gifted kids | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

gifted kids

What I've always wondered about is what about giftedness in areas not traditionally recognized in a typical high school curriculum? Many people are not recognized as gifted or exceptional or don't realize their area of specialty until they get to college where they are exposed to a wider variety of subjects or areas. For example, giftedness in the social or human sciences (humanities) is rarely acknowledged as a special area of giftedness unless you've shown exceptional writing talent or in media (technology) or politics. Problem is giftedness or intelligence testing too often focuses on "measurable" abilities such as math, sciences, etc. Those with exceptional understanding in other areas are rarely given the same acknowledgement or recognition as the physical or earth sciences. It wasn't until grad school that I figured out that I was pretty good at grasp theory and analysis. I was glad to realize this because it meant that I was pretty good at something. But I don't think the point is to be gifted but to just be good or even the best at whatever you do or excel in and hopefully enjoy it.

Last edited:
Intuitive people are different. I'm horrible with loose facts and details because there are no appropriate connections. Route learning sucks. Walking encyclopedia = walking hard drive containing text files.
Research is interesting because I like to connect dots.

I sucked at biochemistry because there was so much to memorize. I saw the reaction routes and it was interesting but never got it why to learn them by heart. I have even memorized periodic table of elements once but I don't recall it perfectly anymore.

Intuitive people are different. I'm horrible with loose facts and details because there are no appropriate connections. Route learning sucks. Walking encyclopedia = walking hard drive containing text files.

Yep, this was me as well. Never good with memorizing facts but could make connections between ideas. That is also why I enjoyed research. Probably why my ideal job is a librarian.

I sucked at biochemistry because there was so much to memorize. I saw the reaction routes and it was interesting but never got it why to learn them by heart. I have even memorized periodic table of elements once but I don't recall it perfectly anymore.

If you just keep compiling and carrying ornaments around without hanging any up on the tree, you'll end up dropping some.

I don't believe in "gifted kids" we are as smart and as accomplished as the effort we put into being that way within the perspective of our own perception of where we stand on those scales.

99bda0a94fd9149699fc8bea28eb6342.jpg

Motivated, work my buns off, take few classes and everything slowly, placed in honors and get As as a result...so I still think of myself as average. The only way I would think myself truly special is if I came up with a cure for a disease, helped a lot of people, published a famous work of literature or art, or made some awesome discovery in mathematics or science. Otherwise, my surface flickers back a hint of light at times but I fall far short of diamond or gold; and, that's okay with me. Gotta live. Just living is a miracle and suits me fine. I'll do my part, and the stars will do theirs. If I do something great in the future, that's wonderful, but it won't make me feel any less human or imperfect.