How does sleep deprivation affect you? | INFJ Forum

How does sleep deprivation affect you?

Keirouen

Community Member
Jun 3, 2014
MBTI
intj
How do you feel when you haven't slept for 24 hours? 48 hours? A week of less than 6 hours of sleep? Anyone else an insomniac?

It's brutal...it makes me turn into a conspiracy theorist researching possible alien interventions into life on earth until 2 in the morning

I can be in bed and know when sleep is just not imminent. Then at some point I can't fight the need to sleep.
It's a different feeling, but I was pretty much the same level of tired at both points.

After staying up all night I get an odd second wind where I can do more things but it is unfocussed, like being slightly drunk.

When I am up for too long I get incredibly grouchy.
I would say sleep deprivation effects me more emotionally
and mentally rather than physically. I have a hard time
focusing on getting tasks done. I will start a project
and as soon as any one part takes total concentration
I will forget what I was doing and the next steps in the
project, etc... I am also significantly less creative.
Probably because I cannot focus and anytime I try to
brainstorm it is almost like I go into a meditative or
half-sleep state as soon as I start trying to use my
brain more than it can handle at that time.

However I do perform at my best in the early hours of
the morning. During high school and college I would
regularly (almost every other day) wake up at 4:30 in
the morning to do my latin and calculus homework.

I would like to see more research on morning people
versus night people. Like maybe during evolution the
people who are more productive in the morning had
different social rules than those that were more awake
during the evening.

That would be an interesting study...particularly if linked to MBTI

I'm definately a night owl

Only tried 48 hours without sleep once. But I was young and enjoyed the company of those friends I profoundly liked. Like dreams in the cloud, shining in quietness.

These days, if I don't sleep more than 6 hours, it's going to kill my entire day. Even coffee wouldn't help. Brain stops working, headache. All my energy would be consumed in thinking "Damn it. When will the day be finishing?"

After I hit about 20-22 hours with no sleep, I actually bypass the tiredness and I'm fully functional the rest of the day so long as I avoid caffeine and sugar. As soon as I consume any of those, I hit a high and then feel like crashing. If I avoid heavy meals and stay hydrated, however, I'm actually fine. I'm actually more creative and giddy. This was a regular thing for me in uni and I still pull all-nighters from time to time when I'm on a roll with a project.

The most I have ever gone without sleep in my life was about 60 hours and I immediately went to bed after I started seeing auras around things.

I feel best after 6-6 1/2 hours of sleep. Anything more than 7 hours, and I actually want to sleep more. A work week of 6 hour nights wouldn't interfere with my functioning so long as I got to catch up on the weekends. A week of 4 hour nights, on the other hand... total zombie. Usually because 4 hour nights are only accompanied by stress of some sort.

If I somehow am able to avoid sleep for 24 hours or more I sleep that day/night for probably around 16 hours or more. I use to do this as a kid and back then I'd sleep the whole 24 hour day *looks up in fondness* I miss those days. But I have allergies, so I'm a abnormally tired person. And an introvert... *shrug* tired all the time.

I have never pulled a true all nighter. At some point, I feel ill, want to vomit, and get a headache. I don't think I would survive 24 hours without sleep!

I see the world I a different way. Not a good way. Also depending on how long its been I may hallucinate.

How do you feel when you haven't slept for 24 hours? 48 hours? A week of less than 6 hours of sleep? Anyone else an insomniac?

I don't think its possible to sleep only 6 hours of sleep. Can it be?

once spent two days awake trying to get my thesis finished. never againnnn

Like TDHT said, I have something like a "check control" for sleep. The control is active for about 20 hours...when I pass that, I trick the control check and become fuly functional, like I would be fuly alive. I think its a matter of will..lthey use this trick in the army alot, to push your limits.

I can go until about the 36 hour mark and stay relatively productive, but past that and I'm utterly worthless. I worked midnights for 4 years in college and I can still pull the successful all-nighter. However, my normal bedtime now is about 11pm and no longer 8am.

I was up for 4 and a half days once…it was when I decided to stop all the fucking pain meds the doctors had me on for my back after taking them for 10 years…I hit the withdrawals pretty hard.
After 2 days I was an emotional wreck…(I was already a physical wreck from the pain)…after 3 days I started to see tracers. I never did have full on hallucinations, but I felt like I was literally “going to die” if I didn’t get some sleep…the 4th day my brain felt like it was physically “buzzing” and “on fire" in my head…I called the doc and got a prescription for some Neurontin…which is an anti-seziure medication and finally….FINALLY…got some sleep.
Worst experience - ever.

Reactions: cvp12gh5
I can only stay up for about 24 hours before I start to look like a miserable wreck. My brain starts to shut down and sleep on its own no matter what, so it gets to the point where I can't keep my balance, can't see straight, can't have conversations, can't read, can't think... I'll be trying to read something and it's like I can't even see words, and at any opportunity my brain will take advantage of any distraction to put me to sleep on the spot.

I have gone for almost two weeks with two hours.

I'm pretty much as batshit insane as I normally am, but my conspiracy theorist, quantum mechanics-ponderer wanna-be ... and uh, I uh, hmm.... I guess I pretty much just have rediculous ADHD right now. I better get to sleep. Ugh I've been on the road for 14 hours and tomorrow even more distance to cover. I might just take it in two days from Winnipeg to Edmonton instead of one, would give me time to explore Jasper a bit. I can prolong work with my savings for an extra day - easily. Thank the Lord for that. Anyway soon I get to work and the homesickness process begins. :D

wait his isnt my blog...

Oh yeah, sleep dep fucks with me hardcore i guess but i kind of like it, i go into these delirious half-dreams after a few days of zero rest. it definitely doesnt feel healthy though. After five days or so I feel like I'm just '"drawing energy from the universe," or gathering qi or life for e from my surroundings with like, magical mindvibes or something.

shit's MAD y0!

I have gone for almost two weeks with two hours.

I'm pretty much as batshit insane as I normally am, but my conspiracy theorist, quantum mechanics-ponderer wanna-be ... and uh, I uh, hmm.... I guess I pretty much just have rediculous ADHD right now. I better get to sleep. Ugh I've been on the road for 14 hours and tomorrow even more distance to cover. I might just take it in two days from Winnipeg to Edmonton instead of one, would give me time to explore Jasper a bit. I can prolong work with my savings for an extra day - easily. Thank the Lord for that. Anyway soon I get to work and the homesickness process begins. :D

wait his isnt my blog...

Oh yeah, sleep dep fucks with me hardcore i guess but i kind of like it, i go into these delirious half-dreams after a few days of zero rest. it definitely doesnt feel healthy though. After five days or so I feel like I'm just '"drawing energy from the universe," or gathering qi or life for e from my surroundings with like, magical mindvibes or something.

shit's MAD y0!

I have ridiculous ADHD without the sleep deprivation. Don't sweat it, I'm a quantum physicists wannabe too XD

When I'm sleep deprived my worldview gets seriously jacked up. The world is a chaotic and disconnected place. Everyone is out for his and her self. No one understands my suffering. It's truly depressing. Add to that the fact that I feel like a zombie even when I do sleep.

Interesting... You can drive for 14 hours straight after staying up all night?

I am a chronic insomniac. Have been for most of my life and considering I'm 45, its been awhile.

I tend to get really, really loopy and less analytical (more Mae West too! LOL) when I hit a day without sleep or a week of only 3 to 4 hours of sleep a night.

I average about 5 to 6 hours of sleep a weeknight, sometimes it is hit and miss...one night 4 hours, one night 7 hours kinda thing. During the work week I require a minimum of 4 hours to be functional...less than 4 hours and I'm a zombie. I typically shoot for bed time between 1am to 3am with a rising time of 7am to 8am. I typically hit bed at 2am with a rising time of 8am. A good week is to get at least 6 hours a night, but that rarely happens. I will sometimes wake up at night which interferes with my ability to really "count" 6 hours of sleep.

I have a tendency to suffer from night terrors. I think my conscious mind is aware that my body becomes paralyzed while in deep sleep. I fight it and dream about being unable to move with this weird strobe light effect where it feels I'm being pulled in and out of the dream. I become determined to move a part of my body and in my dream, when I manage to move something or get to the door, I wake up. I also wake up instantly. I normally don't have periods of grogginess or confusion when I wake up...I'm UP.

I've been sick lately so I'm extra tired and have been getting a bit more sleep like around 8 to 10 hours some days. The only time I really sleep for longer than 7 hours is if I'm sick or I've had a horrible run of little sleep. A lot of times I make up my sleep on Friday night into Saturday morning by getting a good 9 to 10 hours of sleep after a work week of maybe 20 to 30 hours of sleep.

The only really obvious sign of sleep deprivation is a degree of silliness and I can get more flirty. I try to avoid driving because I am more prone to get sleepy while driving (I blast the cold air and in extreme cases slap myself to stay awake). I am a pro at hitting the "wall" and being able to walk through to the other side and maintain the same level of productivity.

The only change from my early 20s and such is that I am unable to maintain the constant 4 hour nights or all nighters indefinitely like I did back then. I would live on nodoze, Excedrin and lemon drops. Nodoze for the caffeine since I don't drink coffee, Excedrin for the headaches from the eyestrain of being up for so long and lemon drops for the sugar. I was really busy back in the day and got barely any sleep for years. I realized it was really bad for me and basically stopped taking any medication unless I really need to....my doctors are constantly frustrated with me because I am very skeptical about taking medication.

I shy away from all nighters these days. But when you can stay up for 20 hours, sleep 4 and function, I don't really need to worry about pulling an all nighter anyway.

Last edited:
Pluses:
1. More creative.
Minuses:
1. Nervous, in order to be awake.
2. Emotional, surprisingly so.
3. Lazy, hard to motivate myself.
4. Pessimistic, complete opposite to my nature.
5. Gluttonous, eat more when not sleeping. Usually gain weigh when doing so.