Emotional Sensitivity or Over Sensitivity | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Emotional Sensitivity or Over Sensitivity

i found ran across this paragraph in a book called "community and growth" by jean vanier. it changed my life...

Some people find it hard to live with others. They need a lot of time to themselves, a great sense of freedom and above all, no tensions. They simply must not feel under pressure; if they do they will become depressed or aggressive. These people are often very sensitive and delicate; they have almost too great a richness of heart. They could not cope with the difficulties of community life. They are called rather to live alone or with a few privileged friends. They must not be made to think that because community life is not for them they have no place, gift or vocation. Their gift is different. They are called to be witnesses to love in another way. And they find a certain community life with friends and groups, with whom they meet regularly.
I should probably plan on staying single for the rest of my life.
It's just that I get lonely sometimes and want someone to talk to.

i found ran across this paragraph in a book called "community and growth" by jean vanier. it changed my life...

Some people find it hard to live with others. They need a lot of time to themselves, a great sense of freedom and above all, no tensions. They simply must not feel under pressure; if they do they will become depressed or aggressive. These people are often very sensitive and delicate; they have almost too great a richness of heart. They could not cope with the difficulties of community life. They are called rather to live alone or with a few privileged friends. They must not be made to think that because community life is not for them they have no place, gift or vocation. Their gift is different. They are called to be witnesses to love in another way. And they find a certain community life with friends and groups, with whom they meet regularly.

...same here, I felt a stiring in my heart that moved me when I read it... like honoring the sensitive type. nice

Last edited:
i'm not overly sensitive but i am pretty sensitive, but it does not have these negative effects on me, there are exceptions. but i used to be overly sensitive in the past and i don't think it was very healthy for me.

How many of you struggle with oversensitivity and how do you handle it? ...
I used to be extremely over-sensitive when I was young, but it was because of emotional wounds and rejection from my childhood. As I was healed of the wounds and rejections, the over-sensitivity gradually lessened.

The way I healed... in a nutshell... was to face the pain of what was done to me, and to forgive those who had hurt me. It was very hard, but it was worth it.

To be very frank, I only became emotionally balanced in this area less than 2 years ago. It's been a long, hard road. I had some roadblocks. I would think others might not have to live so long with crippling emotional problems. The time-consuming part comes as incidents pop into mind that have not been thought about in a long time. I've read that you only begin to heal emotionally when you are in an emotionally "safe" place in your life. I guess it all takes time.

I used to be extremely over-sensitive when I was young, but it was because of emotional wounds and rejection from my childhood. As I was healed of the wounds and rejections, the over-sensitivity gradually lessened.

The way I healed... in a nutshell... was to face the pain of what was done to me, and to forgive those who had hurt me. It was very hard, but it was worth it.

To be very frank, I only became emotionally balanced in this area less than 2 years ago. It's been a long, hard road. I had some roadblocks. I would think others might not have to live so long with crippling emotional problems. The time-consuming part comes as incidents pop into mind that have not been thought about in a long time. I've read that you only begin to heal emotionally when you are in an emotionally "safe" place in your life. I guess it all takes time.

I agree with only being safe to heal when yr in an emotionally safe place in yr life. I am not there yet, but every day, I wish and hope for life to improve around me so that I don't have to be brimming with pain anymore.

Reactions: INTJMom
I suffered from very bad tactile defensiveness when I was younger, and now I suffer from a bit of sensory defensiveness as well. I have a very exaggerated startle reflex and loud noises cause me a notable amount of discomfort. My skin is also sensitive, and so is my stomach.
As far as being emotionally sensitive? Bingo! The slightest perceived criticism (which sometimes isn't really criticism at all) can have me in tears in a nanosecond.
Sigh.:m167:

Reactions: Top cat
Thank you, Restraint, that was very interesting. Now I know why I don't get muscle mass when working out (that's just great - I'm a walking pack of neurons) :p

As for watching accidents I usually avoid the sites because of the emotional atmosphere there. If you're very sensitive to pain, wouldn't it make more sense to try and get away rather than just stare at it?

I remember feeling such a strong emotional charge in the air when visiting memorial site in Hiroshima a few years ago that I could not stop crying for some 15 minutes.

Some people find it hard to live with others. They need a lot of time to themselves, a great sense of freedom and above all, no tensions.

That sounds like others should be tiptoeing around me and that is not fair. I am able to deal with problems and tensions. All I need in return is for others to be considerate of who I am instead of trying to make me more like themselves.

I am a HSP. I hate it.

And I love it. The advantages surpass the drawbacks by a mile.

Last edited:
Are you slim or your body is smaller in size than peers? (The Ectomorph body type, 99% of the time very sensitive)

interesting.. i am the only one in my family who is an ectomorph
still, even after a past incident when i had some stress-related weight gain

I am classified as a Highly Sensitive Person by one of the online tests, but only slightly.

you just grew out of it?

i never noticed mine till i went to live on my own. i guess i had a pretty sedate childhood.

Reactions: Stellar Affinity
Yes this is me. I am able to suppress it externally. I can't suppress it from myself though (I.E. I still feel everything).

you took the words right out of my mouth!

i never noticed mine till i went to live on my own. i guess i had a pretty sedate childhood.

Actually, i became more conscious of it when i moved on my own for a period of time.

I am emotional sensitive person. Sometimes i become Highly sensitive person. I dont know. Or sometimes i become senseless, I don't care myself. This way.