How important is physical beauty in attraction for you? | INFJ Forum

How important is physical beauty in attraction for you?

Scientia

A true lady
Aug 28, 2014
MBTI
INFJ
What most attracts you to a potential mate and how prominently does the person's physical appearance factor into that attraction?

What is one thing that would immediately stop an attraction for you?

Last edited:
What most attracts you to a potential mate and how prominently does the person's physical appearance factor into that attraction?
-
Just a general feeling about the person first starts the attraction. Whether physical appearance matters depends on the type of attraction. You can have a strong physical attraction but not a personal attraction to someone. It's usually personality which draws me to someone, the vibe they evoke. Attraction is not always a conscious process. Sometimes, you're just attracted to someone and you don't know why. When you like someone, you tend to feel a physical attraction to them because of your feelings for them.

-
Probably not the best person to answer this because I've put up with things I probably shouldn't that others would likely and rightly consider as deal breakers. If I had to choose, I'd say, someone who throws their weight around, someone who assumes they're always right, never listens, or someone who thinks they deserve to be treated as a god or king because of their status, physical attractiveness or accomplishments.

-
Just a general feeling about the person first starts the attraction. Whether physical appearance matters depends on the type of attraction. You can have a strong physical attraction but not a personal attraction to someone. It's usually personality which draws me to someone, the vibe they evoke. Attraction is not always a conscious process. Sometimes, you're just attracted to someone and you don't know why. When you like someone, you tend to feel a physical attraction to them because of your feelings for them.

-
Probably not the best person to answer this because I've put up with things I probably shouldn't that others would likely and rightly consider as deal breakers. If I had to choose, I'd say, someone who throws their weight around, someone who assumes they're always right, never listens, or someone who thinks they deserve to be treated as a god or king because of their status, physical attractiveness or accomplishments.

i agree with pics the vibe matters more than looks.. especially when you've been with them for years and are used to their looks

Reactions: rawr
Honestly different things. Seeing a woman across a room and whether a decision is made to introduce oneself has a lot to do with perceived physical beauty. Add more time and maybe the way she carries herself, the way she interacts with the people shes with, the way she smiles etc...

The eye doctor I met a few years ago came around the corner and when I looked up it was BOOM! I was speechless. I think that was all about physical beauty but it also was about how she said my name. Overtime though I found her to be too soft spoken.

It's at least 40% of the equation.

For me, her outward appearance matters insofar as it mirrors an interior character. I like women with some mystique for example, and there are women that look that way, often in how they carry themselves, dress, etc. Without that, I can't be attracted other than having a fleeting reaction.

Some of my girlfriends have been gorgeous and some have been plain, but they were all interesting, smart and captivating to me - with all those qualities showing up on the outside. But other guys thought they were boring or bitchy or whatever. A lot of people think Bird is standoffish, but she's not. She's just quiet and introspective which is something I like. This is why I'm a huge advocate of being your true self when dating because even though you weed more people out, the ones who make it past your barriers make for more intense bonds.

I assume you mean physical traits specifically, not ones like smoking or having severe herpes.

So:

Morbidly overweight or underweight
Platinum blonde
Under 5'
Really fucked up teeth
Obvious signs of disease

I took time to examine this in-depth prior to meeting my husband and drew up a list of personal characteristics and looks I really wanted. Well to be precise I had a picture of an actor I thought quite gorgeous at that time. Primarily my prayer was for someone who could give his heart above all else but I did want the looks too. My husband came along 6 months later and yes he carries the personal and physical characteristics I so wanted. Glad I did this as I was attracting idiots prior to this.

What is one thing that would immediately stop an attraction.

I could find beauty in dysfunction prior to meeting my husband and so attracted that. Now I can say arrogance is probably most off putting.

Reactions: barbad0s

I think physical appearance is important, but it's not the be-all, end-all for me. First and foremost, I look for a man with a solid physical and energetic presence. He won't easily fade into the wallpaper and even if he's a funny, gregarious guy, he's got plenty of respect for himself and for other people. Usually this kind of strength is reflected in the body language and therefore, the body, the facial expressions and the way he carries himself.

This can make even the plainest of men incredibly attractive to me.

Either a stupid or ugly character. Or both. Cruelty of any kind is an instant turn-off.

Physically, poor hygiene or other evidence of a lack of self-care.

-

This!

Douchey attitude
Party/frat boy type
Arrogant/Conceited
Player type

Its pretty important, they usually get embarrassed or self-conscious when I pass comment upon it but I've never had a crush on or dated anyone I didnt think was remarkably in some way in terms of physical beauty.

Other qualities will get someone friend zoned, and I think people should appreciate the friend zone, sure people dont like being a friend if they want more but it beats having no relationship or a lesser relationship.

This!

Douchey attitude
Party/frat boy type
Arrogant/Conceited
Player type

This guy is the epitome of everything I despise

[video=youtube;-Y8x44-uBZ0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y8x44-uBZ0[/video]

[video=youtube;zvP3DFbRKKs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvP3DFbRKKs[/video]

(LOL yes I watch ANTM)

Reactions: Rcs6r

(LOL yes I watch ANTM)
that guy looks like a child in a mature body. Do you despise childrens?

that guy looks like a child in a mature body. Do you despise childrens?

No, I don't despise children. I don't interact with children that much though, so my answer may be inaccurate. I think I'd be more understanding if it was a child..

But this guy is 26.. Clearly he doesn't wanna grow up.

As a young guy, first thing that catches my eyes to a girl is physical beauty. If she is not physicaly beautiful I tend to pass over it, not in the sense that I don't respect the person (because many girls who lack physical beauty can be smart and interesting as persons), but rather in the sense that I tend to look for girls who are more pretty.
Secondly of course, its personality. Many girls are pretty but are not really smart.

(LOL yes I watch ANTM)

Lol kid likes %'s. 'Top 1% of Party-ers in the country' 'I am better looking than 95% of the general population' xD What a douche bag!

Reactions: Switchgirl
Another: there are some women that literally have no idea what's happening outside of their own, immediate world. I used to think that they didn't give a shit, then I began to realize they didn't even know there was something to give a shit about in the first place. Topics like the economy, ebola or black holes are so far outside their reality that it's impossible to imagine ever communicating with them in a meaningful way.

They're just utterly ignorant about 99% of life and it's fucking weird to see; like watching reality-TV style caricatures, except they truly are that way.

As in:

[video=youtube;lj3iNxZ8Dww]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww[/video]

I can't imagine being with someone like that, no matter how physically beautiful.

Reactions: muir
Another: there are some women that literally have no idea what's happening outside of their own, immediate world. I used to think that they didn't give a shit, then I began to realize they didn't even know there was something to give a shit about in the first place. Topics like the economy, ebola or black holes are so far outside their reality that it's impossible to imagine ever communicating with them in a meaningful way.

They're just utterly ignorant about 99% of life and it's fucking weird to see; like watching reality-TV style caricatures, except they truly are that way.

As in:

[video=youtube;lj3iNxZ8Dww]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww[/video]

I can't imagine being with someone like that, no matter how physically beautiful.

The brain is like a muscle...if it is not exercised it atrophes

Do you think that some people...and in particular women...rely too heavily on their looks and neglect their brain?

No, I don't despise children. I don't interact with children that much though, so my answer may be inaccurate. I think I'd be more understanding if it was a child..

But this guy is 26.. Clearly he doesn't wanna grow up.

No reason to "grow up" completely. Its tough to balance maturity and not lose your inner child completely. :)