Gender stereotypes and cliches | INFJ Forum

Gender stereotypes and cliches

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Gender stereotypes and cliches:

Which fit and do not fit you personally? Why or why not?

Last edited:
None of them fit universally, in my opinion.

Cultural variation also comes into play. Some cultures/societies have much more strictly enforced gender roles and they might be seen as universal within that population/those populations because there is so little leeway for choosing otherwise.

Last edited:
None of them fit universally, in my opinion.

Cultural variation also comes into play. Some cultures/societies have much more strictly enforced gender roles and they might be seen as universal within that population/those populations because there is such little leeway for choosing otherwise.

I meant personally. I'll add that in the OP. thx

I am convinced that most male western behavior is contrived nonsense to appear distinctly non-homosexual; drink beer, watch sports, eat steak, talk about pussy. That's the customary route but you can get away with almost anything as long as nobody suspects you want to take it in the ass. It's pathetic, really.

Anyway, as for how I personally break gender stereotypes:

- I like sports but I do not play them in organized leagues.
- I do not participate in misogynistic conversations where debasement of women is considered bonding.
- I enjoy art, music and introspection.

I am androgynous. Not so much that everything is in between, but more that I have points on both sides of the same coin. Here are a few:

Male:
+ I have a thrill seeker side. I'll jump off bridges, ski off cliffs, drive as fast as possible, do flips, etc. with little hesitation and much excitement.
+ I usually want to lead / take charge.
+ Drinking and doing other unmentionably illegal activites can be a lot of fun for me.
+ Fashion/design is boring and I don't really care about it.
+ I have little to no problem telling people off when I am in a posistion of power.
+ FIRE & EXPLOSIVES :love:
+ I perpetually have a beard due to hatred of shaving :D.

Female:
+ I could never physically fight someone in anger.
+ I get around and recognize places by landmarks.
+ Watching sports is boring mostly (except hockey).
+ I dislike loud noise and rough environments.
+ I love the finer things in life.
+ I am very non-competative.

If there were a line, I'd be skipping rope with it.

Exhibit A - Engineering
Exhibit B - Choir

-I have taken it upon myself to learn many domestic activities and enjoy the more creative activities (cooking, sewing, Martha stewart type craftyness)
-I fixate over my appearence and reputation.
-I like to feel pretty (witty, and gay).
-I am not immune to the charm of characters such as Mr. Darcy, Aragorn, and Neil Patrick Harris.
-I dislike country music, but love Chopin.
-I love math more than I love Chopin.
-I love physics more than I love Mr. Darcy.
-I specialize in risque one liners.
-I hate chocolate
-I am on the internet, and we all know there are no women on the internet.
-I do not participate in misogynistic conversations where debasement of women is considered bonding.
-I do participate in misogynistic conversations where debasement of women is considered humor.
-Add the word competition to anything, and my interest will be instantly piqued.
-By the way, not just any engineering but ROCKET SCIENCE!
-I'm not very delicate.
-I collect badass points.

I'd add more, but I have a date with Sir Issac Newton.

None really suit me very well, just occasionally or partially. I have found people who do fit them though, which is always funny.

I am androgynous. Not so much that everything is in between, but more that I have points on both sides of the same coin. Here are a few:

Male:
+ I have a thrill seeker side. I'll jump off bridges, ski off cliffs, drive as fast as possible, do flips, etc. with little hesitation and much excitement.
+ I usually want to lead / take charge.
+ Drinking and doing other unmentionably illegal activites can be a lot of fun for me.
+ Fashion/design is boring and I don't really care about it.
+ I have little to no problem telling people off when I am in a posistion of power.
+ FIRE & EXPLOSIVES :love:
+ I perpetually have a beard due to hatred of shaving :D.

Female:
+ I could never physically fight someone in anger.
+ I get around and recognize places by landmarks.
+ Watching sports is boring mostly (except hockey).
+ I dislike loud noise and rough environments.
+ I love the finer things in life.
+ I am very non-competative.

Just curious, if someone else wanted to take the lead would you let them? (being non competitive and always wanting to take charge seem at odds! Unless no one else wants to ever take charge :p)

Just curious, if someone else wanted to take the lead would you let them? (being non competitive and always wanting to take charge seem at odds! Unless no one else wants to ever take charge :p)

It depends. I am not the one who usually says "ok I am incharge" when I take over it sort of just happens. Sort of the lowest common demominator; when everyone is passive, I am not, when everyone is a leader I sit back. The only time I take over is when someone is doing something really wrong. If someone just wants to take over for the sake of taking over though, I don't do so well with that.

I like to be in charge, but I don't like to always be the prime leader. I like second in command, or something to that effect.

It depends. I am not the one who usually says "ok I am incharge" when I take over it sort of just happens. Sort of the lowest common demominator; when everyone is passive, I am not, when everyone is a leader I sit back. The only time I take over is when someone is doing something really wrong. If someone just wants to take over for the sake of taking over though, I don't do so well with that.

I like to be in charge, but I don't like to always be the prime leader. I like second in command, or something to that effect.

So when someone is doing something really wrong and won't passively stand aside, at those moments you'll forgo your non-competitive instincts and assertively take control? (sorry if I'm being annoying, just trying to understand! and thanks for elaborating btw =)

So when someone is doing something really wrong and won't passively stand aside, at those moments you'll forgo your non-competitive instincts and assertively take control? (sorry if I'm being annoying, just trying to understand! and thanks for elaborating btw =)

Oh don't worry about it. I don't assertively take control persay. It's kind of hard to say. I usually say something like "no, you're doing it wrong" and explain how to do it, if they still fail I do one of those "move over, I'll show you". Maybe it's luck, but most people back off after this point and let me stay doing what I am doing from then on. If I can teach them well enough I will leave them alone. I'll watch em like a hawk though.

Oh don't worry about it. I don't assertively take control persay. It's kind of hard to say. I usually say something like "no, you're doing it wrong" and explain how to do it, if they still fail I do one of those "move over, I'll show you". Maybe it's luck, but most people back off after this point and let me stay doing what I am doing from then on. If I can teach them well enough I will leave them alone. I'll watch em like a hawk though.

kudos, that makes sense =)

I defy all female stereotypes and cliches!...

Except for being chained to the kitchen. :m142:

I am female, female, female.

I like to dress conservatively. I enjoy baking and crafts. I don't know how to cook but I'd like to. I like to do my hair and my makeup. I am not into sports or physically exerting myself. I like to be taken care of. But my personality has a bit of a harder edge than most females I know. My "soft" side very rarely comes out. Sometimes I can also be bossy, controlling and manipulative and like to be in power positions. But for the most part there's no mistaking my female qualities both in personality and appearance.

I, Lilchamor:

Male:
-Hate cooking most of the time.
-On that note, am hungry most of the time.
-Cannot sew for the life of me.
-Like working out.
-And looking at my abs in the mirror after a workout.
-Have too much self-esteem.
-Bossy.

Female:
-Like going to the mall.
-Can do my own nails, and my friends' as well.
-Love wearing and shopping for pretty dresses.
-Read Jodi Picoult obsessively.
-Non-violent in all things.
-Dislike competition.
-Good with emotions.

Male:

I do not put much emphasis on personal appearance
Loves to eat

Female:

I am not afraid to express my emotions
Sensitive to any sort of noise
Non-competitive
I love to read romantic novels and watch romantic films
Dislike violence
Pretty submissive

Can't think of much at the moment...also I really hate stereotypes.

I am pretty much a lady.

-I like to wear dresses (not all the time though)
-I like to wear clothes that hug my curves
-Like to cook
-Like to read lovey-dovey books/watch lovey dovey movies
-Like to paint my nails
-Like to sing
-Emotional
-Dislike violence (in excess)
-Like to shop

BUT, I also share some male cliches:
-Like action movies
-I like working out and admiring my muscles
-The oven is not my friend
-I like science
-I LOVE cars
-I read Car and Driver
-I know how to jumpstart a car

Last edited:
I am a total girly girl. I have to say it. :p I hate jeans. Mainly because of comfortableness. Jeans are the polar opposite of comfort. I love to dress nicely. I wear jewelry, even with sweats. I love sewing, singing, cooking, etc. I hate sports for so many reasons.

However, I am also not as girly girl at times. It may just be my anger issues, but I get these urges to just punch/be really violent towards random people for random reasons. I love typically non-girly subjects. Computers, yes. Science, yes. Sci fi shows, yes. Video games... I don't have enough patience. I am loud when I want to be. I am somewhat competitive (on stupid things).

Reactions: jyrffw54
Male
- like to be in control
- hate compromise
- like my space / hate being crowded

Female
- talkative
- friendly
- sensitive
- quiet, passive and unassuming (stolen from @Peppermint's list :D)

Last edited: