How much do you think you know about "you"? | INFJ Forum

How much do you think you know about "you"?

How much do you think you know yourself?

• Every single thing/I know it all

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Quite a bit, but not "it all"

Votes: 20 57.1%
  • I know enough

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Not as much as I'd like

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Very little

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Seriously, who am I? *deer in headlights*

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Do you think you know yourself well? How much?

Do you think you'll ever know yourself entirely? When do you think you'll achieve this?

Or do you think "Can we ever really know who we really are?"

Last edited:
Too much....

....but not enough.

Ah, Restraint. You always come up with some thought-provoking discussion topics.

Do you think you know yourself well? How much?

I think I know myself fairly well, but at the same time, I'm frequently discovering things that I never noticed about myself, usually because of a new perspective or new information or knowledge that I've acquired. I still surprise myself sometimes, but I'm not completely lost as to who I truly am.

So the answer is a complicated, yes and no.

Do you think you'll ever know yourself entirely? When do you think you'll achieve this?

Or do you think "Can we ever really know who we really are?"

I think truly knowing yourself inside out is a difficult feat to achieve, if not impossible. To borrow the iceberg cliche, so much of who we are is beneath the surface. There are processes running quietly in the background that we're not aware of, shaping and shifting our subconscious selves and continuously building on one another and we don't even know it until some event makes those things plain to see. Furthermore, because our mind is so dynamic and because we're only operating from a single point of view, there is a lot that we do not notice or even refuse to notice.

So no, I don't think we can ever really know who we really are.

Last edited:
I am trying to know myself and therefore i am doing meditation and trying to know my purpose.

I don't think i know myself because sometimes i feel hard time to feel oneness with everyone. I just lost that touch, i think i need more practice. but yes, it's very nice feeling.

It is not that easy to know "yourself".

Did you remember my facebook status?? i am going to change, this is the reason. :)

Ah, Restraint. You always come up with some thought-provoking discussion topics.

I think I know myself fairly well, but at the same time, I'm frequently discovering things that I never noticed about myself, usually because of a new perspective or new information or knowledge that I've acquired. I still surprise myself sometimes, but I'm not completely lost as to who I truly am.

So the answer is a complicated, yes and no.

I think truly knowing yourself inside out is a difficult feat to achieve, if not impossible. To borrow the iceberg cliche, so much of who we are is beneath the surface. There are processes running quietly in the background that we're not aware of, shaping and shifting our subconscious selves and continuously building on one another and we don't even know it until some event makes those things plain to see. Furthermore, because our mind is so dynamic and because we're only operating from a single point of view, there is a lot that we do not notice or even refuse to notice.

So no, I don't think we can ever really know who we really are.

said it the best :D. although i do think it can be achieved, and i think it can be especially easier for some types (i am not referring to MBTI types, just types of people in general. for me it will take my lifetime i think.

I put, "Not as much as I'd like."

But perhaps I'm full of crap. Lately, introspection is drudgery.
I'm tired of self-reflection... Which is weird because I used to spend lots of time journaling and contemplating myself. Now I bore myself and don't really care to dissect how I feel and why etc. etc. etc.

Last edited:
I've considered my self narccistic at times does that count, seriously I scare myself.

not enough, clearly. but that's true of almost everything.

I do think it is possible to know oneself, but the paradoxes involved means that this knowledge is nothing at all like what we might imagine going in.

I don't think this comes from introspection either...maybe in part, but not for the most part. Exploring many other facets of life plays a larger role. Introspection doesn't work on it's own because...frankly, it's not all about us. I might also say that unless one is willing to let go of their own ego and jump in fearlessly we will never get there.

Last edited:
What has struck me lately is how much the mind and body are interconnected, and how little I know about the inside of my body. I know its a weird kind of thought. But if I get past the weirdness, and get out an anatomy book, I get a nice, simple, physical description of how little I know about myself. All of those bits and pieces interacting to influence my mind both consciously and subconsciously, and I don't even know they exist.

How could I even claim to know half of myself when I don't even know what I'm made of?

I've been working on this one - since I'm still quite young :) I still have time to decide what kind of person I want to be and then work at being that person.

And I know this is going to sound cheesy but - seriously, that one Bible book helps show me things that I need to change...yep, it sounded cheesy. Sorry. It's true, though, so I can't NOT mention it.

Learning to see things from other peoples' perspectives helps. A lot. I have one friend in particular whose way of thinking is INCREDIBLY different from mine. I spend a lot of time trying to wrap my mind around the way she thinks. I was so surprised that, when I came home, it was SO EASY for me to understand my parents after having tried so hard to understand my friend.

I tend to describe myself in pieces of external things - the smell of orange peels, small green growing things and pebbles by running water, fountains, monasteries in the Arabian desert, cottage windows in the Cotswalds - building an internal landscape. Figuring out what values I associate with these things. Internalizing those and trying to live them out. If that made sense.

We are constantly changing people. It is impossible to know everything about oneself.

And the mere action of self-exploration actually changes who you are.

I keep thinking I know myself, then suddenly I think/do something that throws me way off.
But then, maybe I'm just not paying attention. I have a bad habit of watching others too much...

I don't know if anyone can really know themselves, especially if they don't have time for reflection and stuff....

As people, we're constantly changing. We move to a new house or a new job or new school. We grow older. We develop new relationships, new hobbies, new interests. All of this change changes us. Sure, the core of who we are remains pretty stable, I think, but we're not really set in stone. As a result, we constantly have to relearn ourselves, developing an understanding of the new aspects of ourselves.

I came here again and voted for every single thing which means it all.

Yes, i am trying something now and for next week also. If it worked then i'll reveal reason here why i voted for it.

I came here again and voted for every single thing which means it all.

Yes, i am trying something now and for next week also. If it worked then i'll reveal reason here why i voted for it.

Sounds interesting :m155: *waits impatiently*

Your wait is going to finish now.

I think i know about everything. It is not in my hand. I am feeling, i am medium of it. Really, i am going to share with this lovely forum people. :)

I am happy today and feeling more good about it.

So see, what i did i will tell you. Whenever i used to come here, i tried to feel love sent by people. It was great feeling for me. I was feeling thankful to them and still keep feeling like this.

Advantage i got from this practical:
1. My ego gone away from within me, i am free and now i am enjoying my exploring this world task. I was feeling frustrated with that thing. I, I and I. Oh god, thank you people for sending your love. YOUR TRUE LOVE HELPED ME TODAY. I WILL NEVER FORGET THIS WONDERFUL GIFT. I WILL ALWAYS KEEP THIS IN MY HEART.
2. You are feeling love and you are giving love. Okay. This means you are connected with everyone in detached manner. I mean you are not attached with everyone. So this means you are threaded with everyone and same way with god. Right? yes. Then hear this, god knows everything. You love him, so in return you will get love from god. It will be everything. :))) This is answer i received. Love is everything. :D

If you are going to try this practical, okay. But remember, there is one limit for you: You will always be medium.

I enjoyed last two weeks and this practical was running from last two weeks. Now i am going to keep this in every day's task.

Did i make any sense?