn't good at identifying noxious, poisonous people but, after a few bad experiences, I became more astute. I protect myself emotionally by limiting my exposure to movies and news that I know will upset me, like those with gratuitous violence and cruelty. I do find that reading about bad things is easier than seeing and hearing them, so it is possible to stay informed without risking too much upset. There's no sense in wallowing in the world's evil. In business, I've been in a number of lawsuits and have become something of an expert in protecting myself against future litigation. I keep meticulous records of everything. I am also good at being deposed. Indeed, I am a nightmare to opposing counsel. I protect myself financially by investing carefully and consistently, limiting risk, and living way below my means. To me, having wealth in the form of investments and liquidity is better than having a lot of things. It just feels good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nixie and Gaze
I don't protect my physical body, but my mind... now there's something no one's ever going to damage. At least, unless they figure out any weaknesses I have D:

extremely. I have a public self and a private self. extremely few people have seen my private self. even those that see it see it for less than 5 mins.

I would say that I am very protective, both of my family and me.
From time to time I will reveal a small piece. Usually when I’m hurting emotionally.

But for the most part, I stay protected. I think I do it because there are so many people (both online and in real life) that just want to take any info they can about you, and use it against you. Even prospective employers will search for you on social networks to see if you post anything that they might not like, before hiring you.

I remember once at work saying something like “…bla bla bla … my wife….” and one of my co-workers was shocked that I had gotten married and did not tell anyone at work I did it. They all new I had a girlfriend, but not that we finally got married.

Reactions: Diana