How do people (mis)type you? | Page 10 | INFJ Forum

How do people (mis)type you?

How the heck are you all making it so big?
Given that yours is invisible, it's not very hard to make it bigger :p
(Can you repost it? I'd love to see your results too.)

@ Everyone, did you guys get the 'right' type assigned in your result? The test claims I'm an INTP. How it managed to get that from the stacking below is really beyond me. :tearsofjoy: That's what you get if you let a sensor design your algorithm. *flees*

upload_2018-5-18_12-18-22.png

@Ginny I refined my understanding of Ni partly thanks to some of your insights so I certainly hope you didn't misunderstand it - or else I'm also in trouble!

@Ginny I refined my understanding of Ni partly thanks to some of your insights so I certainly hope you didn't misunderstand it - or else I'm also in trouble!
I hope so too. But I don't think so, otherwise I would probably have received some massive BS shitstorm. That is, unless people are too timid to tell me off.

Yeah you guys aren't ENTPs, don't worry :relaxed:

Ginny, you're not wrong, and your contributions have been very helpful for my own understanding as well. :blush:

I guess part of the Ne-Ni distinction is in the phrasing of the questions in the test, and an other part may be that it's 'relatively easy' to switch between the two modes? It's still intuition after all, a mode of thinking you're already used to. For example, I get those Ni "Aha!" light bulb moments too. They're amazing and dazzling and make me want to lock myself up inside my apartment and just think for days lol. But perhaps you guys get them much more often?

It's still intuition after all, a mode of thinking you're already used to. For example, I get those Ni "Aha!" light bulb moments too. They're amazing and dazzling and make me want to lock myself up inside my apartment and just think for days lol. But perhaps you guys get them much more often?
Agreed.

I think they are a brief and sudden moment of clarity wherein all the individual parts you couldn't place finally fit and it gives you that rush that you want to continue until you pass out. I don't think they are frequent for me, but then again, my Ni isn't precisely what it could be. :relaxed:

But Ni is the gift we get for not getting Si.

Agreed.

I think they are a brief and sudden moment of clarity wherein all the individual parts you couldn't place finally fit and it gives you that rush that you want to continue until you pass out. I don't think they are frequent for me, but then again, my Ni isn't precisely what it could be. :relaxed:
Yes, exactly! Those moments give a buzz of energy and inspiration. :blush:

Take more baths Ginny. :D Your Ni will be where you want it in no time :D

scoring too high on Ne.

D:<

No such thing!!

*joins the ENTPs in a burst of offended outrage*

@Lady Jolanda room for one more? :joey:

@ Everyone, did you guys get the 'right' type assigned in your result?

Oh yeah it gave me INFJ, I just lobbed that part off in my SS. Not that that's necessarily the right type, but...

No such thing!!

*joins the ENTPs in a burst of offended outrage.

Ne is great! I meant "compared to what you'd expect of an archetypal INFJ stack".

Oh yeah it gave me ENTP, I just lobbed that part off in my SS. Everyone knows it's my type anyway. ENTP Type 5.

Indeed! :grin:

Ne is great! I meant "compared to what you'd expect of an archetypal INFJ stack".

Yeah I know, I just had to tease. :p

:m071:

ENTP was the first result I ever got, in regards to MBTI. We were required to take the test in a psych class at my university, my first semester there. But my E/I was a clean split, 50/50... and I was only 18, and...

Yup, this explains it very nicely. Can definitely relate.

No such thing!!

*joins the ENTPs in a burst of offended outrage*

@Lady Jolanda room for one more? :joey:

tonyharrisonsmall.png

You insignificant Ni dabblers wish your Ne was as highly developed as ours!

Oh. Never mind.

upload_2018-5-18_15-40-52.jpeg

You insignificant Ni dabblers wish your Ne was as highly developed as ours!

Bow to me, the lord of intuition, all ye puny mortals!

functions.jpg

I found the test just as frustrating as all the other related tests on the internet, so this is going to be a bit of a rant.

I often don't get clear results from tests like this because I start to think about the wordings and how the questions should be interpreted, seeing a number of possibilities, and consequently I just choose something because the questions start to seem meaningless. For example, the very first question:

"After being with a large group of people, I need some time to myself."

How can I possibly answer that? After the rain comes the sun. How can I consider what I need, when it's a given that after I've been with a large group of people, I am no longer with them, that is, I am either by myself or with someone really close to me with whom I can relax. I cannot know if there's an absolute need to be by myself if it's a given that after being to a concert I no longer will be in a crowd anyway. Or does it mean that I will be so tired that I won't want to go to a pub afterwards? But if I've been to a concert, maybe I'm just tired from all the sensory information, not from being with people, regardless of whether I've talked to them. Usually after being with people I feel rather energized, not drained, but then things get normal and I don't see anybody for weeks. But that's just returning to my life, and it's easier to continue the earlier patterns than to start new ones. Besides, going to a pub isn't interesting anyway. What about if I had to attend a philosophy conference afterwards, or poetry reading? That might be nice, but perhaps I'd rather go for an ice cream instead. And what does it mean to have time to myself? If I'm in a relationship, I don't have a huge need to be absolutely alone, because the warmth and the trust will make the situation comfortable, and I don't need downtime after being with the one I love. Aaaagh! Well, I guess I'll put here "mostly true", imagining I'm in a situation where I'm supposed to attend a concert after concert, and then would think "hmm, now I really should be by myself for a while." But isn't that what anybody would answer?

I remember doing a similar test on another site, and did get similar results: high scores on both intuition and feeling types. But the order was different, there I was higher on Ni. So it seems that to me these kind of tests aren't very helpful to me because they continue to create the familiar "Am I an INFJ or INFP" problem even though separating the functions should help with that. And it does help, only not in the tests (meeting several INFPs also made it easier to see the difference). Other questions were incomprehensible because they dealt with situations I never get into. There were questions along the lines of "I always try to take into account other people's feelings, considering what is the best option for everyone involved." I supposed if I wanted to get a higher Fe score, I should say this is the most important thing for me. But those questions are worded in such a way that they make me feel uncomfortable, like I should praise myself for being unselfish. Besides, I rarely talk with people nowadays, the last time I had a long conversation in real life was in January. And that was one-on-one. When was the last time I was in a situation in which I had to make choices based on the interests of several people? It's been at least a year if not longer. So the question is hypothetical, and while I could flatter myself and say that "Yes! This is very important to me!" I'm not going to lie and say that it actually is, because my kindliness is rarely put to test. I am not going to assume that in a hypothetical situation I'm going to act in the noblest way possible, because I know that people may often react in ways they can't themselves predict if facing something unfamiliar. Sure, if you have to be with people every day, then such a question makes sense, but I have the luxury and the misfortune not to live like that.

"I'm a listener. / I'm a talker." Well, that depends on how many people are present. In a group of 5 it's not uncommon for me to be the most talkative person, but in a group of 10 I might say nothing but will be observing very closely.

"Every now and then, I need downtime to recharge."

Any person answering no to this is going to crash sooner rather than later. Another meaningless question.

"I like to try new things."

What are "things"? Does it mean new sex toys or new flavours of ice cream? And how often are we talking about? Yes, I do like to try new things, it's wonderful. But I don't do it very often. I do it when I feel comfortable about it, so then of course I'm going to like it. Should I compare myself to some imaginary average Joe? But I'm not Joe, I don't know what he thinks. What if I had to try new things every day? That would probably be distressing. But there's that "what if I had to", meaning it's hypothetical, and someone would force me to do it. I can imagine trying something slightly different every day, but does it count if I merely choose different routes to the library? I improvise on the piano every day, so in that sense I'm constantly trying new things. But that's not comparable to being a thrillseeker. Aaagh! Why do you make me suffer through these questions that have no answers?? Please don't make me choose one option when clearly all of them are applicable and my preference depends not on the question itself, but on the circumstances and the assumptions which are left for the test taker to make. It is not fair that I have to make assumptions about what are considered "new things" by the general population.

TL;DR Tests are stupid.

How can I possibly answer that? After the rain comes the sun. How can I consider what I need, when it's a given that after I've been with a large group of people, I am no longer with them, that is, I am either by myself or with someone really close to me with whom I can relax. I cannot know if there's an absolute need to be by myself if it's a given that after being to a concert I no longer will be in a crowd anyway. Or does it mean that I will be so tired that I won't want to go to a pub afterwards?

Yes this exactly is what led me to look into astrology originally as something "more precise" was needed even though I still felt the MBTI is valid/solid as far as it goes.

I don't know anyone (other on this forum) who is familiar with MBTI so I've never have anyone suggest what they think my type may be. I have to do it all by myself .... :sorrowful:

I don't really trust the questionnaire methods for typing people who are familiar with the concepts. For a start, when I have a go with one I've always got a little voice in my head saying "please not Slytherin, please not Slytherin .....". A lot of the questions are pretty obvious links to the functions as well, so how can it be objective, even if you try your hardest not to bend it to get the answer you want?

Having said that, I did have a go at the Typology Central personality test - 3 times in all since late last night to see how stable are the results. Very interesting, and I'm quite impressed. I deliberately didn't make a note of my answers between each run to make sure I didn't just replay, and I definitely wasn't consistent in my answers throughout each of the three runs. To keep the results compact, I've summarised them in a table, rather than using the site's own charts:

2018 05 18 Typology Central MBTI test.jpg

I did wonder if the initial type you give the tool at the beginning might be skewing it, so I put INTP into the start of the third run, with low certainty (I typed as INTP/J the first time I took a questionnaire 20 odd years ago). Despite some variations in the stack, my assessed best fit type is consistent as INFJ, which fits with my own judgement using the published literature and from my recent contacts with all of you kind folks out there.

It's interesting that my Fe and Ne are stronger than my Ni on this scoring. Se is inferior by a large margin though. I joined the forum quite deliberately to explore my Fe and I've done more extraverting this last 3 weeks than I'd normally do in a year: maybe that is colouring the way I answered the questions.

I do wonder how well a questionnaire can really get at intuition. I often experience it myself as a kind of perception analogous to vision as much as something expressed linguistically in my mind, and I wonder if this experience can really be searched out and picked up effectively this way. I don't find it easy to map onto the options provided. It's a bit like asking me if a road sign I've just seen tastes a bit furry - I do have to ponder that sort of thing quite carefully before answering it.

ENTP was the first result I ever got, in regards to MBTI. We were required to take the test in a psych class at my university, my first semester there. But my E/I was a clean split, 50/50... and I was only 18, and...

Sounds like you're describing me, lol. My first typing was ENTP and I was finishing school so I must have been 17 :)

I remember being like: "Wow, such extrovert, very Da Vinci, so intellect"

for some reason I can't see your results. There's just "IMG" displayed. I'd like to see them :)

Really? Huh, that's odd. I can see them perfectly mine on my page. I'll post them again, let me know if it can be seen this time.

30980-1887b1129b19474fa82044b74496ce0e.jpg

In case they don't show up, here are my results:

Ni: +9
Fe:+5
Ne:+2
Ti: 0
Te: -2
Fi: -4
Si: -5
Se:-5

:m155:

Last edited:
@Fidicen For an ENFP you've got terrible Te. You need to develop your tertiary function!

For some reason the test still said I'm an introvert despite the Ne dominant. I wonder what is the function that is making my results so skewed. I mean it's clearly caused by my reluctance to see the choices in binary terms. But is it just my Ni going haywire because I try to avoid thinking about the results I should get, and thus instead of seeing the questions coherent I end up interpreting them in ways that are not intended by the makers? I think there was a clear pattern in my long message that is related to the use of functions, but I'm unable to judge it myself.