How do people (mis)type you? | Page 12 | INFJ Forum

How do people (mis)type you?

Is it just me or are all the words rather frustrating.
Try different languages. Nothing corresponds fully, there is always another word for the same thing from a different perspective.

However, there is also no limit to language, you can always invent new words to describe a new perspective. But I guess that is just the linguist in me that admires the versitality of all languages as a whole.

Sorry, I see your point, but somehow the other perspective forced itself on me. The text used to be slightly different.
Try different languages. Nothing corresponds fully, there is always another word for the same thing from a different perspective. And there is also no limit to language, you can always invent new words to describe a new perspective. But I guess that is just the linguist in me that admires the versitality of all languages as a whole.
Does it read differently that way? :thinking::puzzled:

Agree. Digression, slight one this time - at least in personal situations we get to exchange 'code books' and link the words with something meaningful where they become part of the overall communication. But having to string them together 'normal style' is very cumbersome. Btw the most common response I get when trying to describe an Ni-derived anything is "NONSENSE!"

Edit: Ginny's post - yup, figuring out what the word corresponds to internally is the fun part. But figuring out what word to use not so much. Hmm don't think I'm making sense today :grinning:

Agree. Digression, slight one this time - at least in personal situations we get to exchange 'code books' and link the words with something meaningful where they become part of the overall communication. But having to string them together 'normal style' is very cumbersome. Btw the most common response I get when trying to describe an Ni-derived anything is "NONSENSE!"

Or a subtle expression of perplexity ^^

Last week I was chatting to my manager and she spoke of a certain event as being a “strange coincidence.” Then she asked: “By the way, have you thought of coincidences? What’s your take on them?” (She’s well familiar with my personality and strange pastimes by now!)

And I said “Well, maybe it would be possible to see each individual life as a kind of microcosm of events, and these events would be actualisations of factual propositions that always exist in potential, and together these events would develop a certain pattern, like an organism; and maybe this pattern could sometimes collide with another pattern of events, that is another individual life, and produce what we call the coincidence of running into someone we know. Because if it’s someone we know, it means their pattern of events will have a kinship with ours in a sense, which may make the collision more likely.”

She was like “Hmmm.... food for thought!” :smile:

I love language, and learning new ways to say something. Finding just the right word can be quite satisfying.

There are times, though, when words are not enough or even distract from the real meaning of what is being conveyed.

Yes, all of that ....

Language is vital, or I couldn't post anything here, and nor could anyone else! And language is a truly wonderful thing.

The frustration is that it never really fits properly when I'm trying to describe some kinds of insight. There is a sense of approximations that approach the truth without ever reaching it, but get more and more long winded the closer I get; there's a sense of sketching a verbal picture on paper of something static in 2 dimensions of something that is 3 dimensional and extended in time. And the words I use don't mean the same to everyone, even if they have the same native language. Not everyone appreciates verbal imagery and metaphor for example, which I tend to use quite a bit.

As an example, picking up on the earlier discussions about art. I wandered round a couple of art galleries in Manchester (UK) a few months ago looking at quite a lot of the most famous paintings by Lowry, a famous northern English artist. It struck me that he must have suffered from a most awful quiet despair for most of his life. Not something you find in books about him - a lot of his pictures end up on chocolate box tins and nostalgia cards. I'm happy I don't have to explain this to anyone, because it would be a nightmare if I had to try and say why in words. But there it is - a conviction I can't really justify or explain easily with language.

Or a subtle expression of perplexity ^^

Last week I was chatting to my manager and she spoke of a certain event as being a “strange coincidence.” Then she asked: “By the way, have you thought of coincidences? What’s your take on them?” (She’s well familiar with my personality and strange pastimes by now!)

And I said “Well, maybe it would be possible to see each individual life as a kind of microcosm of events, and these events would be actualisations of factual propositions that always exist in potential, and together these events would develop a certain pattern, like an organism; and maybe this pattern could sometimes collide with another pattern of events, that is another individual life, and produce what we call the coincidence of running into someone we know. Because if it’s someone we know, it means their pattern of events will have a kinship with ours in a sense, which may make the collision more likely.”

She was like “Hmmm.... food for thought!” :smile:

You just described the basic workings of astrology btw.

But then failing to find that word can lead to dissatisfaction..

@John K, so you are maybe referring to sentiment inherent in the situation - which is for sure an F phenomenon if not N. Though I'm hitting a wall right about here.

Oh I think my last few posts are probably a great example of the difficulty I'm having expressing what I really mean! As @Reverist said, finding the right word can be very satisfying, but it can be very frustrating if you can't, or just don't have the time to find the right form of expression: I found writing papers or reports at work was like that, some came out great, and I was as happy with the form as the content, but it wasn't always like that.

Interesting you pick up on the F component. @Ginny may be able to give a more definitive idea of what was going on than I can - the insight into Lowry's despair was a perception that hit me suddenly out of the blue (or subconscious!); but I immediately felt a great pity for him the moment it did hit me, though I was conflicted because I realised that he probably wouldn't have been the great artist he was without this driving him.

I would definitely be interested in @Ginny's perspective - and yes on paper writing, I like to write technical ones "out of spite" because they can just be flat and correct and complete/finished that way. Whereas with the others things become more ambiguous. Maybe the deal with N (and F) is that we get the gift of their "fluidity" at the cost of not being able to "quantize" them or nail them down in any concrete way.

Maybe the deal with N (and F) is that we get the gift of their "fluidity" at the cost of not being able to "quantize" them or nail them down in any concrete way.

I think this is sort of true for all types and all functions. All people basically.

That aside, I am really loving this infj centric discussion going on in here. I can feel the infj vibes. Feels good man.

Interesting you pick up on the F component. @Ginny may be able to give a more definitive idea of what was going on than I can - the insight into Lowry's despair was a perception that hit me suddenly out of the blue (or subconscious!); but I immediately felt a great pity for him the moment it did hit me, though I was conflicted because I realised that he probably wouldn't have been the great artist he was without this driving him.
I think you mean this, as to how that happened, functionwise? (Otherwise, please correct me if I'm wrong.)
The frustration is that it never really fits properly when I'm trying to describe some kinds of insight. There is a sense of approximations that approach the truth without ever reaching it, but get more and more long winded the closer I get; there's a sense of sketching a verbal picture on paper of something static in 2 dimensions of something that is 3 dimensional and extended in time. And the words I use don't mean the same to everyone, even if they have the same native language. Not everyone appreciates verbal imagery and metaphor for example, which I tend to use quite a bit.

As an example, picking up on the earlier discussions about art. I wandered round a couple of art galleries in Manchester (UK) a few months ago looking at quite a lot of the most famous paintings by Lowry, a famous northern English artist. It struck me that he must have suffered from a most awful quiet despair for most of his life. Not something you find in books about him - a lot of his pictures end up on chocolate box tins and nostalgia cards. I'm happy I don't have to explain this to anyone, because it would be a nightmare if I had to try and say why in words. But there it is - a conviction I can't really justify or explain easily with language.
I guess the things we feel when we perceive something is hard to translate into language. I suppose you know something about Lowry, besides his artwork? There may be something in your personal information inventory, which in combination with what you saw in his pieces produced a vibe that made you feel something about him that might be otherwise unknown. I guess this makes it a combination of intuition and feeling, because what you got from his work added to a picture that had already formed in your mind. It continued to form subconsciously with every detail you saw, until the final piece slipped into place, producing your sudden insight which emerged into your consciousness.
Especially seeing one painting at a time, you slowly get a feeling about the artist. I can imagine that it would be more difficult to express something you saw and/or felt verbally, as you were perceiving something non-verbal in nature. It differs greatly from perceiving something about the author of a book or a piece of poetry, which is verbal in nature.

Reactions: John K and jkxx
That aside, I am really loving this infj centric discussion going on in here. I can feel the infj vibes. Feels good man.

I was thinking that on the bus back home, lol. I was like: "The thread was originally about the experience of being mistyped, but it's really organically become a pretty cool thread about how INFJs feel about their function use and INFJness in general." Which is awesome.

You just described the basic workings of astrology btw.

What are you trying to say, young man :p

No but seriously, it's pretty fascinating that you saw a pattern connection between my insight and astrology. I'd love it if you described how.

@Ren,

Oh I promise I will do just that once I get home...and get my gigabit connection working and my telecom gateway fixed (only listing because otherwise would have started on this right away :)

@Ginny,

great point. I did not think about how it might just not be a verbal thing at all and that maybe trying to cast it into verbal [rational? intellectual? concrete?] terms is part of the problem here.

Unrelated @Ginny but what explains your decision to not specify your Enneagram wing? I'm curious.

@jkxx That's cool, I'd love to have a discussion about the workings of astrology, which is a subject (the workings, that is) that has always fascinated me.

The fact that I don't know which one it is. I seem to have a propensity for both.

Moi je pense que c'est l'aile numéro deux... Mais ce n'est que mon opinion. ;)

Okay cool, well we're in a similar situation then. Though I'm close to finally opting for 4w5.

Isn't it obvious? Jkxx finally admitted that astrology is nothing but coincidence. :smirk:
*flees*

:tearsofjoy:

My problem with astrology could be boiled down to this: it's not that there's too much coincidence, it's that there not enough.

Isn't it obvious? Jkxx finally admitted that astrology is nothing but coincidence. :smirk:
*flees*

You all need to wash your mouths out.

"Coincidence" indeed - and on a site dedicated to Jungian psychology too!!!
Meaningful Synchronicity pleeeease !! :pillowfight:

images9MCNAV0C.jpg