Economic Holocaust | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Economic Holocaust

So, you would abandon your need to survive, simply because you can't overcome the psychological disgust?

The reality is that most people would not be able to adapt, and would die because they can't overcome such a scenario. That's not really in my DNA, however. To each his own, but yes, real hunger is primitive and ravenous.
I don't know. I hope I am never so hungry where I seriously have to make the choice.

So, you would abandon your need to survive, simply because you can't overcome the psychological disgust?

The reality is that most people would not be able to adapt, and would die because they can't overcome such a scenario. That's not really in my DNA, however. To each his own, but yes, real hunger is primitive and ravenous.
Why not learn how to hunt and fish and forage? If you are fixated on surviving the collapse of civilization, I'd start learning some actual skills. Most primitive people didn't eat each other.

Why not learn how to hunt and fish and forage? Most primitive people didn't eat each other.
I think the assumption is all other prospects for food have not panned out at that point. At least I hope...

Why not learn how to hunt and fish and forage? Most primitive people didn't eat each other.

Exactly. The "eating human flesh" was a jump ahead of conversation. When humanity enters the remote sections of the American wilderness, they will drive up scarcity of other wildlife for that exact reason.

And yes, many species (including human) have practiced cannibalism. It's ancient. But I'm not just going to dig in to the flesh of someone I've just killed for sport, hell no. My point is clear though, I would hope.

However, my deep seeded mistrust of all human beings drives me to be an absolute loner in such a scenario.

Exactly. The "eating human flesh" was a jump ahead of conversation. When humanity enters the remote sections of the American wilderness, they will drive up scarcity of other wildlife for that exact reason.

And yes, many species (including human) have practiced cannibalism. It's ancient.
Do you think maybe people will form into tribes at that point and work and live together? Maybe they will fight over territory if they aren't spread out far enough, but for the most part, people tend to band together. There is a lot of survival value in doing so. I don't think there will be scarcity in wildlife. It's pretty abundant.

You're really on a cannibalism kick. What makes you think that will be easier or safer or healthier than what I otherwise suggested?

Reactions: Milktoast Bandit
Well first we have to figure out what type of global catastrophe has taken place. Because an economic Holocaust is pretty vague...
Money has no value.
Result, there's no reason for major...anything to supply the population. This includes grocery stores. The ability to get food now lay with what's available to the local population and all those who want that same resource.

Money has no value.
Result, there's no reason for major...anything to supply the population. This includes grocery stores. The ability to get food now lay with what's available to the local population and all those who want that same resource.
Think Venezuela. @acd

Do you think maybe people will form into tribes at that point and work and live together? Maybe they will fight over territory if they aren't spread out far enough, but for the most part, people tend to band together. There is a lot of survival value in doing so.

You're really on a cannibalism kick. What makes you think that will be easier or safer or healthier than what I otherwise suggested?

Absolutely. The first part.

The cannibalism thing; to adapt to the extreme, you must think extreme, and pursue those thoughts that scare you. I would think most INFJs would understand this mentality, because overcoming negative or scary things in the world has been a habit of mine since I was very young. I understand this is a heavy topic to discuss, but I brought it here for attention for this very reason, to engage your minds to be ready and to entertain what must be entertained before such a collapse were to happen.

Well first we have to figure out what type of global catastrophe has taken place. Because an economic Holocaust is pretty vague...

Awesome point. It's hard to pinpoint a "start" to cover the breadth of this whole topic...

Martial Law?

'We’re living in the end of times': Starving Venezuelans giving away children to survive
'This is written in the bible' says starving mum-of-seven who gave daughter to neighbour
venez1.jpg

Zulay Pulgar in a coffee shop with her four-year-old son Emmanuel Carlos Garcia Rawlins/Reuters
Venezuelan parents are giving up their children to survive as the South American country’s suffers with a catastrophic economic crisis.

Three local councils and four national welfare groups say there is an increase in parents handing kids over to the state, charities, friends and family.

A baby boy was recently found abandoned inside a bag in capital Caracas and a malnourished one-year-old boy was found in a cardboard box in Ciudad Guayana in recent months.

Bank workers count 100 Bolivares bills, in Caracas, Venezuela, amid the economic crisis EPA
The trend is an indictment of Venezuela's triple-digit inflation and near 80 per cent currency collapse over the last year.

“This is written in the bible. We’re living in the end of times,” said Zulay Pulgar, who gave her six-year-old daughter to a neighbour in October. “It’s better that she has another family than go into prostitution, drugs or die of hunger.”

Violent protests erupt in Venezuela against President Maduro
The mother-of-seven and her unemployed husband live on his father’s $6-a-month pension.

The 43-year-old told the Reuters news agency that one chicken meal costs half their monthly income. All they eat is bread, coffee and rice, she said.

Nany Garcia, the 54-year-old neighbour who took the girl in, works in a grocery shop and has five children of her own.

“My husband, my children and I teach her to behave, how to study, to dress, to talk… She now calls me ‘mum’ and my husband ‘dad’,” she said.

I keep tabs on various preppers and have a pretty comprehensive list of who supposedly has what, and where they are located. When worst comes to worst I will be taking the prepper's stuff.

I mean they post their resources on FB for christsakes, of course I am going to live out my Fallout fantasy.

I keep tabs on various preppers and have a pretty comprehensive list of who supposedly has what, and where they are located. When worst comes to worst I will be taking the prepper's stuff.

I mean they post their resources on FB for christsakes, of course I am going to live out my Fallout fantasy.
I'll bash some heads for a share of your earnings.

@Wonky Oracle - You're right about every day events. We have a bunch of fire extinguishers. My SO is just like that. We honestly just have all our stuff in case there is bad storm.

During my 20s, I heard an interview w/ an 80+ yr old and she talked about common skills people knew during her generation and those generations before her, and how these skills are a lost art with younger generations. People buy everything they need now, and no longer know how to make it, or grow it. I decided to make a point of learning and practicing these kinds of skills. It is also easier to live a generous life if you make jams, pickles, beer, etc, or grow veggies, because there is always extra, and people really appreciate receiving these kinds of gifts.

@acd - I really want to take a class to learn about edible wild plants. I'm terrified of eating wild mushrooms, though.

@Milktoast Bandit - It's called "long pork", dude! Jeesh.

@Asa I don't know that I'd trust myself with proper IDing to eat wild mushrooms.... Plus they aren't really that nutritious anyway. A lot of very poisonous ones look like edible mushrooms. (destroying angels vs edible button mushrooms.) That's definitely one food I trust to find at the grocery store otherwise I'd go without.

I know people who do forage mushrooms and are OK, but I once met a family who ate the wrong kind and got very ill. Luckily, they were all hospitalized and survived but that story sticks with me.

Last edited: