high fashion models are too thin | Page 6 | INFJ Forum

high fashion models are too thin

There's a difference between thin and emaciated, Billy - and that's the problem. A lot of models are also choosing unhealthy ways to continue looking like models, while fighting their own body in the process. There's nothing healthy about getting hooked on heroin to look skinnier than Twiggy. And did you actually see those first few pictures? Dang, man...those girls were starving to death. Literally.

When we see animals looking like that we call the ASPCA for animal abuse. But they do look like emaciated concentration camp victims.

Can you really tell the difference, when the models look like this--?

Arby I would like to know where that picture came from it doesnt even look real tbh... not calling you a liar at all, I assume you just google imaged skinny model or something.

I have never seen a person that skinny on tv or in life, thats concentration camp skinny... I doubt that woman woudl be able to walk down a runway let alone have enough muscle mass to lift the gigantic shoes she would probably be wearing or the endurance to stand the lights.

I do understand the subtext people are getting at, I understand the powerful vulcan mind meld that media has on young females especially regarding body image... I am on board with that.

but a lot of this also stems from some petty jealousies and I have seen this argument turn into a hate fest for bashing girls who spend too much time in the gym too by girls who were less athletically inclined.

Well, it's a relief that they do look better than those other pics! Thank God for that. I still wouldn't call them 100% healthy, but at least they don't look like Lara Flynn Boyle in the mid-90s.

This one isn't photoshopped (link here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/22/extremely-thin-models-cau_n_432815.html ) but I still think it's cause for concern when you can see every ridge in someone's spine. Maybe that's just me, though.

A thought that just occurred to me, although it probably doesn't make a difference, morally. It may be that at least some of the emaciated models have anorexia nervosa to begin with, and would be anorexic even if they weren't models. That is, maybe they weren't "made" that way by the fashion industry per se but were that way to begin with (or had tendencies to be anorexic). Thus, the fashion industry is taking advantage of already ill people. The illness is being rewarded by the industry. Morally, this may be as bad as causing people to be anorexic because, either way, the anorexia persists.

I'm tired of seeing those photoshopped pictures. Snopes exposed them as such a long time ago, and yet they show up on forums regularly.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/people/models.asp

HAH! I thought those looked photoshopped.

Still... my brother's a photgrapher (family and portraiture) and I have a good friend who is a fashion photographer in NYC, and I've art directed photoshoots. One thing I wish people would understand is that the images in magazines are PHONY, what with the lighting and makeup and posing and all -- they do not represent real life. At all.

Look at this youtube video which I will embed properly as soon as I remember how: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knEIM16NuPg"]YouTube- The Evolution Of Beauty[/ame]

Anyway, people come in all shapes and sizes, including ectomorphs who are naturally thin but healthy, and that is okay. In fact, it's great. Really, it is! Where I come from a substantial booty is considered a good thing.

Still... my brother's a photgrapher (family and portraiture) and I have a good friend who is a fashion photographer in NYC, and I've art directed photoshoots. One thing I wish people would understand is that the images in magazines are PHONY, what with the lighting and makeup and posing and all -- they do not represent real life. At all.

Look at this youtube video which I will embed properly as soon as I remember how: YouTube- The Evolution Of Beauty

Anyway, people come in all shapes and sizes, including ectomorphs who are naturally thin but healthy, and that is okay. In fact, it's great. Really, it is! Where I come from a substantial booty is considered a good thing.

I think the fashion industry is to be praised for supplying that ugly girl with a modeling job.

I think the fashion industry is to be praised for supplying that ugly girl with a modeling job.
I think she only looks ugly when compared to the finished product. If you saw her walking down the street amongst normal people, you'd probably find her quite attractive.

This may not be true anymore, and I hope it isn't, but back when I was working my way through college, my boss had a girlfriend who also worked as a fashion model.

I went to lunch with her one day at McDonald's. She ordered just a burger, and took off the bun, eating only the meat. I thought that a strange way to stay thin, and asked her about it. She told me she had severe hypoglcemia, and if she ate any carbs, she would pass out. She said her doctor told her should could not expect to live past age 30. I was using my INFJ B.S. detector, and this was not B.S. It taught me a lesson that day, ie. never to assume anything or be jealous, because you don't know what others are going though. Up until then I'd been envious of her thinness. Though I was normal weight and had a tiny waist, I had to work at it, and normally avoided McDonalds like the plague.

She also proceeded to tell me that she was the only model she knew who did not have to take drugs to stay thin enough to work. I asked what the preferred drugs were, and she said cocaine and heroin, esp. heroin. I guess I was pretty naive at that age, because I was quite shocked.
My BS detector regarding this model woman is going off. Severe hypoglycemia? Like, diabetes? You don't die from that in your thirties.. and back when you mentioned this happening... there was medication so that even then, she would have been able to eat carbs within reason and stay healthy...

I have an anorexic friend. Been friends with her for going on 6 years. She always said she was just thin. Hell, I've gone out to restaurants and eaten with her. I trusted her when she said she didn't have an eating disorder (because other people accused her, I never did.)
It wasn't until last summer that she came out and told me she had an eating disorder and would go days and days without food.

From a skinny girl

I don't think anyone should starve themselves for beauty but I do know some people are naturally thin. I wish i could gain weight because I get a lot of jokes about being skinny especially in the south where big is beautiful. I can't help it. I hate being so little.

Don't hate it. Embrace it and love it! It's who you are and you are gorgeous! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise! I'm in the same boat,and probably will be for the rest of my life. I'm 5'4" and I currently weigh 90 pounds. I have never weighed more than 100. People automatically assume that I have an eating disorder because of the fact that I am thin. I constantly hear "You need to eat more" or "We need to fatten you up". These statements have become rather offensive. I shrug them off with giggles and smirks, but in all honesty they aren't funny. I eat and I take care of myself. I don't watch my weight and I don't worry about gaining weight. I know if just won't happen. Skinny is what I am and it's completely natural. What exactly is wrong with that? I am not unhealthy and I am not starving myself so whats the issue? People don't want bigger women to be self conscious yet they are all about giving thinner women complexes? Seems a little off to me.

Have you ever wondered if any of these fashion models are like me? They just happen to be skinny because that's the way they are? I am not denying that some women have eating disorders but don't assume they all do. It's absurd. These women are just as beautiful as those with fuller figures.

To show examples, here are some of todays "Top Models".

Caroline Trentini
caroline-trentini.jpg

Lily Cole
mischkafw07_07.jpg

Jessica Stam
jessicas.png

(are these women emaciated? I don't see it...)

And here are what some bloggers refer to as "real women".

Christina Hendricks
021710_skinny_95833720.jpg

Kim Kardashian
021710_skinny_96599889.jpg

America Ferrera
america-ferrera.jpg

Just to name a few...

I don't see how either group is less attractive or more attractive than the other. They are two different types of beauty. Simple as that.

I suppose what I am saying is, If you want to fight eating disorders be my guest. There are millions of people that suffer from them and they need help. However, don't give skinny girls complexes while you are at it. I know you want bigger girls to feel comfortable in their own skin, and that's great. But, there are plenty of women who are just simply built to be thin and broadcasting that "bigger is beautiful" and "real women have curves" may help some women feel better about themselves, but hurt others. I'm not a real woman because I am skinny? Yeah, no! Real women come in all shapes and sizes, remember that.

Fight the disease not the women!

Excellent post Devildoll, they are indeed beautiful, have you heard of set point theory? The idea that we all have a genetic set point around which we only have very modest conscious control?

I think the main barriers people have in embracing your suggestions are that a lot of people believe in a "just world" where good deeds are always rewarded and bad deeds are always punished (by god/the universe/karma etc.) and that hard work is always rewarded. So in their head if someone is thin or fat then they must have done something bad/wrong to be that way, if someone is a "normal/average/healthy" then they must have done something good/right to be that way.

Also people tend to think in simplistic terms like that a moderate lifestyle will always result in a moderate body size, and that any other body size must require extreme lifestyles. This is simply not true and completely ignores the natural genetic variation there is (and always has been) amongst human populations. We weren't all meant to be the same size, variation in body size is a very good thing for our species' long term survival.

Reactions: VH
CRON = Caloric Restriction with Optimum Nutrition.

For more than fifty years, scientists have been studying the life extension effects of restricting the caloric intake of different animal species to 70-80% of the calories a particular animal would eat ad libitum with all the calories provided by an extremely healthy diet. Thousands of peer-reviewed papers have been published. In every species studied, including primates, this has a life extension effect that is sometimes 50% greater than the maximum life span for a particular species. The goal is to provide the healthiest nutrition available (i.e., to the extent known) in as few calories as possible down to as much as 30% less than would normally be eaten. A very few people live this extreme lifestyle and exhibit biological endpoint measurements that indicate exceptionally good health and longevity. For example, when gene chips are used to study people under the CRON regime, multiple genes light up consistent with conserving energy, eliminating high energy oxidative radicals, increasing DNA repair enzymes, etc. There are many theories as to why CRON works and there may be multiple mechanisms. For example, this may be the organism's way of going into a biological conservation mode.

The traditional Okinawan diet (largely vegetarian, some meat and fish), consistent with the Okinawan phliosophy of eating only enough to feel 80% "full" seems to be one cultural example in which CRON has occurred. Okinawan culture also traditionally included other longevity-associated behaviors such as life long exercise and a large, supportive web of social connections between individuals. Until the encroachment of Western foods and culture, Okinawa had the highest percentage of centenarians of any society.

So, if a person is "skinny" because of smoking and eating little, but poorly, he or she is likely unhealthy. If a thin person is following a CRON diet, he or she is likely to be extremely healthy. For the record, I don't follow this diet. It's too hard.

Anyway, I write this to show that it is possible to be "skinny" and extremely healthy.

and a large, supportive web of social connections between individuals.

I think that is a hugely underrated factor in health.

Have you heard of the Rosetans?

What made Rosetans die less from heart disease than identical towns elsewhere? Family ties. Another observation: they had traditional and cohesive family and community relationships. It turns out that Roseto was peopled by strongly knit Italian American families who did everything right and lived right and consequently lived longer.
In short, Rosetans were nourished by people.
In all ways, this happy result was exactly the opposite expectation of well-proven health laws. The Rosetans broke the following long-life rules, and did so with a noticeable relish: and they lived to tell the tale.

I'm unconvinced about the long term effects of CRON, how well do these animals/people handle influenza etc.?

I think that is a hugely underrated factor in health.

Have you heard of the Rosetans?

I'm unconvinced about the long term effects of CRON, how well do these animals/people handle influenza etc.?

I hadn't heard of the Rosetans. Thanks for the link.

Up until I was last reading about CRON, the data on its immunological effects were unclear.

However, the long term effects of moderate CRON, if it can be called moderate, are better health and longevity. Use PubMed to find articles relating caloric restriction to longevity. There're a lot.

Look at this youtube video which I will embed properly as soon as I remember how: YouTube- The Evolution Of Beauty

Don't hate it. Embrace it and love it! It's who you are and you are gorgeous! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise! I'm in the same boat,and probably will be for the rest of my life. I'm 5'4" and I currently weigh 90 pounds. I have never weighed more than 100. People automatically assume that I have an eating disorder because of the fact that I am thin. I constantly hear "You need to eat more" or "We need to fatten you up". These statements have become rather offensive. I shrug them off with giggles and smirks, but in all honesty they aren't funny. I eat and I take care of myself. I don't watch my weight and I don't worry about gaining weight. I know if just won't happen. Skinny is what I am and it's completely natural. What exactly is wrong with that? I am not unhealthy and I am not starving myself so whats the issue? People don't want bigger women to be self conscious yet they are all about giving thinner women complexes? Seems a little off to me.

Have you ever wondered if any of these fashion models are like me? They just happen to be skinny because that's the way they are? I am not denying that some women have eating disorders but don't assume they all do. It's absurd. These women are just as beautiful as those with fuller figures.

To show examples, here are some of todays "Top Models".

Caroline Trentini
caroline-trentini.jpg

Lily Cole
mischkafw07_07.jpg

Jessica Stam
jessicas.png

(are these women emaciated? I don't see it...)

And here are what some bloggers refer to as "real women".

Christina Hendricks
021710_skinny_95833720.jpg

Kim Kardashian
021710_skinny_96599889.jpg

America Ferrera
america-ferrera.jpg

Just to name a few...

I don't see how either group is less attractive or more attractive than the other. They are two different types of beauty. Simple as that.

I suppose what I am saying is, If you want to fight eating disorders be my guest. There are millions of people that suffer from them and they need help. However, don't give skinny girls complexes while you are at it. I know you want bigger girls to feel comfortable in their own skin, and that's great. But, there are plenty of women who are just simply built to be thin and broadcasting that "bigger is beautiful" and "real women have curves" may help some women feel better about themselves, but hurt others. I'm not a real woman because I am skinny? Yeah, no! Real women come in all shapes and sizes, remember that.

Fight the disease not the women!

Excellent post Devildoll, they are indeed beautiful, have you heard of set point theory? The idea that we all have a genetic set point around which we only have very modest conscious control?

I think the main barriers people have in embracing your suggestions are that a lot of people believe in a "just world" where good deeds are always rewarded and bad deeds are always punished (by god/the universe/karma etc.) and that hard work is always rewarded. So in their head if someone is thin or fat then they must have done something bad/wrong to be that way, if someone is a "normal/average/healthy" then they must have done something good/right to be that way.

Also people tend to think in simplistic terms like that a moderate lifestyle will always result in a moderate body size, and that any other body size must require extreme lifestyles. This is simply not true and completely ignores the natural genetic variation there is (and always has been) amongst human populations. We weren't all meant to be the same size, variation in body size is a very good thing for our species' long term survival.

You all so eloquently stated the points I was trying to make earlier in this thread. Excellent posts, and I'm very glad you stood up and posted them.

I prefer thin women. Rather than too thin, most of us are too heavy. The bigger problem is the obesity epidemic.

Last edited: