[PAX] - Gun control | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

[PAX] Gun control

i think you should be allowed any gun you want, you want a chaingun for hunting ducks, go for it, how about a howitzer for home defence.. sure why not.

but instead of making the bullets out of well, bullets, make then out of jam.

You still get red splat effect when shooting people(keep the gangsters happy), and as an added bonus, if your ever hungry just shoot yourself in the mouth, mmmmm warm jam.

Actually I have fewer guns than most people I know. I compete in silhouettes, range shooting and clays, SO I have what I need.

So many houses out here are not made to be so secure. They can be 200 years old and protected by the historical rules. And the cost to make them so would be prohibitive. You should not have to live in a fortress. Even having a security system would make me feel like I was living in the city or something. This is why I live in the country :becky:damn it!

i think you should be allowed any gun you want, you want a chaingun for hunting ducks, go for it, how about a howitzer for home defence.. sure why not.

You still get red splat effect when shooting people(keep the gangsters happy), and as an added bonus, if your ever hungry just shoot yourself in the mouth, mmmmm warm jam.

ROFL!

Oh, It's on! LOL

Honestly though, criminals aside, could you not use just one gun for the lot? I mean I know birds kinda require shotguns unless you're into gun fu and zen shooting but for hunting and stuff you only need an accurate light rifle no? Something like a 5.56?

I mean what kind of animal requires a .50 match bullet? Those things are used to shoot enignes out!

Nah. Your solution is faulty.

Imagine what would happen when all the seeds inevitably end up in machinery... there'd be chaos!

I can see it now "The Euston to Birmingham train has been delayed due to jam on the lines".

Nah... it'd have to bee seedless and then you wouldn't get more fruit from it which diminishes the whole profit-cost ratio.

Honestly though, criminals aside, could you not use just one gun for the lot? I mean I know birds kinda require shotguns unless you're into gun fu and zen shooting but for hunting and stuff you only need an accurate light rifle no? Something like a 5.56?

I mean what kind of animal requires a .50 match bullet? Those things are used to shoot engines out!

I don't know anyone who would hunt deer with a .50 cal!! There wouldn't be a deer left! If you are shooting across a field 300-500 yards you need a .308 or 30.06 light and medium cal rifle. just for distance and accuracy.

Silhouettes require black powder .44 or .50 cal, clays require a shot gun.
If you are hunting bear, a .45 handgun.... We do so many different things.

But the average person should be allowed have what they are comfortable with - and I don't mean a hand cannon! No sawed off shotguns either (fun as they are - hehee) People should also have to take some sort of course, acheive some sort of certification to own, just like a car.

Get better locks and quit living in a wooden shack with your armoury (joking). The pint being that a well secured home will turn most attackers away without any incident, it's only through having weaknesses in the building that the intruder gets in. Perhaps

Yes, well, I've always WANTED to live in a castle, anyway. Living out here on the frontier we don't have any. Sniff. Must speak to husband about digging a moat...

I'm going right off on a tangent to suggest that flowers should be planted on every street - as many flowers as possible. It has been proven somewhere - in the East - Japan, or China maybe (specifics not my strong point) that the prevalence of flowers has a direct impact on reducing the levels of crime in a given neighbourhood. So let's swamp the streets with flowers and see if anyone feels that they need a gun after that.:m045:
Really!
That's awesome!
I'm going to see what it does for my own yard in the spring!!

Enigma, bless you for saying what you believe (and I mean that) but I disagree that there's any need to own anything but a light calibre rifle.

Whether or not, given the chance, I wouldn't have everything from an H&K G11 to an M82 Barrett is totally beside the point... *ahem*

More powerful rifles have higher kicks. The only time they're more useful is when the target is a long way away... ie sniping. I know dear are skittish but really? That bad? I'd be surprised.

As for handguns and home defence... truthfully if someone pursued you in to your house wishing ill against you and yours (yours being your family) then I'd be tempted to argue that being shot is too nice and you're doing it wrong. On the other hand, aren't most of them after your VCR and your presence is an inconvenience? If a large enough percentage of the break ins are only intended for robbery then I totally think that lethal force is too much. Get better locks and quit living in a wooden shack with your armoury (joking). The pint being that a well secured home will turn most attackers away without any incident, it's only through having weaknesses in the building that the intruder gets in. Perhaps spending the money there would be wiser and less likely to result in death, cause if he's in and you shoot, I hope you hit cause you just gave him the perfect reason to shoot back and that's bad.
In a perfect world, your scenario works.
Of course, this isn't a perfect world.
Two days ago, a woman in Oklahoma saved her own life from a crazed intruder.
He threw a patio table though her sliding glass door, and entered with her there, aiming a shotgun at him.
He entered.
She shot.
He died.
She was on the phone with 911 at the time.
Killing intruders is legal in her state.
She will not be prosecuted.
Apparently, she had been in bed reading her Bible when her dogs alerted her.:becky:

http://www.foxnews.com/search-results/m/27864760/i-ll-kill-him-graveyard-dead.htm#q=oklahoma+woman

http://newsok.com/law-allows-fatal-shot-lincoln-county-official-says/article/3423575

He was banging on the door before he broke in.
I wonder why?
I do wonder if she tried ascertaining from him what it was that he wanted.

Last edited:
I think the problem is that what works for England isn't necessarily what will work for America and vice versa.

He threw a patio table though her sliding glass door, and entered with her there, aiming a shotgun at him.
He entered.
She shot.
He died.
Apparently, she had been in bed reading her Bible when her dogs alerted her.:becky:

http://www.foxnews.com/search-results/m/27864760/i-ll-kill-him-graveyard-dead.htm#q=oklahoma+woman

http://newsok.com/law-allows-fatal-shot-lincoln-county-official-says/article/3423575

I wonder why?

Seriously, there was a triple murder 1 town over from my a year ago. 2 paroled felons freshly released form jail broke into a mans house in Cheshire CT, beat and tied the father down and left him in the basement then spent the night raping and torturing his 2 daughters and wife. Then they killed them and lit the house on fire, possessions and all.

There is no time when they're crawling through the window to worry about what tey want, it should be 2 shots center mass and then a phone call to the clean up squad, errr police I mean.

He entered.
She shot.
He died.

I wonder why?

I was totally thinking of this woman when I posted... ugh... terrifying.

I would not pause to negotiate with people who broke into my home, or wait to find out exactly what they wanted. A table through the patio door is a pretty strong statement that they are not wanting to forge a strong and lasting relationship. And she did call 911 before shooting, which shows that she was at least trying to get help before using lethal force.

Last edited:
Seriously, there was a triple murder 1 town over from my a year ago. 2 paroled felons freshly released form jail broke into a mans house in Cheshire CT, beat and tied the father down and left him in the basement then spent the night raping and torturing his 2 daughters and wife. Then they killed them and lit the house on fire, possessions and all.

There is no time when they're crawling through the window to worry about what tey want, it should be 2 shots center mass and then a phone call to the clean up squad, errr police I mean.
Oh God, I remember that - it was so brutal! Kept me up nights. I think that is when we started keeping an 'emergency' gun more handy - at least of you are 6 foot tall....

Oh God, I remember that - it was so brutal! Kept me up nights. I think that is when we started keeping an 'emergency' gun more handy - at least of you are 6 foot tall....

I cant imagine how scary it would be for a woman to live in this society with their smaller stature physically... i believe all women should learn how to shoot a hand gun and have one for self defense.

I cant imagine how scary it would be for a woman to live in this society with their smaller stature physically... i believe all women should learn how to shoot a hand gun and have one for self defense.

I am 5 feet tall and 130lbs.... and I can shoot most guns that make men hesitate. It is something I m very proud of. But I have always been a tomboy.

Being a small person, living on a dirt road not far from the highway, but just far enough, with two small children, I am prepared to defend my family if the unmentionable should happen. My husband is gone all hours during the winter due to snow... Scares me shitless if I let myself think about it. We live in a safe area, but you never know...

I was born in Wyoming.

I'm about as pro gun as you can be.

I have yet to see any evidence that gun control keeps guns out of the hands of anyone but law abiding citizens.

I used to be more focused on the pragmatic side of the gun ownership debate, such as the fairly well observed truth that violent crime and gun ownership have a strong inverse relationship, etc...
And I still do think these arguments have great merit, but...
I don't give a shit anymore.
Because, they don't matter.

Even if you could PROVE to me that widespread gun ownership/concealed carry would infact cause more violent crime and/or more people to die, I would still be completely in favor of it.

Freedom is more important than safety.

If you live in a free society, you have the right to own/carry whatever guns you want.
If you don't, you aren't free.
End of story.

Last edited:
Reactions: the
I used to be more focused on the pragmatic side of the gun ownership debate, such as the fairly well observed truth that violent crime and gun ownership have a strong inverse relationship, etc...
And I still do think these arguments have great merit, but...
I don't give a shit anymore.
Because, they don't matter.

If you live in a free society, you have the right to own/carry whatever guns you want.
If you don't, you aren't free.
End of story.

Bingo, I hate when people use emotional rationalizations for banning guns. OH GUNS ARE MADE TO KILL PEOPLE! Uhh yeah I know, its sorta why I got mine. I am responsible enough to know when to not use and when to use it though.

And my favorite argument, oh you don't need a hand gun to hunt... misnomer, my guns aren't for hunting, they're for killing human beings. Can you handle that?

Enigma, bless you for saying what you believe (and I mean that) but I disagree that there's any need to own anything but a light calibre rifle.

Whether or not, given the chance, I wouldn't have everything from an H&K G11 to an M82 Barrett is totally beside the point... *ahem*

More powerful rifles have higher kicks. The only time they're more useful is when the target is a long way away... ie sniping. I know dear are skittish but really? That bad? I'd be surprised.

As for handguns and home defence... truthfully if someone pursued you in to your house wishing ill against you and yours (yours being your family) then I'd be tempted to argue that being shot is too nice and you're doing it wrong. On the other hand, aren't most of them after your VCR and your presence is an inconvenience? If a large enough percentage of the break ins are only intended for robbery then I totally think that lethal force is too much. Get better locks and quit living in a wooden shack with your armoury (joking). The pint being that a well secured home will turn most attackers away without any incident, it's only through having weaknesses in the building that the intruder gets in. Perhaps spending the money there would be wiser and less likely to result in death, cause if he's in and you shoot, I hope you hit cause you just gave him the perfect reason to shoot back and that's bad.

I kinda agree with you here. I don't really believe in rushing to shoot someone just because they're invading private property. If they are endangering your loved ones, and i have no other option to protect myself or them, then maybe i would take the shot, but i'm not keen on shooting anyone or ending a life even if have a right to shoot. A life is a life. I don't believe in justifying the right to shoot and kill just because i may have that right in that particular circumstance. I'd imagine having a hard time living with the reality that i've hurt or killed someone, even if i had no choice.

So, even if i owned a gun, i'd be very careful about in what situations i should pull it out or use it. Too many rush for the gun first, when they're probably other options, much less violent or lethal that they could've been tried first. Fact is, when we're in that situation, we sometimes act on panic and fear, and make decisions which are impulsive, which we later regret, and can't take back.

I would be interested in getting some opinions on this woman's actions:

[YOUTUBE]CgKk6c4J9iA[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited: