gifted kids | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

gifted kids

The fast-paced world of boarding can be confusing. Just gotta roll with it.
The direction boggles my mind too.
I don't even know what this thread is looking.
Further learning on how does it feel to be a gifted child?
Knowledge on how gifted child(s) are living and how they are treated in real life?
Circle-jerkish reassurance of "DON'T WORRY GUYS WE ARE GIFTED WE ARE COOL WE ARE SMART"?
Sharing the experience of being a gifted child?
What?

And this is all assuming we're all seeing a same thing with the word 'gifted'.
Man, I feel old. :(

Last edited:
All hail [MENTION=3799]bionic[/MENTION]!

Sometimes. I attribute my alienation to intelligence, however, because when I am around smart people, I feel more 'at home'. And not just nerdy people; 'smart' smart people.

I mean, I'd like to be wrong about this. I've gone through periods where I think I'm full of shit and maybe way too self-involved for my own good. But, I've thought about it a long time, and I'm pretty sure I'm right. Unfortunately.

Alice144, please allow me to correct a logical fallacy in your understanding. It is not because the people you desire to be around are "smart" "intelligent" "140+ IQ", etc. It is that you have found like-minded individuals who happen to exhibit those qualities. I'm sure there are other smart people out there who might just bore you to death. (I know lots!)

To expand on intelligence however, there are also multiple intelligences. Now you may have a high reasoning ability with an IQ of 135, but you sound like someone with much lower emotional intelligence level (no offense, not attacking you, merely an observation of your argument structures). There is also the mathematical and musical, such as Einstein and Mozart. There are others too that I can't quite think of...

Reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_multiple_intelligences

I wasn't marked as gifted in school, I was home schooled from 2nd grade through 7th, so by the time I got into the system and accustomed with it the reapings had already occurred -- kids were already in their "advanced" classes and I was stuck with the proletariat. It wasn't all bad though, I got straight A's 9 times out of 10 (with the exception of Geometry. It's like Auschwitz with concurrent angles) and I was able to get into AP courses. I had to work though, since my family didn't really have a lot of money, so I could only take one AP class a year vs. Assbags who were taking 14 AP classes a doctoral class in Harvard and a lesson in social grace and dignity from a Autistic program apparently. Assbags.
I was also a late bloomer of sorts, in 8th grade it's not that I didn't understand that stuff, but when given the information I could only apply it back in a certain manner.. hard to explain. Once 9th grade came I became a lot more better good at it.

-That being said, I am regularly told by all my college professors that I write some of the best essays they've a) ever seen or b) best one this semester. I love courses with a big chunk of work being writing. Love writing. And yes, this punk with these shit posts can actually pen a decent essay. I don't like to brag though, unlike the kid in philosophy who spent a week saying how he was going to ace this test.... and then he failed it, and flopped the essay. I felt bad for him. Bitch had it coming though :|

Reactions: tfg345i4u5lw
I wasn't marked as gifted in school, I was home schooled from 2nd grade through 7th, so by the time I got into the system and accustomed with it the reapings had already occurred -- kids were already in their "advanced" classes and I was stuck with the proletariat. It wasn't all bad though, I got straight A's 9 times out of 10 (with the exception of Geometry. It's like Auschwitz with concurrent angles) and I was able to get into AP courses. I had to work though, since my family didn't really have a lot of money, so I could only take one AP class a year vs. Assbags who were taking 14 AP classes a doctoral class in Harvard and a lesson in social grace and dignity from a Autistic program apparently. Assbags.
I was also a late bloomer of sorts, in 8th grade it's not that I didn't understand that stuff, but when given the information I could only apply it back in a certain manner.. hard to explain. Once 9th grade came I became a lot more better good at it.

-That being said, I am regularly told by all my college professors that I write some of the best essays they've a) ever seen or b) best one this semester. I love courses with a big chunk of work being writing. Love writing. And yes, this punk with these shit posts can actually pen a decent essay. I don't like to brag though, unlike the kid in philosophy who spent a week saying how he was going to ace this test.... and then he failed it, and flopped the essay. I felt bad for him. Bitch had it coming though :|

I pretty much envy anyone who can write good papers. I had the ideas but I always struggled with organizing my thoughts on paper. I think the more I read, the more confused I became, so focusing on one particular thought or idea was harder. Maybe Ne has something to do with it, you think of all the possibilities instead of focusing on the development of one train of thought or idea.

I used to love to read, and not so much write. Now I love to write, and not so much read. I project myself into my pen, when I write I'm not really aware of anything around me, I just let loose and my fingers type my ideas and i don't stop until I'm done. Then I go back and erase crap that sucks, but that's the most enjoyable way for me to write.

Alice144, please allow me to correct a logical fallacy in your understanding. It is not because the people you desire to be around are "smart" "intelligent" "140+ IQ", etc. It is that you have found like-minded individuals who happen to exhibit those qualities. I'm sure there are other smart people out there who might just bore you to death. (I know lots!)

Not to harp on this, but only smart people are going to be interested in intellectual things. I totally dig that there are some smart people who are into drinking and partying and getting it on and being awesome at sports. That's cool too. So, yes, I should have been more specific. And when did we start bringing IQ into this? I hate discussions about IQ. I sure hope this isn't my fault.

Can you please explain 'smart' as it relates to a type of people? Or perhaps what a 'smart' person is not?

Secondly, can you please elaborate 'intellectual things'?

IQ was brought up in part by a broad use of smart and intelligence, combined with mentioning your own IQ and the IQ of those you like to be around.

i was never labelled academically ‘gifted’ at school.

i did very well in a couple things, and very poorly at everything else. my report card:

“Blackmountainside is a quiet and pleasant student but she does nothing and she is failing miserably” ---------- a special brand of teenage angst gripped me hard.

at my university most students come from upper middle and upper class families (father was a doctor/lawyer/engineer, grandfather was a doctor/lawyer/engineer ---- what’s a government school?) at my highschool students smoked dope at lunch time and teachers pointed the finger and said ‘don’t do that again’.

Reactions: palomica26.2
combined with mentioning your own IQ and the IQ of those you like to be around.

I mentioned my own IQ because everyone else was doing it. I don't think I mentioned the IQ of people who I like to be around.

Can you please explain 'smart' as it relates to a type of people?

You can define it as broadly as you want.

What you said works too:

What Alice144 means in the usage of smart or intelligence is that she connects more easily with those who have a higher level reasoning/understanding, specifically those that share similar interests in the topics that Alice144 enjoys. The best (or only) place where she has thus far discovered to find such individuals are at University. That is not to say that those who score lower on an IQ test, or have a lower education level would be able to communicate with her at her desired level of understanding, it is that she has come yet to come across one such person that can. Given the low statistical probability that she would randomly cross paths with one such person that can communicate on a level of understanding in the wide range of topics that she desires, it is as if it were a non-existent possibility. Given that University presents a much higher probability to find such intellectuals, and the highly improbability of other individuals with the desired characteristics, it is much easier to say smart or dumb, than convey all that I have explained.

In elementary school, I was that one ubernerdy, unbearably cocky child that everyone hates, mostly as a result of super-indulgent parents who tricked into believing that people gave a damn what I thought. My school didn't do the whole 'gifted' thing, mostly because the children of wealthy donors were very ungifted, and it would have pissed Daddy off to no end to have seen his spawn shunted into the background, but I was in 'advanced math' and all of that other crap that they used.

Reactions: barbad0s
I was never officially identified as gifted, but no one has apparently had much doubt about it since I was little. Has the education system failed me? In some ways, yes. In other ways, it did okay. Being skipped ahead randomly caused me to have some huge gaps in my knowledge, but I'm coping with that.

How gifted I am - I have no idea. Could I have done more? Almost certainly. Have I been isolated? Yes.
My life story :p

Last edited:
Reactions: the
Here's a link to an swiss info brochure directed at teachers about intellectually gifted children.
https://www.asep-suisse.org/joomla/
click on anglais for an english language PDF.
I posted this link on another thread. I think it's a good summary of specific challenges intellectually gifted kids can face in the school system and also how their way of thinking may contribute to poor performance in school. I don't see what the big deal is about providing kids with special needs suitable education, even if the special needs are because of giftedness so to speak.

Gifted children process information in a very different way than the average population.
They have more important capacities for analogical processing, a faster processing speed, they basically understand faster. Their short term memory is twice the norm and their long term memory is also larger than the norm.
In her book “The Gifted Child”, Jeanne Siaud-Facchin explains how studies on the brain have shown that gifted children use their right hemisphere (which treats information globally, simultaneously and manages emotions) more than their left hemisphere (which analyses and breaks down information sequentially). It would also appear that their brain can receive a larger quantity of information at the same time and that exchanges between both hemispheres are faster.
In parallel to psychometric testing (IQ tests), a second category of tests has been developed by Anglo-Saxon research to appreciate divergent thinking, that means the ability of an individual to find original and innovative alternative solutions to situations she may be faced with.
This research has shed a new light on intuition, which was long considered to be a sixth sense.
This processing seems particularly effective with gifted children who are better at applying solutions than at explaining them. They use formal logical thinking, divergent thinking and intuition with a rare ability and ease, in a very speedy way.
Jeanne Siaud-Facchin also explains that gifted children use arborescent thinking, while so- called “normal” children think in a sequential way. “Arborescent” thinking can also be described as “Visual-Spatial” thinking.
The school system is based on the sequential way of thinking. This is why gifted children feel out of place and why teachers do not understand why a child who was officially declared “intelligent” is incapable of applying learning methods or problem resolution strategies which have proved adequate with so many other children.

As a summary, by using her good memory, her quick mindedness and her ease to adapt, the student makes up for irregular studying, a frequent lack of motivation and lack of methods... Used to finding school easy (good memory, intuition), the student is constantly under- stimulated and she succeeds without really needing to organize her work.
POSITIVES
 Fast  Curious  Witted  Intuitive  Good memory  Real or potential work capacity  Imagination  Originality  Strong personality, strong character
NEGATIVE
 Not very academic  Lack of in-depth thinking  Lack of method  Lack of motivation  Superficial or insufficient way of studying  Inefficient in routine tasks  Lack of focus  Bad use of intuition
Association Suisse pour les Enfants Précoces (ASEP) Swiss Association for Gifted Children
During primary school, she will not really need to confront a learning process entailing efforts and challenges.
Some will use their abilities to avoid making any effort, others will stay vigilant and will manage to adapt when the level becomes more difficult and eventually interesting. Academic failure in gifted children is seen in 1 girl for 4 boys and in 16% of all children all ages and genders. However, in children aged 12 to 18, failure is much more frequent, up to 50%, easily fixable with adequate assistance. These statistics relate to gifted children identified by psychometric testing.

AS A CONCLUSION

“Gifted children are not really like the others but, like the others, they are children” Dr. Olivier Revol.

Despite the myths, we shouldn’t expect prodigious achievements or exceptional results. Their difference is often a real handicap to them. Gifted with a remarkable memory, they can learn effortlessly what they are interested in but find it very hard to learn “off by heart”, especially what they find “meaningless”.
Even if they seem gifted with seriously above-average cognitive competencies, these hypersensitive children suffer from stress more than the others. Affectivity is their main driver and their behaviour is often influenced by their environment. De-motivated, they will lose their interest and their drive. Enrichment and intensification of the school program can partially help them to re-motivate.
Gifted children need a precise frame, even more than other children. The school system must allow them to use their extra intellectual abilities but also teach them learning methods to ensure that they do not only rely on their competencies.
In parallel, it is important for them to understand how they think and to make the best use of their abilities. They also need to learn how to use the school system methods; that’s the key to their adaptation.
These children need an adapted pedagogy, which takes into account not only their learning rhythm and their potential, but their weaknesses as well.

Different needs. What's the harm in giving a child suitable education? Just because there are certain myths, uneasy feelings and prejudices about certain kids with different needs, despite the label being "intellectually gifted", doesn't to me justify the fact that unless the issue and reality of certain difficulties that come with being a different kind of a student in this specific way is aknowledged lots of kids will not be given the tools and assistance they need to thrive like any other kid. It's just an issue of special needs pedagogy. If it weren't thought of as an automatic advantage (which it is not...hence the thread) and was any other type of special need we wouldn't have this debate here. Whatever the labels and hurt feelings and distaste for deeming a bunch of kids "special"...well..you know..tough...suck it up. It's not anyone's fault, the way they were born. The ideal I would suspect that we're thriving for is betterment for all individuals, despite what your handicap is. Even if it sounds fetching.
Maybe if there is a real difference between thinking styles then it may be better to remove the "gifted" tag altogether and maybe refer to a group of different cognitive style learners instead. Insert snazzy name. In reality, since there is multiple kinds of giftedness and because the intellectual giftedness does not necessarily equate academic success, that would to me represent reality better and maybe take some of the pressure and stigma away from the said kids.

Intelligent people can be nice but -- its an adjective, however that isn't directly correlated to any form of personality traits that would be persevered and praised through our social mores.

'Smart kids can be assholes.'

'Dumb Kids can be assholes.'

Thus

'All kids can be assholes.'

Syllogism just jizzed all over this topic.

Intelligent people can be nice but -- its an adjective, however that isn't directly correlated to any form of personality traits that would be persevered and praised through our social mores.

'Smart kids can be assholes.'

'Dumb Kids can be assholes.'

Thus

'All kids can be assholes.'

Syllogism just jizzed all over this topic.

That was a nice bit of nonsense to read. Very profound.

I wasn't called gifted by anyone I can recall.

Unless you count the encouraging words of a random group of psychics in the north american desert I happened to bump into. But I think they meant normally gifted... not anything too strange or paranormal. I think...

Nope. Some professionals even thought that I wasn't good for school. It was BS. Now I have M.Sc degree (I actually started to get intellectually bored with some of the advanced courses in the area I majored in the university.). I don't like tests. I know that I have huge test anxiety which can impair me completely. It takes time to calm myself down.

I had wide knowledge over various things which amazed teachers when I started school.

Last edited: