Economic Holocaust | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Economic Holocaust

@Wonky Oracle
When bad winter storms hit people can be without power for weeks or months, so it is important to keep some supplies stocked.

Also, forgot to mention an important item: A grill!
My dad was able to cook during an ice storm that cut power for many weeks because he had a grill.

@acd,
I'm sorry. :( During months with really bad weather is there any way to stock up? Not sure of your illness. I know some medication (like insulin) relies on climate control.

Reactions: Milktoast Bandit
I have made no preparations other than in my mind. When SHTF I'm going to bash heads with a baseball bat until the electricity comes back on a few hours later... after that, I'll probably be in prison so I'll be safe.

Reactions: acd
I have made no preparations other than in my mind. When SHTF I'm going to bash heads with a baseball bat until the electricity comes back on a few hours later... after that, I'll probably be in prison so I'll be safe.
Not much of a plan. In this scenario you'll never see prison. The good news though is that your suffering will be short lived.
To be blunt about it.

Not much of a plan. In this scenario you'll never see prison. The good news though is that your suffering will be short lived.
To be blunt about it.
Never underestimate the fool...

I survived a whole winter with no heat and no plumbing, living off scraps and dollar store food.

If I have a knife I'll probably be fine.
My friend showed me a video of a guy who ate a dead baby rat whole. Just swallowed it and washed it down with some beer.
I thiknk you'll be fine too.

@Wonky Oracle
When bad winter storms hit people can be without power for weeks or months, so it is important to keep some supplies stocked.
This is very true and sensible but we're talking '' Holocaust '' of the economic variety. To the point where people are being eaten by one another.

On a more down to earth level though, I think people could benefit from being a little more prepared, like you say. There is a higher chance of us dying in a house fire than there is living through a Mad Max style apocalypse. Yet how many of us have Fire extinguishers? How many of us have our cars properly kitted out for more likely scenarios?

The skills learned in prepping and surviving are good skills to have and surely come in handy in places where natural disasters are annual.

I will praise anyone who is responsible and forward thinking like that, someone who chooses to get by themselves and not lean on the government etc, but there are those who need society, civilisation. I couldn't imagine living my life with such a lack of faith in society 24/7.

Personally, I would rather invest in science, education, medicine than a doomsday scenario that will most likely never happen in our life time.

As my good friend and colleague @Horatio said, Human beings have a solid track record when it comes to crisis. We come together and pull through. We need to remember that before we start contemplating eating each other.

Just my opinion of course.

This is very true and sensible but we're talking '' Holocaust '' of the economic variety. To the point where people are being eaten by one another.

On a more down to earth level though, I think people could benefit from being a little more prepared, like you say. There is a higher chance of us dying in a house fire than there is living through a Mad Max style apocalypse. Yet how many of us have Fire extinguishers? How many of us have our cars properly kitted out for more likely scenarios?

The skills learned in prepping and surviving are good skills to have and surely come in handy in places where natural disasters are annual.

I will praise anyone who is responsible and forward thinking like that, someone who chooses to get by themselves and not lean on the government etc, but there are those who need society, civilisation. I couldn't imagine living my life with such a lack of faith in society 24/7.

Personally, I would rather invest in science, education, medicine than a doomsday scenario that will most likely never happen in our life time.

As my good friend and colleague @Horatio said, Human beings have a solid track record when it comes to crisis. We come together and pull through. We need to remember that before we start contemplating eating each other.

Just my opinion of course.
Indoor agree with that solid track record. That only applies when resources are not stretched thin. The second they are you can throw that attitude out the window.

But seriously though I'd probably go fishing. We used to catch dinner out of the Detroit river with fishing line wrapped around a soup can.
There are a lot of ways you can survive outside of eating human flesh (extremely risky for very little nutritional benefit, anyway) and looting and battling other looters.... There are certain types of tree bark (such as some pine) that is edible that provide a good source of carbohydrates and protein and vitamins, for example. Jesus if you had to eat bugs that's better than the violent alternatives..

I think you added that bit about eating human flesh after I liked the post.
Hunger can do odd things to a person but I believe at this time I would find a way to die before it came to that.

So, you would abandon your need to survive, simply because you can't overcome the psychological disgust?

The reality is that most people would not be able to adapt, and would die because they can't overcome such a scenario. That's not really in my DNA, however. To each his own, but yes, real hunger is primitive and ravenous.