How do you feel about cat calling? | Page 15 | INFJ Forum

How do you feel about cat calling?

[MENTION=5601]ezra[/MENTION]
I don't think I'm hot, I'm probably average but even then it wouldn't be right. I saw those guys again I guess they work nearby, I'm thinking about answering something instead of ignoring them if I'm going to see them everytime pass by. But I don't what I can say, I'm really petite so they'll probably won't take me seriously.

I have a similar experience to what you described. It's unwelcome and tends to make me feel uncomfortable and, depending on the nature of it, unsafe.

"How do you feel about cat calling?"

I feel like it's appropriate when you're trying to get an actual feline's attention. As in, "come here Fluffy, I have your Meow Mix."

Also, the whole answering vs. ignoring is difficult. I typically just ignore, keep my head down, if I'm walking try to just keep on quickly walking. I tend to be afraid that if I say something, it'll just exacerbate the situation.

Also, the whole answering vs. ignoring is difficult. I typically just ignore, keep my head down, if I'm walking try to just keep on quickly walking. I tend to be afraid that if I say something, it'll just exacerbate the situation.
What do I do? Should I go to class through another way. Or shoul I ask to a big classmate to tell them something once I get some trust?
ey "How do you feel about cat calling?"
I feel like if was in a store window, they watch me as I'm not a person, and make some stupid remarks as if I should be flattered. Do they really think will stop and thank them??

I personally have never cat called in my life. It goes against the grain.

I'm a dude tend not to get cat called, but I find it highly annoying when I hear someone do this on the street.
In my opinion it is inappropriate to yell or be loud in public places or to get into someones personal space. That includes making remarks that might not be appreciated.
It's wrong to make people feel uncomfortable on purpose, and most people would feel uncomfortable getting personal remarks from people they do not know.

I think it's wrong. Over all I also tend to believe that the people who do this have an oppressive dominant streak in them, so I do think they view the people they call out to as just another THING to dominate.
Personally, I think people like that are trouble and highly insensitive. I don't know of any way to counter it cause I agree with the thought of these guys being bullies that you don't know.
And bullies as you know, don't like loosing, so going actively against them might not always have the best result.

Personally, I don't think calling the cops on such guys is a bad idea.
If you say you're being verbally harassed and feel unsafe walking on the street because of a person who cat calls to you, then police will have to send someone by to that location.
Whilst they cannot really do anything about it, they should be able to give a clear indication such behavior is unwanted, after all, it is a public disturbance.

As for muir, I do not believe the way someone dresses gives you the the right or an excuse to do this stuff so whilst it might help a little to walk around like dressed in a Halloween ghost costume, I think this is a social issue that needs to be sorted out.
Perhaps we as a part of society need to step up for others when we see/hear this occur and if we know of family members who do this, bitch to them for doing so.
Because really, the only way to make things like cat calling stop, is through disapproving pressure from ones family and friends.
Cause even if someone makes a victory standing up for themselves against a cat caller, they will just do it again to another.

I personally have never cat called in my life. It goes against the grain.

Me neither but that is beside the point.

it's the third time I write this, I don't know why it doesn't post.

[MENTION=11651]Artisan[/MENTION]I don't want to call the police because I have an overly protective family and it would make me feel even more overwhelmed than I already do. I want to take care of it by myself if I can. Would a (you're disgusting) face work? If this guys keep cat calling me everytime they see my I might explode and it's better to avoid that.

it's the third time I write this, I don't know why it doesn't post.

[MENTION=11651]Artisan[/MENTION]I don't want to call the police because I have an overly protective family and it would make me feel even more overwhelmed than I already do. I want to take care of it by myself if I can. Would a (you're disgusting) face work? If this guys keep cat calling me everytime they see my I might explode and it's better to avoid that.

I dunno I'm not the kinda guy who cat calls so I might react differently. But I think not everyone would react well to being looked at with disgust or contempt.

I dunno I'm not the kinda guy who cat calls so I might react differently. But I think not everyone would react well to being looked at with disgust or contempt.

This is geting on my nerves, I don't know what to do.

This is geting on my nerves, I don't know what to do.

we'll I'd call the police but... if you can't call the cops then there's not much you can do.
You could possibly round up a lot of your female friends and walk by cat calling as obnoxiously as you can to those guys before they can to you..
still...

As for muir, I do not believe the way someone dresses gives you the the right or an excuse to do this stuff so whilst it might help a little to walk around like dressed in a Halloween ghost costume, I think this is a social issue that needs to be sorted out.
Perhaps we as a part of society need to step up for others when we see/hear this occur and if we know of family members who do this, bitch to them for doing so.
Because really, the only way to make things like cat calling stop, is through disapproving pressure from ones family and friends.
Cause even if someone makes a victory standing up for themselves against a cat caller, they will just do it again to another.

what [MENTION=1871]muir[/MENTION] said wasn't that off base. And it's not something that as a man i only think of anyway, but other women think of each other the same way much more frequently, many times i heard those commentaries between them, quite a concensous thing. If you're gonna go with hot pants, or cleavage, on a highly crowded city then the responsibility lies at least partly on the one who wears it for better and worse, and now as i recall a couple of events were female friends have been through that, they were pretty aware of it, at least to an extent ( oh yeah, but i was wearing this huge cleavage you know, so i guess i should have seen that coming).

Last edited:
I hate it! So disrespectful, and degrading. I can't stand aggression, especially in those kinds of relationships (or, relations, I guess). It immediately puts me off anyone who does it. Permanently.

we'll I'd call the police but... if you can't call the cops then there's not much you can do.
You could possibly round up a lot of your female friends and walk by cat calling as obnoxiously as you can to those guys before they can to you..
still...

By the moment I only have a friend and she lives far away in the peninsula. But I have a classmate that is quite older that me, she could be my mom, and althought we are still not close I think she will be with some time, I hope so. It's easy for me to get along with people but to get close? Not so much, not at all.

what [MENTION=1871]muir[/MENTION] said wasn't that off base. And it's not something that as a man i only think of anyway, but other women think of each other the same way much more frequently, many times i heard those commentaries between them, quite a concensous thing. If you're gonna go with hot pants, or cleavage, on a highly crowded city then the responsibility lies at least partly on the one who wears it for better and worse, and now as i recall a couple of events were female friends have been through that, they were pretty aware of it, at least to an extent ( oh yeah, but i was wearing this huge cleavage you know, so i guess i should have seen that coming).

Of couse there's women that are sexist, even more that some terrible guys, that's partly because of society and how they have been brought up. If you're wearing reveling clothes it shouldn't be an reason to worry about, it's not an excuse for anything. This kind of guys don't need a cleavage or hot pants, they only see the body that's inside. Woman get abused wearing burka, little girls too, so the attire is not the cause. Even if you see a naked woman it doesn't give the right to do her or tell her anything that she doesn't want. The problem relies on how this guys, and girls, have been educated and the media that have influenced them.

What kind of an island not connected to a continent are you on? In my observation catcalling is culturally dependent, for example it seems common and overwhelming at times in Turkey, south America, the Iberian peninsula, the middle east, India. It's not Australia is it? If so my condolences, I heard its pretty bad.

What kind of an island not connected to a continent are you on? In my observation catcalling is culturally dependent, for example it seems common and overwhelming at times in Turkey, south America, the Iberian peninsula, the middle east, India. It's not Australia is it? If so my condolences, I heard its pretty bad.

I live in Majorca, Spain.

Of couse there's women that are sexist, even more that some terrible guys, that's partly because of society and how they have been brought up. If you're wearing reveling clothes it shouldn't be an reason to worry about, it's not an excuse for anything. This kind of guys don't need a cleavage or hot pants, they only see the body that's inside. Woman get abused wearing burka, little girls too, so the attire is not the cause. Even if you see a naked woman it doesn't give the right to do her or tell her anything that she doesn't want. The problem relies on how this guys, and girls, have been educated and the media that have influenced them.

It's not a sexist thing at all imo, but of course it's not an excuse and it's not like they're asking for it as many guys complain. It's more about common sense, which many women know of anyway from what i've heard and observed. It's pretty naive to assume that what you wear won't cause an impression in others, specially in public area, but that's besides the point.

It's not a sexist thing at all imo, but of course it's not an excuse and it's not like they're asking for it as many guys complain. It's more about common sense, which many women know of anyway from what i've heard and observed. It's pretty naive to assume that what you wear won't cause an impression in others, specially in public area, but that's besides the point.

Ok that's your opinion. What you wear causes an impresion but you choose what to do with it.

Ok that's your opinion. What you wear causes an impresion but you choose what to do with it.

I tried to make that same point with a lot more words.
Because even if someone walks around in nothing but their underwear, I do not believe that gives anyone the right to loosen up social rules and common courtesy.

Cat calls are annoying in Summer. Every morning for about two weeks, my neigbour's cat starts "mumbling" in a loud meow. It always ends up with a very loud shriek/cat-call.

Cat calls are annoying in Summer. Every morning for about two weeks, my neigbour's cat starts "mumbling" in a loud meow. It always ends up with a very loud shriek/cat-call.

How dehumanizing. That kitteh has no respect.

Cat calling is more annoying than it is validating.
It's also passive and useless as these guys don't plan on following through with it. Not that it was a good ice-breaker to begin with.

I suppose it's a way to feel like you're a man from the comfort of being 50 feet away.