Gender stereotypes and cliches | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Gender stereotypes and cliches

I find I have traits in either area.

Male
-I hate wearing skirts and dresses and I never wear them. I tried a couple on recently just to see if I still hated them, and yep, I still do.
-I have never fantasized about the perfect wedding. I got married in a court house in a pair of jeans, and I am perfectly happy with that.
- Can't stand romantic comedies.
-Don't really like to wear "girly" colors or patterns.
-Not the least bit grossed out by bugs or reptiles or mice. In fact if I notice a cute little garden snake, I am likely to have to resist a strong urge to pounce on it, never to hurt it though, just to observe it.
-I've never seen the point of wearing heels.
-I hate cheerleaders and the entire cheerleader mentality. Barf.
-I sometimes forget to do things, like...my laundry. Oops.
- I like fishing.

Female
- I like to smell yummy! Lotions and other things of that nature that smell nice, I love.
- I like to do my hair up sometimes, but most of the time I am too lazy. I do enjoy doing it when I do though.
- Sometimes I find it fun to put makeup on. Usually don't wear it ever, but sometimes it is just fun to do.
- I take pretty good care of my skin, I have a routine I usually don't miss a beat on, including dry skin brushing.
- Kind of a health nut as far as food goes, but can be prone to sudden chocolate binges on the side. >_>
- I like to wear certain kinds of jewelry, sterling silver rings...hemp bracelets/necklaces. Usually hand made glass beads or actual stones like tigers eye, jasper, sodalite...never gaudy plastic. Unless it's a rainbow bead necklace. Gotta admit, I do enjoy those.
- I always HAVE to have chapstick.
- I looooooove baking and cooking.
- Pretty sentimental.

Last edited:
I think I'm pretty well balanced.

Let's see...

Male
  • I play(ed) video games... and kicked ass!
  • I prefer action, sci-fi and/or fantasy movies over chick flicks
  • I cannot stand shopping. I'm in and out of a store in under 5 minutes
  • I'm not violent by nature, but I can hold my own in a scrap
  • I'm physically strong and agile
  • I'm more career-oriented than interested in romance
  • I can drink most other girls under the table (and I don't do girly drinks. Pass me a shot of vodka or a bottle of beer)
  • I'm assertive
  • I play sports whenever there's an opportunity (soccer, rugby, basketball)
  • My culinary accomplishments are Kraft Dinner or the easiest, most simple dish you can imagine.
  • I do not hesitate to take charge.
  • I know my comic book heroes!
  • I do not just give out sympathy; I offer practical advice and focus on problem solving

Female
  • I fret over my appearance.
  • I have an obsession with shoes
  • I like to dress sexy
  • I love make up and perfume
  • English Literature was my major
  • I love flowers and gardening! And I love getting flowers and chocolates too
  • When I'm in a relationship, I love being the little spoon and I like being daintier than my man (which is tough, considering I'm a tall gal)
  • I am immensely attracted to masculine-looking (read: ruggedly handsome men); the strong jaw, the broad shoulders, the well-muscled physique... gets me every time.
  • You cannot get me off the frickin' phone
  • I get along with young children swimmingly

Last edited:
Hey! Since when is Literature a female thing?!?

Male:

• Detest house work and cooking.
  • Dislike babies and children.
  • Very poor nurturer and dislike it too.
  • A picture speaks a thousand words
  • Disinterested in other people and their affairs, as well as celebrity gossip.
  • Absolutely non-submissive.
  • Capable of being confrontational and displaying aggression if necessary.
  • Put high value on independence and self-sufficiency.
  • Insensitive and blunt.
  • Forgetful of manners, and don't care.
  • Unconcerned of other people's opinion.
  • Not naturally cooperative.
  • Value what makes sense over emotionality.
  • Dislike open emotionality and weakness and not good at expression.
  • Sloppy and unconcerned with tidiness.
  • Materially low maintenance and nearly spartan in regards to aesthetics of living quarters.
  • Use a lot of "colorful" words in speech, secretly have a perverted mind, like making ride, crass, sexual, dark jokes.

Female:

• Quiet, passive and unassuming.
  • Invest in hair and nail maintenance.
  • Own and use makeup and cosmetics.
  • Like looking nice.
  • Physically weak and nonathletic.
  • Despise sports.
  • Dislike alcohol.
  • Not a fan of video games.

Hey! Since when is Literature a female thing?!?

I don't know about you, but at my school, 90% of my classes were all female and almost all of them were the made-up, Barbie-doll types with the majority of them whip-smart to boot. My guy friends would joke about English lectures being like hitting the hot girl jackpot.

I don't know about you, but at my school, 90% of my classes were all female and almost all of them were the made-up, Barbie-doll types with the majority of them whip-smart to boot. My guy friends would joke about English lectures being like hitting the hot girl jackpot.
Oh I wish.

I act like a total chick, except: all of my friends are guys, I prefer to dress casually than dressing up, and I talk to all my guy friends like I'm just one of the boys. You know, when they talk about females and crap. It's weird for guys at first... all of my boy friends tell me I'm not a regular girl. But I like it that way :)

Oh I wish.

Damn. You should've come to my school. We would've partied hardy, you and I... although I suspect classes would be 10 times more enjoyable for you :p

• I am immensely attracted to masculine-looking (read: ruggedly handsome men); the strong jaw, the broad shoulders, the well-muscled physique... gets me every time.

Me toooo... *drools a little*

Damn. You should've come to my school. We would've partied hardy, you and I... although I suspect classes would be 10 times more enjoyable for you :p
And we could have partied with Bedouin Soundclash while stalking Current Swell.
Me toooo... *drools a little*
Hey [MENTION=1779]NeverAmI[/MENTION] put your shirt back on! The mod buttons are covered in Indy and TDHT drool!

I'm pretty close to being androgynous, but I have strong roots in masculinity.
MALE
-I'm somewhat of a thrillseeker. I like adventuring and exploring, and trying things that are somewhat risky.
-I don't shy away from heavy lifting or getting my hands dirty
-I'm pretty slack when it comes to certain rules, and I don't get on people's cases for saying something rude.
-I like sterotypically masculine clothing.
-I have a natural sense of responsibility for those I care about (an almost aggressive protectiveness), and a somewhat paternal nature.
-I love natural disasters

FEMALE
-I enjoy romance, emotional expression, and things people would consider 'sappy' or 'mushy'
-I like to go shopping with my sister/ female cousins
-I enjoy crafts, like scrapbooking and decorating, and I also like cooking and gardening
-I'm well informed on how to properly do dishes and laundry
-Concerned with how I look more than the average guy
-I find it easiest to have conversations with women, and actually understand what they're talking about!
-I shy away from violence and crudeness

This is likely because due to my sensitive, introverted and intuitive nature, I fall under a more effeminate profile by nature. I actually appreciate some of these stereotypes sometimes. Where I live, many girls who fit the feminine stereotype feel pressured to not be so girly. Guys who don't fit the masculine stereotype, well, people around here like to pretend like that doesn't exist (or try to remedy the feminine characteristics somehow!). I've noticed that stereotypically masculine characteristics are starting to take over, and that saddens me somewhat.

I'm pretty much androgynous.

I'm more masculine in personality than feminine.

Female:

• Enjoys spending time with children and babies.
  • Enjoys cooking.
  • Appreciates spending quality time with family and friends.
  • Loves the arts, music, drawing and film.
  • Obsessive with looks and presentation.
  • Enjoys and admires nature.
  • Loves working with animals and is a vegetarian.
  • Spends time dwelling in spirituality, is a Christian.
  • Gets teary eyed after watching a good drama.
  • Loves theater and attending plays.
  • Generally not forceful in approach.
  • Prefers to watch and listen. Observes.
  • Enjoys taking part in one on one conversations.

Male:

• Enjoys and participates in full contact combat sports such as Boxing and Muay Thai. :m144:
  • Drinks alcohol (the stronger the better). :m109:
  • Rides and owns a motorcycle.
  • Generally wears male fashions (pants, shirt and vest etc.).
  • Enjoys studying and discussing about science and physics.
  • Not afraid to get hands dirty and do heavy lifting.
  • Knows how to use and fire guns.
  • Aggressively protective, (will pick a scrap with anyone that is willing to hurt anyone that is close to me).
  • Tactless and blunt in conversations, can lack manners from time to time.
  • Clumsy and untidy in appearance and mannerism.
  • Does not take part in gossiping and strongly dislikes gossip groups and magazines.
  • Hides emotions, is reluctant to engage in them.
  • Lacks empathy.
  • Is a law breaker.
  • Stocky in build.
  • Knows survival skills and tactic.
  • Relates better with logical choices over emotional choices.
  • Plays multiplayer online video games. :m102:
  • Is a avid reader and collector of graphic novels and manga's.
  • Is a metal fan.
  • Strives for a well payed career in the film industry (film director and producer).
  • Has tattoos.

Last edited:
Hmm. I think of myself as a bit of androgynous too; more of the female side. Psyche-wise, more of a woman finally empowered rather than a man changing to a female.

As for gender stereotypes; I'll tell the obvious ones.
For the male side, I'm messy. :| I like to be clean, but I'm messy. I might come across as a bit aggressive too.
For the female side, I like cakes, pastel colors, flowers, ribbons, ruffles and laces. (Seriously.) I might come across as a bit whiny.

This is horrible..

But I love being at home and making my home cozy and cooking good food for people to enjoy.
I have literally dropped what I was doing and ran to the store when my boyfriend called from his job and said he was sick and wanted home made soup... to make him a pot of homemade soup.
I'm much more content cleaning and cooking a meal and knitting than I am to do schoolwork or develop machinations to take over the world as a cut-throat business woman.
Make of that what you will..

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaze