Gender and MBTI | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Gender and MBTI

maybe the question is something like: what is it that causes someone to prefer one function over another? since everyone has the potential to use all of them at different points, but have a set of dominant preferences.

is it a biological cause, is it society, is it a mix of different things?

and this is so true:

I guess guys would be more sensitive because the social stereotype for men is "Tough...GRRR...ROAR!"

i've often thought that if FP/J men decided to ignore their conscience, they could have sooo many women all at once! hahaha.

Just had a thought, there are 16 mbti types, each gender is different so there is 32 types and then there are healthy and unhealthy so 64 types and on and on...

Makes me wonder how useful mbti really is...

Even a system with 64 different types can serve to simplify things.

Technically only 32 of them would apply to you...since the gender differences are counted.

So then, do you think T women have to do the same thing the other way around?

In a word, yes.

At least dulling down the Teeness. We're raised from the day we're born with different expectations and standards according to our sex with little regard to our preference, in crude terms boys are not supposed to show too much weakness, girls are not supposed to show too much strength. I was out the other day and I don't know if it's just something I'm sensitive to as I've been pushed to fit a mould I simply cannot fit my whole life or not, but I heard a mother say to her 6 year old boy who was crying "shush, don't be such a girl" it made me sad to realise that although she didn't realise what she was saying, she meant it and that this kid would grow up thinking emotions were something he should suppress lest he be called a sissy meanwhile his sister is told as a girl she that her expectations are different to her brothers, that women should be treated differently. The little boy has it harder methinks but that’s only because being seen as a girl is an insult.

Kinda makes me think of these Madonna lyrics
Girls can wear jeans
And cut their hair short
Wear shirts and boots
'Cause it's OK to be a boy
But for a boy to look like a girl is degrading
'Cause you think that being a girl is degrading.

I’d be lying if I said it didn’t really suck to have these F-type expectations thrown at me all the time, I don’t like being told I’m cold, unemotional or heartless cause I know they’re put-downs based on my gender, I know the people who make these comments do not say these things to Tee men. So yeah, I chameleon, I work on developing my F, balancing that isn’t a bad thing per say but the reasons I feel I had to really suck. Really, really suck.

edit : or because they're T they're not as sensitive as F men to other people's judgement?

Also probably true, I don't care what others think of me the majority of the time but the expectations are there every single moment I'm mixing with people. It wears me down. I play a role.

i was going to start a thread on the differences i was noticing in the same MBTI type between male and females, but i found this :) *happy*

i can't really pinpoint the differences, but i think they do exist obvious enough for me to observe. for instance, both my father and one of my male friends are ISTP and though they exude roughly the same persona, it's very much different when compared to that of my female friend who is also an ISTP. i can't explain...i'll try to write it out after some thought

but i'm so happy i found this thread *dances*

Well, I think there are a lot of good points to this. I have a female INTJ friend who love fashion and is just very pretty and girly, but still has that NT edge...it's different from a guy though. I don't think it's specific to the fact that she's female so much as the expectations that are placed on the female gender.

Same with NF males, and F males in general.

My brother and I are both INFJs, but we both chameleon in different ways. At work, he plays an INTJ and I play an ESFJ.

Nope, doesn't effect me that way. I tend to like both the male and female versions of the types I like, and dislike the male and female version of the types I don't. Gender plays no role in my hatred.

Right, Ookami doesn't discriminate; he hates everyone!

Since my views are anti-gender roles and such, yeah, gender doesn't play much of a role in sizing up people.

I don't hate NTs, INFJs, ENFs, some STPs, and some SFPs.

Everyone else can go jump off a bridge. :)

I judge people on an individual basis. There are people that I like and that I prefer of many different types.

I've noticed some types tend to have greater gender differences than others, such as SJ types and types that use more Fe.

For instance, a male ESFJ might act VERY different than a female ESFJ.

Although I tend to like people of the same type regardless as well, there are some types where it really does make a lot of difference. And then, it also depends on the environment.

When comparing myself to INFJ females I know in real life I tend to hold back my emotions a bit more. Though I wish to express them better:) Being the way I am now I already get 'compliments' of acting girly from my friends, but I'm learning to care less of what others think.
Posted via Mobile Device

Right, Ookami doesn't discriminate; he hates everyone!

Since my views are anti-gender roles and such, yeah, gender doesn't play much of a role in sizing up people.
I'm with Slant on this one. I'm extremely against gender roles, so I don't think it affects people. Except perhaps in SJ types who are known for being "traditional." They might decide to play gender roles even if it's not who they feel they should be, just because they want to follow society's "rules." I've seen some SJs who definately don't fit their gender stereotype, yet they try so hard to make it seem like they do. I hate to see people limited like that. =\

SPs might be subconsciously influenced by them, but I don't see them caring very much about them. NTs would probably find them useless/"inefficient" and NFs are stereotypically more liberal and want people to be happy with who they are...

Of course, this is just using stereotypes again. -.-

I've seen stereotypes in action with types; an ENFJ girl is a lot different than an ENFJ guy, for instance. But, I think that might also have a lot to do with the environment, like I said -- I think the biggest difference lies in how MUCH gender is enforced, not just on whether or not it is.

I've seen stereotypes in action with types; an ENFJ girl is a lot different than an ENFJ guy, for instance. But, I think that might also have a lot to do with the environment, like I said -- I think the biggest difference lies in how MUCH gender is enforced, not just on whether or not it is.
That I can understand. Fe can be a double-edged sword for me. Some days I just want to give people a hug, but I know society usually doesn't condone that behavior in males, so I don't. It doesn't change that I want to do that, but it may have an influence on actions. I can't say whether or not I'd be different if I was female, since I never have been, but I can say I've definately felt that "overbearing presence" of society and its standards when pertaining to gender... So I think mentally they are "equal" (though of course, each individual is different) but gender stereotypes may influence them to act in certain ways.

Something to consider: Hormones play a major role as does environment and hormones *can* influence what you say and how you say things. Women tend to have less testosterone and men tend to have less estrogen - which, stereotypically, shows up in sports events and retail stores. Mind you, I tend to be an "atypical" female anyway, but I do recognize that I can act differently from an INFJ male, but I can't always blame society for this. In my household the male/female roles were reversed.

I think gender can play an additional role (physically we're different and stereotypically we can be different), so statistically speaking there will probably be some subtle differences. Not outside of type, but I think differences exist in small ways.

Still, I don't see a problem with this. This is debatable, though. Many don't share that option, and I'm not averse to other opinions.

Something to consider: Hormones play a major role as does environment and hormones *can* influence what you say and how you say things. Women tend to have less testosterone and men tend to have less estrogen - which, stereotypically, shows up in sports events and retail stores. Mind you, I tend to be an "atypical" female anyway, but I do recognize that I can act differently from an INFJ male, but I can't always blame society for this. In my household the male/female roles were reversed.

I think gender can play an additional role (physically we're different and stereotypically we can be different), so statistically speaking there will probably be some subtle differences. Not outside of type, but I think differences exist in small ways.

Still, I don't see a problem with this. This is debatable, though. Many don't share that option, and I'm not averse to other opinions.
Actually, I agree with this, on the simple terms that everyone is different. Of course every male INFJ will be different from every female INFJ, just as much as every male INFJ is different from each other male INFJ, and vice versa. Whether it's gender that determines these differences or not, I have to wonder, does it matter what makes us different?

Actually, I agree with this, on the simple terms that everyone is different. Of course every male INFJ will be different from every female INFJ, just as much as every male INFJ is different from each other male INFJ, and vice versa. Whether it's gender that determines these differences or not, I have to wonder, does it matter what makes us different?

It really doesn't matter at all - we just are different folks. The differences just add to the variety of who we are. But I wasn't asking to create a schism between the sexes; I was asking because I saw the diversity and wondered if others saw it, too. I *like* the diversity. The diversity doesn't make us less who we are, but it does add "flavor" to who we are.