F is fine tune to the feeling, T is fine tune to the value? | INFJ Forum

F is fine tune to the feeling, T is fine tune to the value?

andyinfjs

Nov 6, 2010
MBTI
INTP
Enneagram
No.5 Type
I find both F and T may make same decision or result with different process. it could be very interesting...
In general, F is good at dealing people-oriented affair like personal growth or just to make people feel happiness.
And T is good at compare which is more or which is less.
A person without a quite enough F couldn't really make a good use of T, and vice versa.
But T and F hardly to be used at the same time in some degree,
I mean,
To my personal experience, the T and F process are quite discrepancy.
When I F, I feel a feeling(warm,blue,soothing me or inspirit me etc.). But when I T, I am so calmed and has almost no affection(at this period I am good at calculation).
Any suggestion or new idea are welcome and appreciate.

Last edited:
I find both F and T may make same decision or result with different process. it could be very interesting...
In general, F is good at dealing people-oriented affair like personal growth or just to make people feel happiness.
And T is good at compare which is more or which is less.
A person without a quite enough F couldn't really make a good use of T, and vice versa.
But T and F hardly to be used at the same time in some degree,
I mean,
To my personal experience, the T and F process are quite discrepancy.
When I F, I feel a feeling. But when I T, I am so calmed and has almost no affection.
Any suggestion or new idea are welcome~!

Actually, a person who is especially well-rounded in their function use can use both T and F freely and almost equally. For instance, I have an ISTP friend and brother, who are both Ti dominant, yet when they both make a decision, they use almost a perfect balance of Ti and Fe/Fi to come to their choices (though the latter uses slightly more Te), and it works wonderfully. The ability to be impartial, yet tactful is a very wonderful trait to possess.

I'd say more that T is in fine tune to the idea.

Actually, a person who is especially well-rounded in their function use can use both T and F freely and almost equally. For instance, I have an ISTP friend and brother, who are both Ti dominant, yet when they both make a decision, they use almost a perfect balance of Ti and Fe/Fi to come to their choices (though the latter uses slightly more Te), and it works wonderfully. The ability to be impartial, yet tactful is a very wonderful trait to possess.

SO envy this trait since I am constatly good at Ti but not very good at F(Both Fi and Fe), although my F is much better than before(You couldn't believe how harsh I was,Sign..)
Now I believe practise make perfect. 
To practise F is both a necessary process in my life and it is also a HUGE pleasure source to my life, It make me feel my life is wonderful and lovely, this is why I come to talk with INFJs in this forum, You are my mentor in the garden of F.

I'd say more that T is in fine tune to the idea.

Idea is more accurate,
Value is more radical(You can try to compare the number's quantity(size) even those simple integer within 1,000 and you significant weaken your feeling and mood at this process)
And the weaken degree is not much related to the complexity of problem but the concentration you pay and the time you invested in it , the more you pay and invested the mood is more weaken.

And may the feeling and mood will distract you from compare and calculation(It hardly happens on me since I am always very good at compare but hardly has a feeling or mood in most of time)

Last edited:
Idea is more accurate,
Value is more radical(You can try to compare the number's quantity(size) even those simple integer within 1,000 and you significant weaken your feeling and mood at this process)
And the weaken degree is not much related to the complexity of problem but the concentration you pay and the time you invested in it , the more you pay and invested the mood is more weaken.

And may the feeling and mood will distract you from compare and calculation(It hardly happens on me since I am always very good at compare but hardly has a feeling or mood in most of time)
:shocked::shocked: ... spoken as a true INTP :w:

When I have to make a decision Fi and Te are always giving me input on the most valuable/inteligent option. What I choose depends on the topic, the importance of the decision and my mood. But I have experienced a lot of times that the Fi option looks stupid at first sight but turns out the best one for me in the end

When I have to make a decision Fi and Te are always giving me input on the most valuable/intelligent option. What I choose depends on the topic, the importance of the decision and my mood. But I have experienced a lot of times that the Fi option looks stupid at first sight but turns out the best one for me in the end

I believe that Fi is critical important function to any type since sometimes my Fi makes a more "comfortable" decision and it is turns out better than my "rational" decision :peace:

Last edited:

When I have to make a decision Fi and Te are always giving me input on the most valuable/inteligent option. What I choose depends on the topic, the importance of the decision and my mood. But I have experienced a lot of times that the Fi option looks stupid at first sight but turns out the best one for me in the end

[MENTION=1591]Morgain[/MENTION], Is following your Fi more following how you feel about something? Is it some kind of 'sense', almost like an intuition? Or perhaps a decision that comes to you without logical reason?

=/

If I decide something, it may be an instant thing, but there is almost always a logic that I can articulate behind it. But I'm curious as to what the experience of making decisions by Fi is like.

@Morgain, Is following your Fi more following how you feel about something? Is it some kind of 'sense', almost like an intuition? Or perhaps a decision that comes to you without logical reason?

=/

If I decide something, it may be an instant thing, but there is almost always a logic that I can articulate behind it. But I'm curious as to what the experience of making decisions by Fi is like.

Fi decisions do, in my experience, tend to be quite nebulous when it comes to the reasoning behind them. To quote from the description of Fi from Lifexplore:

It is often hard to put words to the values used to make introverted Feeling judgements since they are often associated with images and feeling-tones more than words.

SO envy this trait since I am constatly good at Ti but not very good at F(Both Fi and Fe), although my F is much better than before(You couldn't believe how harsh I was,Sign..)
Now I believe practise make perfect. 
To practise F is both a necessary process in my life and it is also a HUGE pleasure source to my life, It make me feel my life is wonderful and lovely, this is why I come to talk with INFJs in this forum, You are my mentor in the garden of F.

Urk, I envy it too. My Ti and Fe often get into fights with each other. I have not yet learned how to get them to work together very well yet. And certainly not fast enough for social situations.

The ability to be impartial, yet tactful is a very wonderful trait to possess.
Mmm, you said it! But, like andyinfjs said, practice makes perfect! ... I hope. ;)

[MENTION=1591]Morgain[/MENTION], Is following your Fi more following how you feel about something? Is it some kind of 'sense', almost like an intuition? Or perhaps a decision that comes to you without logical reason?

=/

Fi decisions to me are not based on how I feel about it. I mean it is not based on my emotions, my shallow whimsical emotions like fear or excitement. It is based on gut feeling and completely illogical. I don't know if you can call it intuition. It is not something I 'just know', it is like if I can feel in my gut that this option is "the right one", this option makes me feel good. Even though it can be illogical, it makes perfect sense to me.

Like when I was searching for a job I had two offers. One was the company where I always wanted to work but it was only temporarily. The other was also nice but not exactly what I wanted to do but the benefits where much better, the wage was negotiable and it was a fixed position. I made lists of pro's and con's and the second job really had more pro's and was the most logical decision. But I chose the first one because my gut said even though I could be jobless again in 6 months. Three years later I'ms till working in that company (with a fixed contract now) and it is really an amazing place to work! So it really was leap of faith (faith in my gut) and it turned out to be better than I could hope for.

I believe that Fi is critical important function to any type since sometimes my Fi makes a more "comfortable" decision and it is turns out better than my "rational" decision :peace:

exactly. And I'm always a bit afraid when I make the Fi decision because I feel obligated to make the most rational decision. Like I'm expected to make the rational decision and if the Fi option turns out to be a dumb one I think people will say "ofcourse it failed, it was not logical". So it is really a leap of faith. Someone said "you should walk your path, not someone elses" and I think that if I make my decisions based on Fi, on my gut, I will walk MY path. And it may not be logical or a good path to other people, but it will be the best path for me. Trust in yourself and all will be well...

Fi decisions to me are not based on how I feel about it. I mean it is not based on my emotions, my shallow whimsical emotions like fear or excitement. It is based on gut feeling and completely illogical. I don't know if you can call it intuition. It is not something I 'just know', it is like if I can feel in my gut that this option is "the right one", this option makes me feel good. Even though it can be illogical, it makes perfect sense to me.

Like when I was searching for a job I had two offers. One was the company where I always wanted to work but it was only temporarily. The other was also nice but not exactly what I wanted to do but the benefits where much better, the wage was negotiable and it was a fixed position. I made lists of pro's and con's and the second job really had more pro's and was the most logical decision. But I chose the first one because my gut said even though I could be jobless again in 6 months. Three years later I'ms till working in that company (with a fixed contract now) and it is really an amazing place to work! So it really was leap of faith (faith in my gut) and it turned out to be better than I could hope for.

=D Thanks.

Actually, this sounds very much like what I do, though for me it feels more like I'm just going 'on impulse'. It's actually not even always the 'right one', though I'll know in retrospect why I did it (eventually). I'm not even sure if it is Ti, because it's all about decisions on preferences.

Like the time I decided to switch colleges, I couldn't tell you why I decided to do it. I mean, I came up with reasons for the inquisitive, but really it was an inappropriately large solution to a set of minor problems. And, even if I can't say exactly what drove my decision, it's usually the case that more information means better decisions, or if I take time to consider more options that I'll find a better solution.

It's extremely clear here that the OP is a T type. I couldn't even follow the thought train....lol! I'm a T type with F & T nearly evenly balanced. But I would say that 99% of time I do not make decisions based on how either I feel about it or how someone else might feel about it. Why? Because I tend to think our subjective feelings on a subject really have very little to do with the situation and much more to do with our own internal stuff. So to my mind to make a decision based on someone's internal stuff doesn't produce the best or fairest outcome in that instance.

I use T to make decisions based on what's the best outcome for all in the given set of circumstances objectively. I find that decisions based on pure emotion are usually pretty poor ones, they might feel good in the short term but usually come back to bite me in the ass in no time at all. No thanks. I'd rather make good decisions that I find easy to live with in the long term.

Emotions cloud judgement and that's why I don't use them to make decisions that matter. So saying that I will often make decisions based on a mix of both gut feeling and information processing. Even if I can't see where a decision might lead but it makes sense on a gut level I will make it, prepared to live with the outcomes that result from it. Usually these decisions are good ones.

Last edited: