Economic Holocaust | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

Economic Holocaust

How so?

Sounds like a reactive response stemming from the psych of "I don't like what you have to say, ur gunna die firthst"

Not at all, I in fact think cannibalism would be a rational response if society and the environment got bad enough. But that is an extreme, and cannibalism isn't healthy neither.

However, your OP is about an economic collapse... I've never heard of "economic holocaust" and it sounds counter intuitive on a basic human psychological level: I assume you believe that if the economy falls apart, people will immediate resort to murdering each other en masse, which completely goes against our very nature of coming together as a society on micro and macro levels (families/clans and villages/towns, for example). America has survived the Great Depression before as well.

So, you will need to give more details to this hypothetical situation because it is not defined.

Not at all, I in fact think cannibalism would be a rational response if society and the environment got bad enough. But that is an extreme, and cannibalism isn't healthy neither.

However, your OP is about an economic collapse... I've never heard of "economic holocaust" and it sounds counter intuitive on a basic human psychological level: I assume you believe that if the economy falls apart, people will immediate resort to murdering each other en masse, which completely goes against our very nature of coming together as a society on micro and macro levels (families/clans and villages/towns, for example). America has survived the Great Depression before as well.

So, you will need to give more details to this hypothetical situation because it is not defined.

Good point Horatio,
Holocaust: destruction or slaughter on a mass scale, especially caused by fire or nuclear war..... of the economy? Who's destroying it and if you know, why wouldn't you do something about it?

Last edited:
I assumed @Ryso89 meant 'Economic Armageddon', or 'Economic Apocalypse', or something like that. ((shrugs)) Unless he was referring to a certain group of people destroying the economy... which could happen, too, and sort of is.

Reactions: Milktoast Bandit
If it’s economic then we should be fine here.
If it’s some other kind of destruction...like a nuclear winter...why would you WANT to survive?
For what purpose other than to not be dead cause you’re scared of dying?
Yea! More suffering and cannibals!
What are you surviving for?
To rebuild humanity with some conveniently hot chick that also survives?
Will never happen.
Haven’t you read “The Road”?
lol

BTW- @the Most Mormons are directed by their religion to keep an emergency supply of food and water to last them for months.
Just keep a map of them.

@Skarekrow – LOL!
Gen X never expected to survive. We grew up under nuclear threat. You know that. We probably wouldn't have been a generation of slackers had we expected to live and actually need to make plans for our futures.

I am not expecting to reproduce with a conveniently hot chick and save all of humanity. If we did pull this off it would be the dawn of a new species of humans, so that would be rad!

The Road - Honestly, I hated that book. It read like every cliche trope in a 1980s punk song. Yawn.

I don't know why whatever we are hoping to survive has to be so extreme. Storms can strand people for days, weeks or months. The current political climate could get worse and make it unsafe to travel due to unrest, or a depression could happen again....

Last edited:
@Skarekrow – LOL!
Gen X never expected to survive. We grew up under nuclear threat. You know that. We probably wouldn't have bee na generation of slackers had we expected to live and actually need to make plans for our futures.

I am not expecting to reproduce with a conveniently hot chick and save all of humanity. If we did pull this off it would be the dawn of a new species of humans, so that would be rad!

The Road - Honestly, I hated that book. It read like every cliche trope in a 1980s punk song. Yawn.

I don't know why whatever we are hoping to survive has to be so extreme. Storms can strand people for days, weeks or months. The current political climate could get worse and make it unsafe to travel due to unrest, or a depression could happen again....

Hey...Red Dawn was a good movie....(when you are 12).
lol
They totally ruined the remake...N. Korea invading...please.
Yeah, the book was totally depressing...for more good time - fun apocalyptic books I recommend “Good Omens”, and “Machine of Death”...they are a good laugh anyhow.
“The Road” was only made worse by Vigo Morganwhateverhisnameis in the movie.
The book is like almost all dialogue in his head...why they bothered is beyond me.

No, there is nothing wrong with being prepared in case of such things and events...I’m not advocating that people commit suicide the next time there is a heavy rain...lol.
It’s good to keep a supply of emergency food and water, a crank radio, a retractable baton, etc.
But in those extreme world-wide destruction type scenarios, probably not worth the suffering only to inevitably die in the long run.
(Unless the aliens come down and intervene, whisking us away to a planet far far away, where we will learn the Scientologists were right all along...damn)

Last edited:
Reactions: Asa
@Skarekrow - Damn, even in the best case scenario we are screwed. We'd all be trapped in a real life 'Battlefield Earth'.

Reactions: Skarekrow
@Skarekrow - Damn, even in the best case scenario we are screwed. We'd all be trapped in a real life 'Battlefield Earth'.
200.gif

Reactions: Asa and acd
At moments like these I really, really wish the forum had like/love/laugh/sad responses, because this is hilarious. A like doesn't suffice. :p

Reactions: Skarekrow and acd
@Skarekrow – LOL!
Gen X never expected to survive. We grew up under nuclear threat. You know that. We probably wouldn't have been a generation of slackers had we expected to live and actually need to make plans for our futures.

Generation of slackers? Nothing compared to the millennials who think you owe them just because they are alive.
Anyway I'm gen x and certainly not a slacker.

@Eventhorizon - I didn't know your age! I'm Gen X and not a slacker, either, but definitely lived life on my own terms because the threat of Nuclear War was drilled into my head. Some of my peers have confessed to not even bothering to set goals or make career plans (until their 30s) because they thought we'd all be dead.

Reactions: Eventhorizon
@Eventhorizon - I didn't know your age! I'm Gen X and not a slacker, either, but definitely lived life on my own terms because the threat of Nuclear War was drilled into my head. Some of my peers have confessed to not even bothering to set goals or make career plans (until their 30s) because they thought we'd all be dead.
Maybe that's what's wrong with me.

Generation of slackers? Nothing compared to the millennials who think you owe them just because they are alive.
Anyway I'm gen x and certainly not a slacker.

But what about the millennials whose parents lose jobs, home, etc. during the recession?

It irritates the hell out of me when blanket assumptions are made about a groups of people based on their birth date.

Reactions: Eventhorizon
It irritates the hell out of me when blanket assumptions are made about a groups of people based on their birth date.

I could not agree more. I equate this kind of pigeonholing to the average intelligence of racism. They are like animals who throws feces when they get angry. Stupid, primitive.

On topic. The plight of this thread is to awaken the relatively unaware population about the dangers of your cozy grid life. You have many unforeseen and imminent threats that could occur at any moment. Solar flares, earthquakes, the looming eruption of Yellowstone, asteroids, yada yada. Are you prepared for even so much as a small scale grid collapse? Days, weeks, months? You do not know what will happen; and to rely on others is a fool's errand.

If you're looking at this from the wide angle of "which scenario are you talking about", then you're looking at it all wrong. It is the philosophy that is important: self sustainability, and the will to improvise, adapt, and overcome. How will you take matters into your own hands, to protect yourself / loved ones? These are questions that must be entertained by you, for you. Do your own research, question, make plans, and prepare for your own specific needs.

Last edited:
But what about the millennials whose parents lose jobs, home, etc. during the recession?

It's not their birth date and it's not entirely their fault. They have had ANY number of teachers telling them how they should live their lives absent the reality of the real world.
Unfortunately that is in line with a specific time line.

At moments like these I really, really wish the forum had like/love/laugh/sad responses, because this is hilarious. A like doesn't suffice. :p

If I was an established INFJ poster, I would start a thread along the lines of..."I feel invalidated when I cannot find an emoji that isn't hugging or dancing!" or, "I have panic attacks in crowds: I'm suing the admin over offensive content!" or "WTF is up with monkeys?"

Subtlety is lacking, methinks!

If it’s economic then we should be fine here.
If it’s some other kind of destruction...like a nuclear winter...why would you WANT to survive?
For what purpose other than to not be dead cause you’re scared of dying?
Yea! More suffering and cannibals!
What are you surviving for?
To rebuild humanity with some conveniently hot chick that also survives?
Will never happen.
Haven’t you read “The Road”?
lol

BTW- @the Most Mormons are directed by their religion to keep an emergency supply of food and water to last them for months.
Just keep a map of them.

More interesting would be A Boy and his Dog.

Reactions: Skarekrow
It's not their birth date and it's not entirely their fault. They have had ANY number of teachers telling them how they should live their lives absent the reality of the real world.
Unfortunately that is in line with a specific time line.

:worried:

My husband (INTJ) is very into survivalist preparation for doom scenarios. He's a bit extreme about it.
We have all the regular survival supplies because we live in a rural area, and losing power and having the roads blocked due to storms isn't that unusual, though our doom scenario supplies weren't much different when we lived in the city.
We have water, MRTE, a pantry full of dry and canned good (including pet food and supplies), a generator, cords of firewood (and two wood stoves in our house), a stream on our property (and water filter system) for when we run out of electric/generator power and can't use the well. We have a veggie garden, and I pickle/jar/ferment/dehydrate food. We have ample first aid supplies. We own guns and other weapons. We're both trained in martial arts and first aid.
We should brew our own beer again..... He'd need that.
He could hunt if he needs to, but I'd seriously rather die than eat meat... though the first part of the brain to "shut off" during starvation is ethics, so who knows what I would eat. (I joke, but seriously....)

We also try to learn as many skills as possible.

Money is a scary issue. We try not to rely on "the system", but in certain circumstances, we must. We're trying to set ourselves up to have minimal ties to big financial institutions.

TBH, 'camping' to me is staying in a cottage with plumbing and electric, so I wouldn't like living in survival mode, but I can.
Mine too. It's not like an "end of times." It's more like it's not that wild or far out to think at some point we may have a terrorist attack on our electrical grid, a small nuclear attack (yeah, that sounds like an oxymoron, I know), whatever. It may not be the end of life as we know it, but no cash flowing, stores will empty fast, all that shit. Why not be ready with something to barter (cash or gold or whatever), water and some food? I mean it's not that far out.