How do people (mis)type you? | Page 8 | INFJ Forum

How do people (mis)type you?

Oh speaking of which, I always found the whole dung beetle thing funny and analogous to Sisyphus, which is of course where Wile E Coyote draws it's inspiration from partly.
I don't know if others had pieced this together or if I ever openly stated it, but there ya go :thumbsup:

giphy-3.gif

I've gotten a hodgepodge mix of typings.

ENTP, ENFP, INFP, INTP, ISFP, INFJ, ENFJ, and ISFJ are the main ones that come to mind... Certainly narrows it down, lol.

I think it can be difficult to type me though, because I have a tendency to only show certain aspects of myself at a time. For instance, times when my love of art was on high display, I had a few decide I was ISFP, since a stereotype of ISFPs is an association with or fondness for the arts. Given that I am, in reality, a private person, it can take a long time to get to truly know me and to see the whole picture, instead of the bits and pieces off of which most seem to make their judgments.

As another example, one aspect of mine that can come to the forefront, is my weird goofiness, love of humor, and fondness for shenanigans. Only getting to know this one aspect of me can color perceptions, as well. Despite this being a core part of who I am, my tendency to be serious, and to in fact take things too seriously, is even more sizeable. Thankfully, the goofy aspect can keep me from sinking too deeply into that, although there have been notable periods of my life when that lighter part of me was almost completely inaccessible.

And apologies, for rambling a bit.

hush said:
had a few decide I was ISFP, since a stereotype of ISFPs is an association with or fondness for the arts

My fondness for introducing counterexamples pulls me to mention

Jung said:
The peculiar nature of introverted intuition, when given the priority, also produces a peculiar type of man, viz. the mystical dreamer and seer on the one hand, or the fantastical crank and artist on the other. The latter might be regarded as the normal case, since there is a general tendency of this type to confine himself to the perceptive character of intuition.

I.e. not only is artist~introverted intuitive a possible association, it's pretty natural.

Not that this is anything about your type, just an observation!

Despite this being a core part of who I am, my tendency to be serious, and to in fact take things too seriously, is even more sizeable

I'm kind of like this too....in my case though it's not so much to remain private as to try to help not scare people any more than they already are (and similarly not scare myself).

In a way I'm not sure if I'm serious/not...I'm very much so in the sense of taking harm very seriously/nonnegotiable to avoid. But not so in the sense that I actually think a lot of harm comes OF people taking things too seriously, forming dogmas and religions over things, and simple warmth and so on goes a long way.
(Not too strange that I love the hobbits/LOTR stuffs.)

There's a part of me that cannot accept a pragmatic approach to harm, which is "look it's unavoidable, deal with it when it happens" and must look for an a priori fix. My focuses are on simple warmth + greater reasonableness. I tend to think most excuses that we can't be more reasonable are pretty bad, as it's very different from asking someone to be a genius -- simply get used to not getting stuck in a POV and you can even say you know basically nothing. Not hard.

Last edited:
I used to try only the introvert types on, FWIW. Basically kept waffling among some kind of Ti-dom or Ni-dom for a very long time.

This is kinda why, as much as I'm pretty Jungian purist on a lot of things, I don't think he's very helpful for e/i issues. His e-types were concretist, overly willing to align judgments with the generally accepted, and so on, and this is a valid dichotomy (it's sort of a jab towards brute unreflective pragmatists)...but not a helpful one to sort out the vast array of attitudes that don't fall into those extremes.

Some some here initially types me as xSxJ. Which is understandable considering I'm Asian. Asians are very SJ types. Add also the fact that my Enneagram is 1 which can be very Si in terms of functions.

Anyhow this were like 2-3 people. The rest told me I'm very INFJ. Specially NT's (which I've asked a bunch to type me objectively without bias.

I've also had the privilege to be type in-depth for like 3-4days.. which ended up as xNFJ.

:)

Some some here initially types me as xSxJ. Which is understandable considering I'm Asian. Asians are very SJ types. Add also the fact that my Enneagram is 1 which can be very Si in terms of functions.

Anyhow this were like 2-3 people. The rest told me I'm very INFJ. Specially NT's (which I've asked a bunch to type me objectively without bias.

I've also had the privilege to be type in-depth for like 3-4days.. which ended up as xNFJ.

:)

That's very interesting! Do you think there is a chance you might be an extrovert - or are you, so to speak, confident in your introversion? ;)

Reactions: Ginny
That's very interesting! Do you think there is a chance you might be an extrovert - or are you, so to speak, confident in your introversion? ;)

I'm VERY confident with my introversion. I don't have problems with extraversion either just prefer my alone time. I'm too much of a loner to be an extravert but I'm also assertive I think. So I can come off as an extravert. :)

Reactions: Gaze, Ginny and Ren
Ni is the eternal return :wink::laughing:

great-meme-revelation-moment_o_690975.gif

So the "eternal return" only means the repetition of Ni moments, the circularity of synthesis?

Nietzsche was Ni-dom.... so he was only talking about himself?

I think you're on to something here. :whoa: We have just synthetized MBTI and Thus Spoke Zarathustra!

Makes sense to me lol

To me too! Of course. This reminds me of when @Lady Jolanda said about my writing that it was basically an exploration of what it means to use Ni lol :sweatsmile: If my ambition is to create a universally relatable system, I guess I have much work waiting for me still.

I'm VERY confident with my introversion. I don't have problems with extraversion either just prefer my alone time. I'm too much of a loner to be an extravert but I'm also assertive I think. So I can come off as an extravert. :)

I relate to that. I don't have problems with "occasional extraversion" (or what may look like it) and I'm relatively assertive I guess, but I also looooooooooove my alone time almost as much as I love my family. :<3blue:

Online I usually got mistyped as ENFP, real-life idk, maybe ESFJ.
People in real life usually don't believe I'm an introvert, especially comparing to more obviously introverted types like IxTx.

People in real life usually don't believe I'm an introvert, especially comparing to more obviously introverted types like IxTx.

I call it the "Fe effect" in introverts ;)

Reactions: heartcore and Wyote
Oh yeah, here's another good thing to mention -- I think over time, I'd say the most obvious thing about me probably is I'm a N-dom, and plausibly NTFS with a N-subtype (meaning the more N-ish less T-ish version).

But this sorta suggests if I didn't type as ENTp I'd do so as INTp. This is in fact my estimate/I have considered it. The reason I do so is my concept of these things might be somewhat different (although I think well-motivated).

I don't think the way some think that this would be obvious to them,maybe some would say there's-no-way-you-could-be-a-Te-type.

It's probably also worth mentioning that part of this package is that I a) think people vary in terms of what facets of type they display most strongly (this constitutes variations within a type's instances), b) I think any facet could be where someone is strongest eg it doesn't have to be on an 'axis' like Ti/Fe, easily could just be (like I said) the NTFS or something else.

Oh yeah, here's another good thing to mention -- I think over time, I'd say the most obvious thing about me probably is I'm a N-dom, and plausibly NTFS with a N-subtype (meaning the more N-ish less T-ish version).

But this sorta suggests if I didn't type as ENTp I'd do so as INTp. This is in fact my estimate/I have considered it. The reason I do so is my concept of these things might be somewhat different (although I think well-motivated).

I don't think the way some think that this would be obvious to them,maybe some would say there's-no-way-you-could-be-a-Te-type.

It's probably also worth mentioning that part of this package is that I a) think people vary in terms of what facets of type they display most strongly (this constitutes variations within a type's instances), b) I think any facet could be where someone is strongest eg it doesn't have to be on an 'axis' like Ti/Fe, easily could just be (like I said) the NTFS or something else.

Do you mean INTp as in INTJ in MBTI?

I don't think your Te is very obvious, but I've never met you in person, so. On another front, if you allow me to quote an old post of yours:

And my persona is stereotypically nervous, warm, long analytical rants, easily distracted. Manifestly terrible sensation/walking around with low awareness of surroundings. Grossly impractical + can only do what interests me at the moment.

The "long analytical rants" part sounds very Ne-Ti-Fe to my ears, and not only because one of my best friends is ENTP and does that. Actually you could almost see the functions through the words, in a manner of speaking: "rant" for Ne, "analytical" for "Ti" and "long" for Fe-tertiary. In my experience it's quite typical of Fe-tertiary people to be quite friendly but not always aware of when they 'should' end their rant if they're in the presence of someone else. An Fe-aux for instance would naturally be quite conscious of things like "I should let that person speak now, etc."

I'm not saying you're a dictator in discourse, but only meant to give a vivid illustration. ;)

Ren said:
Do you mean INTp as in INTJ in MBTI?

Yup that's right; I use 8-function models anyway, so everything's in there already.

The basic idea, though, is Te here smells kinda similar to philosophical pragmatism varieties. The parallel is there basically because the idea is "Look, if we can't say anything about X, then for our purposes X doesn't exist." It's the same idea as thinking of Te as focusing on what can be measured, explicitly stated, and so on.

Now I definitely think I remind myself most of the Ne/Ti philosophy, which would include all the outlandish possibilities and then say this sounds less likely than that at the end.... however, there is a part of me that, more than some others, still is focused on what is reasonable more than what is actual. I think this leads to a somewhat more i-seeming orientation, because this focuses more on how things seem to me the subject than on a state of affairs existing independent of me.

I think all this relates to the extra elimination of doubt you seem to get from introducing a little pragmatism into your philosophy vs striving for complete objectivity can lead to extreme skepticism about achieving it.

In my experience it's quite typical of Fe-tertiary people to be quite friendly but not always aware of when they 'should' end their rant if they're in the presence of someone else. An Fe-aux for instance would naturally be quite conscious of things like "I should let that person speak now, etc."

I am the WORST at not interrupting people/following etiquette

I think I'm often fairly decent at being gentle, but basically this is why it's a childlike function -- beyond basic things like being gentle, I often overstep :p

Yup that's right; I use 8-function models anyway, so everything's in there already.

The basic idea, though, is Te here smells kinda similar to philosophical pragmatism varieties. The parallel is there basically because the idea is "Look, if we can't say anything about X, then for our purposes X doesn't exist." It's the same idea as thinking of Te as focusing on what can be measured, explicitly stated, and so on.

Philosophical pragmatism is interesting in concept but can make for the dullest reading ever. If I need to sleep but had too much coffee :sippingcoffee:, let me pick up a pragmatist book and 15 minutes later I'll be like this: :inbed:

Rant aside, I get your idea of Te. But don't you think it involves something else as well? Marx wasn't what you would call a pragmatist by any stretch of the imagination, but dialectical materialism sounds extremely Te to my ears. Like the logic of world history being determined by the evolution of the means of production in a dialectical way. Sounds like a mix of Te and Ni.

I am the WORST at not interrupting people/following etiquette

I think I'm often fairly decent at being gentle, but basically this is why it's a childlike function -- beyond basic things like being gentle, I often overstep :p

Good thing it's not possible to interrupt the written word then :bigsmile:

Last edited:
Well, after doing this test (thanks @Happy Phantom) it seems clear that in terms of subtypes, I am an N-subtype :p

renresults.png

PS. For those interested, the test is at this link: http://jung.test.typologycentral.com/ - Share your results so we can continue the discussion :)

Ren said:
But don't you think it involves something else as well? Marx wasn't what you would call a pragmatist by any stretch of the imagination, but dialectical materialism sounds extremely Te to my ears

So there's rarely a direct correspondence between the functions and a philosophy, basically because the former contribute more to the psychology of the philosophy.
I'd take what I said as just a helpful intuitive analogy!

So there's rarely a direct correspondence between the functions and a philosophy, basically because the former contribute more to the psychology of the philosophy.
I'd take what I said as just a helpful intuitive analogy!

You're right. If anything, it's not Marx's philosophy that will reveal his use of Te or not, but the way he articulates his philosophy.

At least it will be a more direct way to make an assessment.