How do people (mis)type you? | Page 9 | INFJ Forum

How do people (mis)type you?

Just for example, I think antirealist pragmatism can help one repress doubt in a way that more realist accounts will not -- this is for the familiar reason that if you more or less don't think of a you-independent reality, there's a lot less room for doubt that you simply never get at reality directly and so on, and thus might be totally mistaken.

This shows how someone not prone psychologically to doubt/skepticism of themselves might take refuge in a philosophy for psychological reasons.

Already you see versions of this tension in Kant vs Hume, where Kant introduced a mind-dependent component to our investigations to address Hume's skepticism in part I think.

Just for example, I think antirealist pragmatism can help one repress doubt in a way that more realist accounts will not -- this is for the familiar reason that if you more or less don't think of a you-independent reality, there's a lot less room for doubt that you simply never get at reality directly and so on, and thus might be totally mistaken.

This shows how someone not prone psychologically to doubt/skepticism of themselves might take refuge in a philosophy for psychological reasons.

Yeah, this makes sense. Perhaps it might be possible to reason negatively, though. As in: "This philosophy relies on a very heavy use of Ti, therefore the philosopher behind it cannot not be a Ti user", kind of thing. I'm thinking of a lot of philosophy of logic.

I just noticed, why do I have more Ti than you, @Ren? Is it because of your Ni supercharge? :blush:

Haha! Well, I think it may have to do in part with how the questions were asked. I hardly identified with Ti as my "most" function but didn't identify with it as my "least" either. It probably would be a little higher with a different grading system, though I do think that on an everyday basis I use it less than Ni and Fe.

I think that often people think I'm using Ti when I'm really using Ni, or a combination of Ni and Ti. Like if I detect a logical inconsistency, for example. And yet I know that my own writings are full of logical inconsistencies. I am bored with the idea of being totally consistent - but much more interested in finding new patterns and interpretations, etc. I don't think I've ever achieved anything like a systematic piece of work, really.

Ren said:
Yeah, this makes sense. Perhaps it might be possible to reason negatively, though. As in: "This philosophy relies on a very heavy use of Ti, therefore the philosopher behind it cannot not be a Ti user", kind of thing. I'm thinking of a lot of philosophy of logic.

Sure, there are definitely some cases where you have a walks-like-a-duck-quacks-... situation!

Hey @charlatan, dear function master. We've been having pretty extensive discussions in the philosophy section lately. Would you have any insight on what seems like my function use? I'd be interested. :)

I think that often people think I'm using Ti when I'm really using Ni, or a combination of Ni and Ti. Like if I detect a logical inconsistency, for example. And yet I know that my own writings are full of logical inconsistencies. I am bored with the idea of being totally consistent - but much more interested in finding new patterns and interpretations, etc. I don't think I've ever achieved anything like a systematic piece of work, really.

Nice! That is true of myself as well... sometimes will change it up just because consistency bores me eventually.

@Ginny, where did you get this function result? It is not a test I have tried taking yet although @Ren pointed me to several good ones on function use.

Nice! That is true of myself as well... sometimes will change it up just because consistency bores me eventually.

@Ginny, where did you get this function result? It is not a test I have tried taking yet although @Ren pointed me to several good ones on function use.
Go to page 8. ;)

Last edited:
Well, after doing this test (thanks @Happy Phantom) it seems clear that in terms of subtypes, I am an N-subtype :p

renresults.png

PS. For those interested, the test is at this link: http://jung.test.typologycentral.com/ - Share your results so we can continue the discussion :)

Screenshot_20180517-195113.png

o__O

Well, this is embarrassing! Considering the results, I'm not even sure how I'm even breathing XD

30954-1887b1129b19474fa82044b74496ce0e.jpg

Thank you, @Ren for the link. That was a fun test :)

Reactions: Ren and jkxx
:tearsofjoy:

Man that joke just never gets old

Reminds me of a pretty funny moment I had at work a couple weeks back. I had my name finally added on my office door, like five months after I joined the team. My two other colleagues, who share the office with me, teased me about it. But I immediately noticed that my name had been added in a different font and larger size. So I said to them “Well in case you haven’t noticed I’ve got the biggest one”.

:fearscream: :tearsofjoy:

@Ren lol smooth! Well played :lol:

What's up with (almost) everyone getting Fe-Ni-Ne as the first 3 functions?

@jkxx the first thought I had when I read your stack was: "This looks like the stack of a very emotionally intelligent person". :)

Regarding Fe-Ni-Ne: I was going to say "maybe this suggests INFJ F-subtype", but with Ni and Ne so high in the stack, it complicates things a little.

Intuitively I'm wondering if it might not be difficult for the creators of these cognitive functions tests to 'phrase Ni' and 'phrase Ne' in a truly distinct way. I mean, it's already hard to grasp the difference and then to explain it to others. So to capture an essential difference in just a few words is probably quite challenging... I wouldn't be surprised if as a result, the phrasings sounded kind of similar, leading to many of us scoring too high on Ne.

Last edited:
@jkxx the first thought I had when I read your stack was: "This looks like the stack of a very emotionally intelligent person". :)

Regarding Fe-Ni-Ne: I was going to say "maybe this suggests INFJ F-subtype", but with Ni and Ne so high in the stack, it complicates things a little.

Intuitively I'm wondering if it might not be difficult for the creators of these cognitive functions tests to 'phrase Ni' and 'phrase Ne' in a truly distinct way. I mean, it's already hard to grasp the difference and then to explain it to others. So to capture an essential difference in just a few words is probably quite challenging... I wouldn't be surprised if as a result, the phrasings sounded kind of similar, leading to many of us scoring too high on Ne.
So let's say I understood Ni wrong the whole time *lol*. If I didn't have such high Fe, I'd probably pass for ENTP. :tonguewink: