How do you De-stress? | INFJ Forum

How do you De-stress?

Chessie

Community Member
Apr 5, 2010
MBTI
INfJ
I want to know how INFJ's in particular manage stress. I know the other types have their own methods but I am curious about the INFJ type specifically.

INFJ's are, under normal circumstances, some of the most awesome people there are. On the flip side if you put them under stress then they can get deeply irrational, critical, angry, cold, callous, uncommunicative, and obsessed by detail.

My long time lover is currently doing about...well, all of those things. I'm trying to get him out of it but I would love some methods for de-stressing an INFJ.

I withdraw, shut myself away, and suck my thumb. Best thing you can do is leave him alone, don't try to get him out of it, he'll emerge eventually, just be there for him.

Last edited:
Chocolate. :D

But de-stressing...usually I have to go somewhere quiet and comfortable and read a book. And when I say quiet, I mean QUIET. No noise whatsoever! That calm, weird, high pitched nothingness that only the best dogs can hear? Yeah. I mean that quiet.

Reactions: rawr
By Reading Fan Fiction.

Or giving myself a mind massage via YouTube

Ahhh, fanfiction. :D I do that too, SotL. A good ficcie is worth its salt, yup.

If I don't read it, I'll probably de-stress by writing fanfiction...or RPGing it.

Ahhh, fanfiction. :D I do that too, SotL. A good ficcie is worth its salt, yup.

If I don't read it, I'll probably de-stress by writing fanfiction...or RPGing it.

hey speaking of fanfictions (and books in general) do you ever find that the anticipation of reading them is better than the actual experience?

hey speaking of fanfictions (and books in general) do you ever find that the anticipation of reading them is better than the actual experience?
Sometimes it is, but most of the times It's worth it.
Reading just the right fanfic can really make my day :)

Some of them? Absolutely - especially if it's with a particular writer I've enjoyed in the past. Some folks have issues executing a good idea (counts self as one of 'em).

Lol i've got to try that sometime ;)
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njuDwhB5M7Y"]YouTube - Lita's Mind Massage Audio - Part 1 (stay tuned for part 2!)[/ame]

I made a card for my INFJ friend when she was stressed. Mind you this was more for me then for her, I never gave it to her in fact.. I intended to, but I think it was my own way to vent while she relaxed on her own. When an INFJ is stressed I think about it like having a big bump that you can't really touch because it hurts more. It's too sensitive to everything so you have to leave it alone for a bit. The more you prod at it trying to fix it when you don't know how, the worse it gets.

Giving her the card would have been a mistake, later she apologized and thanked me for being patient. I'm glad I was able to stop my impulsive need to DO something about a problem. She sometimes needs time to lick her own wounds, something about INFJs I've noticed is that they want attention or affection only when they want it.. Surprising them is rarely okay, and attempting to be affectionate when they arent looking for it, is risky cause they might not be in the mood. If they aren't they might feel a bit smothered, so just be patient and be there for them when needed. They are actually pretty good as showing when they want affection if you pay close attention.

Mind you the above description is not ALL infjs and its not all the time. Its mostly about when their stress levels are way too high. It's also based off my small experience with an INFJ and I'm not the most perceptive or tactful lol. I don't mean to insult any INFJs, its just a bit tricky to do right by this type sometimes.. specially when they don't make their needs known, or when they close up.

alcohol

I lose myself in something else entirely.
It doesn't matter what it is as long as it's
a distraction from reality.

I get away from everything and everyone for a while.

Music.

Long showers. I fucking love long long showers.

I'm talking spending 40 minutes inside my little bathroom chamber. It's like an oasis away from home for me. I only wash myself for about 5 minutes, the rest of the time I just sit in the tub enjoying the water flowing around me and letting my thoughts decompress.

Other things I do is go for midnight walks if I'm not super tired, or just be alone in my room browsing internet websites such as thus.

When I'm stressed I'm not so keen on talking in person but I love to talk with close friends online and maybe vent a little with a bit of pre-warning that I am venting :p

Listening to chillout music on http://www.di.fm is also very welcome for me.

I lose myself in something else entirely.
It doesn't matter what it is as long as it's
a distraction from reality.

+1

I find crying helps too, if I need to cry, which only happens with higher levels of stress.

Last edited:
Daily stress-management comes in a 40oz bottle and retails for 3.25 with a 50-cent debit fee for a total of 3.75.