[PAX] - Gun control | Page 7 | INFJ Forum

[PAX] Gun control

Google WTC 7

Saturday night, 3am. Big ex con celebrating his release leaves the bar and decides hes gonna go fuck up that guy his girlfriend has been messin with while he was away. Except hes drunk and comes in your house instead. Your bedroom door opens and this dude has a baseball bat and starts swingin.

An hour later, as you ride in the back of an ambulance, you're told that your wife didnt make it. Now your kids grow up without a mom, and a dad over come with grief, who couldnt save them because his gun was in a lock box.

Or he sits there for 40 years contemplating the night that he killed someone.

To sit in safety and say you'd protect your family is one thing, having the weight of another persons life on your conscious is quite another. Neither is a simple task (protecting with a gun vs not protecting with a gun)

Of course if it were me and some dude started swinging a baseball bat, I'd start swinging mine back. A man vs a man with a bb bat, and a dead wife? I highly doubt the husband would have pulled the trigger had he had the gun in his hands. I know personally I'd rather get beat down with a bat then watch my wife get killed.

Also, I don't understand what the scenario has to do with gun control. The husband had a gun, but kept it locked up. Are you saying people shouldn't lock their guns?

So you shouldn't introduce guns into an area which has none but you should definitely keep guns in an area that has them for reasons other than it has them and it's too difficult to go back?

Odd... but I can see how that works.

Xander said:
So you shouldn't introduce guns into an area which has none but you should definitely keep guns in an area that has them for reasons other than it has them and it's too difficult to go back?

Odd... but I can see how that works.

Worth bearing in mind too that guns have always played a very different role in the national psyches of the US and the UK.

A big part of the national US identity is heavily biased in favour of the European settlers that turned up in the 16th century and onwards, which has given rise to the national icon of the "Pioneer" and obviously the gun plays a very big part in that concept. In fact a lot of people will probably argue that "America" as we know it was actually founded on the gun.

The UK on the other hand has a cultural identity stretching back to at least the Iron Age and maybe even further, during which the gun has never played that same "Pioneer" role that it did across the pond. So on a national level we just don't think about guns in the same way that the Americans do.

It's interesting to think how the US's national identity and therefore their relationship with guns might be affected if a greater emphasis was given to the Native American's "pre-European settlers" role in the history of their nation.

Worth bearing in mind too that guns have always played a very different role in the national psyches of the US and the UK.

A big part of the national US identity is heavily biased in favour of the European settlers that turned up in the 16th century and onwards, which has given rise to the national icon of the "Pioneer" and obviously the gun plays a very big part in that concept. In fact a lot of people will probably argue that "America" as we know it was actually founded on the gun.

The UK on the other hand has a cultural identity stretching back to at least the Iron Age and maybe even further, during which the gun has never played that same "Pioneer" role that it did across the pond. So on a national level we just don't think about guns in the same way that the Americans do.

It's interesting to think how the US's national identity and therefore their relationship with guns might be affected if a greater emphasis was given to the Native American's "pre-European settlers" role in the history of their nation.
Excellent point.