How important is physical beauty in attraction for you? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

How important is physical beauty in attraction for you?

Some do. But I've met some equally dumb but physically unattractive girls as well.

So what are we talking about here...is it the cultural barbiedollisation of women?

Has it been made culturally less acceptable for women to discuss weighty issues?

Is that what they are buying into? Whats the ideal in a womans head these days....

No reason to "grow up" completely. Its tough to balance maturity and not lose your inner child completely. :)

Yeah but that guy was clearly in touch with his inner tool-ness instead. >.<

Reactions: Switchgirl
What most attracts you to a potential mate and how prominently does the person's physical appearance factor into that attraction?

I'm attracted to a great sense of humor, a good conversationalist, and someone with ambitions. I need someone who enjoys stability too but also loves to go on spontaneous trips. If you mean physical; then a strong jawline, beard, strong arms, and gentle eyes. I already got all this though.

I think physical appearance is really important. If I can't look at your face during sex and remain turned on --- then shit is a problem.

What is one thing that would immediately stop an attraction for you?

A big ego. Smoker. Irresponsibility.

Smoking is a big one though. I can find a guy really cute but the moment he puts a cigarette in his mouth, it kills it. It just says to me that he doesn't value his health. Nothing is more disappointing to me than someone who doesn't value their health - whether it is eating poorly, smoking, not taking care of their appearance, and pretty much neglecting themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: tfg345i4u5lw
Lol kid likes %'s. 'Top 1% of Party-ers in the country' 'I am better looking than 95% of the general population' xD What a douche bag!

He's trying to show off his "intelligence" and mathematical "skills"

Since he is a self-proclaimed intelligent guy who's double majoring in "Risk Management Mathematics" and "Actuary Sciences.."

Omg... Soooo desirable :eyeroll:

No, I don't despise children. I don't interact with children that much though, so my answer may be inaccurate. I think I'd be more understanding if it was a child..

But this guy is 26.. Clearly he doesn't wanna grow up.

He's my new hero. I would love to hang out with that guy.

Reactions: bionic
Another: there are some women that literally have no idea what's happening outside of their own, immediate world. I used to think that they didn't give a shit, then I began to realize they didn't even know there was something to give a shit about in the first place. Topics like the economy, ebola or black holes are so far outside their reality that it's impossible to imagine ever communicating with them in a meaningful way.

They're just utterly ignorant about 99% of life and it's fucking weird to see; like watching reality-TV style caricatures, except they truly are that way.

As in:

[video=youtube;lj3iNxZ8Dww]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww[/video]

I can't imagine being with someone like that, no matter how physically beautiful.

HAHA!!! I want to hang out with her too!!!

The smirk on Mario Lopez's face at the end says so much. This didn't come across to me as ignorant though, it just made her look like she has very poor communication skills. Because she might be right, maybe if the US Americans were more educated we would be more capable of helping places like South Africa and the Iraq.

HAHA!!! I want to hang out with her too!!!

The smirk on Mario Lopez's face at the end says so much.

I feel bad for that girl. People should cut her some slack because maybe she was just nervous and succumbed to the pressure.

Love the responses! I do feel that, in my case, attraction is mostly cerebral but it is true (thanks Korg) that there are boundaries that I cannot cross if there is no physical attraction whatsoever.

@Korg- I was quite amused by your list of physical "don'ts". I have to admit that I am a morbidly obese shorty with really messed up teeth, platinum hair and a scorching case of herpes. Smooch!

My teeth aren't anything to brag about, except one thing: I overheard my parents talking low about how they could not afford to fix my teeth, but they would figure a way. The next morning, I told them I did not want the braces. We are made of such fragile things. I saw a young lady at the doctor's office today and did all I could to make her smile at me. First thing I noticed was how beautiful and straight her teeth were when she smiled. Of course, I was melted by her beauty. She was a ten in my books, and talked like she had brains and a caring nature. I wish I could be around someone like her, or her for that matter, at work every day. I would feel much better. The wife agreed she was great looking. Told her how easy it would be to go to work every day to that. She would make me feel younger, I'm sure. She made me feel great today. Bet she'd make pretty babies and take good care of them. I wish her the best and feel somewhat lucky and fortunate to have met her and seen her today.

Scars show themselves in different ways as we age. What we see does not tell the whole story. The same person with a crooked back may have risked their life to save someone. A poor person may have chosen poor over being with someone abusive. Some people may be self-conscious of how they look, which can actually leak into their actions and attitudes.

There was a woman at our church many years ago that someone told me was kind of ugly one day. I had to look closer at her the next time I saw her. She had such a wonderful spirit that always smiled, it was hard for me to think of her as being anything but the kind person she always was.

Took a girl to a dance in the sixth grade, and a so-called friend came over to us with his date and said in front of her, "You could have done better than that!" I told her we needed to move somewhere more quiet.

I feel bad for that girl. People should cut her some slack because maybe she was just nervous and succumbed to the pressure.

I thought the same exact thing. Just to make things clear, what she said did not imply that she thought South Africa or Iraq were parts of America. And I'm sure lots of people in America don't have maps, it's probably true. But she was just horrible at speaking and it could very easily be from nerves.

Totally feel like I've answered this question before...

Physical beauty is the first thing I notice; it is the thing that gets me interested enough in talking to a person thereafter, so it's pretty fucking important *overzealous nod*

Most physical attraction I can get over, as in I don't become a drooling moron diddling myself. However I am a sucker for green eyes and will become a drooling moron diddling myself xD

Lol it's really bad. If you have green eyes, it don't even matter what you say, I'll be like, 'uh huh' *dreamy*

But yeah, physical attraction is pretty important. You have to catch my eye else they'll just keep wander'n.
>.>
<.<
>.<
<.>
Everyday I'm wander'n *dances*

I thought the same exact thing. Just to make things clear, what she said did not imply that she thought South Africa or Iraq were parts of America. And I'm sure lots of people in America don't have maps, it's probably true. But she was just horrible at speaking and it could very easily be from nerves.

I had read that somewhere as well, but that could just be her agent spin-doctoring, too.

Regardless, the point isn't her specifically, but what it represents as a certain type of woman.

I had read that somewhere as well, but that could just be her agent spin-doctoring, too.

Regardless, the point isn't her specifically, but what it represents as a certain type of woman.

No spin necessary, what she said did not in any way imply anything ignorant. She was just communicating like shit. And I just realized she's a teenager too, but I think initially we judge her as an adult because she looks like one. I thought she was in her early 20's until I saw it was "Miss Teen 2007".

But I get what you're saying though. Dumb bitches are annoying.

What most attracts you to a potential mate and how prominently does the person's physical appearance factor into that attraction?

What is one thing that would immediately stop an attraction for you?[/I]

So? Tell me ...

Excellent thread idea [MENTION=12050]TooShyToSay[/MENTION]!

Initially it is the overall personality and outward physical appearance that draws my attention and interest in a man. Physically, I adore dark hair, dark eyes, defined facial bone structure, thin muscular build and a genuine smile. Height is here nor there for me... I am 5'4" so most men are taller! I used to really be into men that aren't hairy however in my last relationship I learned how sexy (drop me to my knees sexy) hair is. Grrrrrrrrrrr and yum!

Intelligence, humor, trustworthy, authenticity, silly, loving, honesty, self insight, good conversationalist, sensitivity and privacy are all important qualities. Depth of character and emotional availability are key for me as well.

Deal breakers? Hmmmmm- people who lack self insight, people who do not tell the truth, people with large egos/narcissism. Smoking and addictions are a turn off as well... Two of my favorite people died from lung cancer and alcoholism...heartbreaking.

*For me the most important quality is insight- into self and others* Without it- I am out.

Reflective question.... I like it!

he's got plenty of respect for himself and for other people.

This! is such a big one and extremely underrated. It's a pleasure to be with someone who not only has respect for other people, but can put others first or has the interest of others as a key part of who they are.

I thought the question itself was somewhat loaded. I think whomever vetted that question either messed up or did so deliberately.

Recent polls have shown, 1/5th of Americans (20% or 70 million Americans of a total 350 million population) can't locate the US on a world map. Why do you think this is?

For a contest that is conservative oriented, being prompted to speak ill about America and/or Americans is akin to being caught between a rock and a hard place.

My immediate reaction would be to question the premise (What polls? Who conducted them and how? How reliable is it?), but that would be a huge no-no in a contest as it naturally leads to questioning the validity of the contest itself, "Who the hell vetted this question and why?" which in turn would corrupt the validity of the contest and the winner.

I tried to look up the questions that were posed to the other contestants, but I am unable to locate them. I would be very interested in comparing them.

Physical attraction is important but if there's no personality or rapport then it's a non starter. I can get bored quite easily (and vice versa) so the ability to continue to evolve through communication, learning, being receptive keeps me inspired and the relationship alive. What attracted me most about my hubby is his authenticity, sarcastic sense of humour, intelligence, quiet and unassuming confident nature, his public school boy etiquette (a man with manners is a big YES!), his non-conformist attitude, sporty, fun to be around, quick wit, tactile, supportive, patient, is good with a cordless drill & other DIY gadgets, would never think twice about giving me his last Rolo and always let's me steal his French fries without protesting (unlike myself!).

Anyone with NPD traits is a big NO NO, also loud, insecure, lazy, immature, rude, stingy, foul mouthed, doesn't know how to have fun without getting drunk or do drugs...a smoker is a big turn off too (not just because of health concerns but how the smell lingers on clothes & on their breath) - it's disgusting! Just thought....a well groomed goatee is sexy but men with full beards - highly unattractive!

As a few others already pointed out, someone's outward appearance is usually a kind of manifestation of their personality. That being said, there's definitely a kind of aesthetic I look for because it's generally a good sign of how a girl's personality will be. I guess this tends to vary from more popular standards of attractiveness because there have been girls that I've found to be totally cute, while my friends find them to be weird looking (but not necessarily unattractive), though that's probably just because I tend to not hang out with other geeks who ogle over kawaii desu ^____^ girls.

When you fall in love you just do right? Love is blind― and it's true on both side of the spectrum.

Sometimes I think that looks are pretty important, but it honestly never really is. I don't choose to be attracted, I just am.. whether it be looks, intelligence, smell, smile, or confidence, sometimes it happens― and sometimes it doesn't.

Like in chemistry; compatibility, energy, orientation... and even a catalyst― a cupid or a matchmaker. And it's totally different for everyone.
being just well-presented and being themselves is I think better than trying to look too good.

Important enough. I don't find effeminate men with soft features attractive or men who are completely dazzling and gorgeous. Zero attraction.
I like for there to be some imperfections. It makes them somewhat real.

I prefer healthy, good built, good strength, good hygiene, and can be well put together if he wants to.

I guess the most important part is that they need to care about their own physical beauty/overall appearance. It should matter to them too.

Quite, very important to attract.

But whether the attraction itself stays or fizzles out quickly--- is another matter entirely. I may like looking at you, but do I like staying with you, engaging with you, knowing you better?