ENFP or ENFJ | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

ENFP or ENFJ

Somewhat. The difference between ENFP and ENFJ are quite drastic, as they are comprised of entirely different functions. I'm having trouble figuring out if I'm more of an INFJ or an ENFJ, who share the same functions, just in a different order. Just as I'm slightly more right brained than left, I'm pretty sure I'm slightly more INFJ than ENFJ. Anyone who knows me personally has mentioned that I don't have a whole lot in common with our mutual ENFP friends, or even our INFP friend. We think very 'backward' to one another.

Even with people who are both right and left brained, some start left and go right. Others start right and go left. Still others just go around in circles.

I think once you meet some real ENFJs, you'll understand just how different from yourself that they actually are. Here are a few motivational posters to exxagerate the differences, hehe.

View attachment 1478

View attachment 1479

thanks, but ill stick to what I think! I have all I need from this thread! thanks though

think everyone will come up with their own ideas and insights and im sure in general ENFJ's are very different from ENFP's but I believe in a intersection!

Last edited:
from what I've read nfps are less likely to feel a need to commit to one type

Personally I have found in my experience that every single NF is different from each other. ENFP is different than ENFJ is different than INFP is different than INFJ.

That said I have had a special connection with each one, finding I think alike and differently from all of them. The relationships with the least friction for me are ENFP/INFJ. This is why I find it surprising that some INFJs here don't get along with ENFPs. Of course everyone is different.

I personally don't believe there is any more connection because of the shared J or shared P as some have stated.

I find that at first, people notice the J and think they are similar. ENFJ and INFJ notice they are similar, just as ENFP and ENFJ notice they share the ENFJ. That said, I find that as the relationship deepens, ENFJ and INFJ notice a large difference in one another, as do ENFP and INFP. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, but I think it comes up over time. The ENFJ/INFP and ENFP/INFJ relationship is more straightforward in regards to this. They are either going to love or hate each other pretty much right away from my experience, though I think as the relationship deepens they start to notice more and more unexpected similarities. This is a large generalization but certainly something I have noticed.

However, I am way off topic here, Smiffy, what do you think you are.

You mentioned:

no one is going to fit any one type perfectly. The human mind is too dynamic and adaptive. Everyone will have elements of other types available to them.

Cognitive function preference indicates how we reflexively think, not how well we can think, nor what we think about.

"I like this statement! nice and open ended!
"

ENFP? Clearly you are very close to the J/P border, but if you HAD to choose, if this monkey was holding a gun to your head :m034: (Ok, so it's a party confetti toy, but it does shoot) what would you choose.

You can say both if you want too, but most balanced people will fall to one side or the other. It will be very rare to be equally J/P just as it is very rare to be ambidextrous. Most people who claim ambidexterity are actually what is referred to as "mixed handedness" meaning some things with the left some things with the right. True ambidexterity is using both hands equally well at everything. In the same way, true J/P balance (or ENFX) means that you have to use both equally well and equal amount of the time. Of course, this has to be rare because it is only 1 point on the scale X is dead center and EVERYTHING left is P and EVERYTHING right is J. So J and P comprise much more than X as far as the MBTI system is concerned.

P----------X----------J

(BTW, X is not in actually MBTI theory, but it is becoming more accepted among MBTI proponents.)

Hopefully that all came out right (or is it left?).

Last edited:
ST gives me the shivers!!

why does ENFJ matter?

I am envious of the stay in the moment S and the logical T, but I still think your a N in disguise! nothing to back that up, just a hunch! and I'm probably wrong

Me? an INTP? Hahaha. The INTPs shun me.

But yeah, ENFPs love me so you must be an ENFJ

Me? an INTP? Hahaha. The INTPs shun me.

But yeah, ENFPs love me so you must be an ENFJ

unfortunately I think Im more of an ENFP!!! damn! I'm too random to be an ENFJ, was actually out with two ENFP's tonight, and they were alot more scattered brain than I am! just shows you we all dont live up to the stereotype!

Personally I have found in my experience that every single NF is different from each other. ENFP is different than ENFJ is different than INFP is different than INFJ.

That said I have had a special connection with each one, finding I think alike and differently from all of them. The relationships with the least friction for me are ENFP/INFJ. This is why I find it surprising that some INFJs here don't get along with ENFPs. Of course everyone is different.

I personally don't believe there is any more connection because of the shared J or shared P as some have stated.

I find that at first, people notice the J and think they are similar. ENFJ and INFJ notice they are similar, just as ENFP and ENFJ notice they share the ENFJ. That said, I find that as the relationship deepens, ENFJ and INFJ notice a large difference in one another, as do ENFP and INFP. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, but I think it comes up over time. The ENFJ/INFP and ENFP/INFJ relationship is more straightforward in regards to this. They are either going to love or hate each other pretty much right away from my experience, though I think as the relationship deepens they start to notice more and more unexpected similarities. This is a large generalization but certainly something I have noticed.

However, I am way off topic here, Smiffy, what do you think you are.

You mentioned:

no one is going to fit any one type perfectly. The human mind is too dynamic and adaptive. Everyone will have elements of other types available to them.

Cognitive function preference indicates how we reflexively think, not how well we can think, nor what we think about.

"I like this statement! nice and open ended!
"

ENFP? Clearly you are very close to the J/P border, but if you HAD to choose, if this monkey was holding a gun to your head :m034: (Ok, so it's a party confetti toy, but it does shoot) what would you choose.

You can say both if you want too, but most balanced people will fall to one side or the other. It will be very rare to be equally J/P just as it is very rare to be ambidextrous. Most people who claim ambidexterity are actually what is referred to as "mixed handedness" meaning some things with the left some things with the right. True ambidexterity is using both hands equally well at everything. In the same way, true J/P balance (or ENFX) means that you have to use both equally well and equal amount of the time. Of course, this has to be rare because it is only 1 point on the scale X is dead center and EVERYTHING left is P and EVERYTHING right is J. So J and P comprise much more than X as far as the MBTI system is concerned.

P----------X----------J

(BTW, X is not in actually MBTI theory, but it is becoming more accepted among MBTI proponents.)

Hopefully that all came out right (or is it left?).

ok put the monkey gun down!!

yeah I'm an ENFP! bottom line but I'm not what I would call polar ENFP. My P and J functions are well balanced.

unfortunately I think Im more of an ENFP!!! damn! I'm too random to be an ENFJ, was actually out with two ENFP's tonight, and they were alot more scattered brain than I am! just shows you we all dont live up to the stereotype!
thats a lie.

no enfp fails this test.

you love me.

admit it.

ENFPs love me and lesbians hate me.

yeah I'm an ENFP! bottom line but I'm not what I would call polar ENFP. My P and J functions are well balanced.

This means your Ne, Fi, and likely Te are well developed. Ne is your P function, but Fi and Te are your J functions. If they equal or even excede the weight of your Ne, that would cause your J and P confusion.

An ENFP with a strong Te can certainly appear to have a J streak. It's Te that gives STJs and NTJs their J. And it is very likely that this is the stage in your life when you're going to develop a lot more of it.

I know about a dozen ENFPs personally. All of them are the fun loving ENFP types, but most of them are more random and comedically eradic. However, two of them also have a strong Te, and they are very assertive in life when they need to be, despite being very playful when they can.

Anytime someone is ambiguous about their MBTI, due to having a borderline axis, they're usually very well developed cognitively. In your case, it sounds like you've got at least 3 of your main functions developed. In other words, you're better developed than the other ENFPs you were hanging around with. You're a very good ENFP.

This means your Ne, Fi, and likely Te are well developed. Ne is your P function, but Fi and Te are your J functions. If they equal or even excede the weight of your Ne, that would cause your J and P confusion.

An ENFP with a strong Te can certainly appear to have a J streak. It's Te that gives STJs and NTJs their J. And it is very likely that this is the stage in your life when you're going to develop a lot more of it.

I know about a dozen ENFPs personally. All of them are the fun loving ENFP types, but most of them are more random and comedically eradic. However, two of them also have a strong Te, and they are very assertive in life when they need to be, despite being very playful when they can.

Anytime someone is ambiguous about their MBTI, due to having a borderline axis, they're usually very well developed cognitively. In your case, it sounds like you've got at least 3 of your main functions developed. In other words, you're better developed than the other ENFPs you were hanging around with. You're a very good ENFP.

cool! my ego has gotten a good boost this week, that makes sense, sometimes i'm very logical and aware of deadlines and effects of my actions. But I also have the ENFP silly switch and a wild imagination! thanks

main functions I get now! definitely use extraverted intuition over extraverted feeling, and I like using the intraverted feeling function! I can sometimes read people like books after 10mins and have a good idea about how they will react, havent said that I do get them wrong!

Yeah it makes sense, I dont like being bossy but do it because my life demands its, I have alot of highly perceiving friends and I'm the most organised out of the bunch!

oh yeah have you figured out if your an ENFJ or INFJ yet?

oh yeah well I go up with nothing but sensors and dry humour! so think they rubbed off on me! so I probably to people that dont know me come across as an ESXX

Last edited: