How do you disappear?

arbygil

Passing through
Nov 29, 2008
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
As INFJs I think we're all very adept at withdrawing when we need to/want to. But how are some ways you choose to disappear? And do you think all are healthy for you? Definition of disappearing: Withdrawing too much and risking who you essentially are.

I think I use Se heavy activities that aren't always healthy in larger amounts: gaming, wandering around the Internet (just say no!), and nibbling (step away from the chocolate NOW!).

Before, I used to read a lot of books or go see good/deep movies, or write stories and poems. Or draw cartoons. I used to engage my mind a little bit to balance myself. Now? Hm. I do such things less and less - which bugs me.

Ah, well. I think we all go through the blues, but sometimes we need to go from blue to green.

i withdraw to the point when i no longer care how far i go, emotionally and mentally distancing myself from loved ones and friends...

... and once i am to that point, i find myself wanting to connect with others again, only to have to build up bridges along the way...

... i've been in this state for the past 3-4 months now...

just cut off connection - emails, IMs, keep the phone off. essentially, becoming a hermit.

sleep. lots of sleep.

I try very hard not to let it get out of hand, because I could very easily lock myself in my room and never leave. I do all the obvious; reading, writing, watching tv/internet videos, meditating, listening to music and also organizing things when things are messy. I also enjoy video games quite a bit, but have played hardly any in recent months.

Also posting on forums. :m158:

Last edited:
I become reclusive.

My room loses all exits and my bed becomes a cocoon.

heh i don't have a room so i use the internet.But i think my magic spells works well.I just think that i want to disappear and have no presence in others.

arbygil Before said:
Wow I completely understand what you are saying. I do that a lot. I will get totally involved in something and then I can just drop it. I did that with photography for the longest time. Now i am into it again. It seems like I rotate my hobbies thru depression and it is only my hobbies that pull me out of it too. I really enjoy all my hobbies and I have quite a few. And I can withdraw into any of them and be totally alone doing them.

Always hated team sports and would not play them because the kids always treated me like shit when I was on a team. So I got into Bmx bikes and rode all the time. Got pretty good at it too. I still ride them today it's one of my oldest hobbies. That bike took me away from everybody who bothered me. I could outride them and they hated me even more for it. I still got away. Got chased by assholes in cars too. Never got me I was always aware that some one was looking for me.

So I think for me withdrawing into my hobbies gives me something to do that helps me work out my anger and depression so I can maintain my sense of balance. I know phucking essay lol

Sometimes I wonder if you are actually an SP efromm.

Maybe, just the picking up and then dropping of various interests seems like an SP thing to do and you seem to enjoy living in the moment so much which is also a SP trait. I would definitely look into it.

ISFP Profile

Last edited:
internet for me too, unfortunately because I often end up feeling guilty about not doing anything really constructive...

otherwise drawing/painting, or writing in my diary. Actually I find the diary thing really good because on top of physical withdrawal it also allows you to step back and analyse the state you are in and/or what you are going through at the moment. I find it adds to the distance you take with the external world, in a positive way.

i withdraw to the point when i no longer care how far i go, emotionally and mentally distancing myself from loved ones and friends...

... i've been in this state for the past 3-4 months now...

Exactly like that, except I don't always want to reconect to people. Just want to be alone, which is really weird to outsiders ("what's wrong with you?" "Are you ok?" "You look sad" ..........)

Reading and lots and lots and lots of writing when I was younger (youth/teens/20's).

Painting, sketching and decoupaging a little later (20's/30's).

For the past 10 years it's all been computer-related escapism (IRC, games, forums). For the entire first year here after we moved, my son, husband and I all became addicted to Runescape and played incessantly. Then Tom quit and went on to become an Eve online junkie, and that's where he's remained. I really liked it when we were all escaped to the same fantasy world :(

Now though sometimes being online is even a bit too "connected" for me, so I'll go to my room and re-watch one of my "comfort" DVDs (Sense & Sensibility, Serenity, Bleak House) with my dog.

Of all of my Disappearing Acts, I firmly believe the time I spent in artistic endeavors was the most healthy. I replenished all my art supplies a few months ago, but just can't get inspired. At least I know it's all there should I need it.

Exactly like that, except I don't always want to reconect to people. Just want to be alone, which is really weird to outsiders ("what's wrong with you?" "Are you ok?" "You look sad" ..........)

... the longest i withdrew from people spanned a few years... and toward the end, i realized i need the social interaction in my life...

... being mentally and emtionally away for a long period of time was taking a toll on my physical and well-being states...

... so now when i withdraw from people, i try not let it control me...

-----edit-----

i also write in journals, some entries for pages at a time... i have journals that have taken place over the past 7 years and now i'm looking at getting one of them published at the moment though...

Last edited:
I forgot to mention when I am depressed/upset all I want to do is sleep... alot.