[INFJ] - Easily offended | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] Easily offended

I see it as being one of two sides of the same coin with toxic positivity as a tool of social control to make others shut up and not talk of real issues regardless of what they are coupled with individuals of low emotional capacity shutting others down.
It's one thing for the offended to be bereft of validation of their feelings due to another's lack of emotional intelligence, and quite another for those who've offended to acknowlege the wrong they've done, but be boxed in to being unable to do anything or resolve it. Some people are content to wallow in despair and be miserable, no matter what you say or do to help them. Personal responsibility isn't just on those who offend. If there is any hope of being able to connect with or understand others, it falls on both sides to be willing.

It’s vague on purpose, to talk about it philosophically. I don’t have a specific example for you. I just thought of the topic and thought it’d be a good discussion to have. If the vagueness makes you lose interest, I’m sorry. I do realize that makes it lose it’s appeal to some
I think that's a cop out. You've mentioned bullying and jokes which aren't really philosophical things.

Sorry I can't help it but I'm curious to know what specifically prompted this thread. It's all kind of vague here. We could all be talking about different things. People are too sensitive about what these days? OP started with kids speaking out and parents backing them up when they feel they are being bullied. What would you consider an overexaggeration of bullying, @lostinthisworld ?
There were many posts by the OP regarding different forms, which is why I think there is some vagueness in some of the responses.

There were many posts by the OP regarding different forms, which is why I think there is some vagueness in some of the responses.

This is what I'm curious about:

the easily offended are taking offense in situations where none should have been taken.

I'm curious about what situations people should not be offended about. If it's really such a big societal problem, we should have examples to discuss.

i am defiantly a prime example of such but when all a person wants to do is help others and is consistently shit on and taking advantage of , misunderstood ,steped over by society because of social standings or upbringing , tends to boil in ones belly and mind until full . releasing all that crap is a trick in its self . which was why i was excited to find this forum . i thought i finally found people that would get me . im afraid i might have been wrong again . back inside i go .
I'm sorry that your experience has not been a good one on the forum thus far. There are some very strong personalities here (I'm likely one of them admittingly), so it is understandable, but I hope you'll give it a chance. There are some wonderful people here overall. Sometimes, sticking to the threads which you know won't provoke a reaction from you, is a good start. People often forget they choose where to look and comment here. That said, you belong here just as much as anyone else. If anyone said otherwise, they are wrong. Be yourself, use your voice unabashedly, and you will find those who are true.

<3

This is what I'm curious about:

I'm curious about what situations people should not be offended about. If it's really such a big societal problem, we should have examples to discuss.
I think it isn't so much when or why people are offended that is the issue (this differs depending on demographics, culture, education, religion, gender, etc), it is more so the proclivity of society more and more to censor those they don't agree with due to a perceived offense. The line is coming closer and closer to a point where anything that you say has the potential for offending someone else, and them declaring a 'right' to have your voice silenced due to that.

I think the standards are becoming vague on what is indeed offensive beyond absolution in society as a whole (abuse, physical harm, murder, torture, cruelty, racism, etc.) and that which is taken as offensive to one but is subjective to the whole (the same action or word would not be perceived as wrong or inabsolvable by another). In the latter case, a morbid joke, a prank gone wrong, a disagreement, a difference of opinion, a labeling of character or action, how one deals with confrontation, etc. The subjective examples are numerous.

I think you bring up a good point. Part of the problem is that on some level, some people are receiving the message that things are "bad" and "getting worse."
Your perceptions of this as a truism are going to be your personal experience.
In order to see the reality, we have to look at things with a more objective lens.
As has been mentioned, it may not be the case that things are "worse than before," but only that we are able to access more of the world's problems more readily.
Perhaps ignorance is bliss, and we are simply becoming less ignorant as a species.

So, it is pretty important to figure out which things are legitimately worth being offended by.
I think in a lot of cases it's circumstantial, and often people are offended where the circumstance doesn't merit being so.

I think it isn't so much when or why people are offended that is the issue (this differs depending on demographics, culture, education, religion, gender, etc), it is more so the proclivity of society more and more to censor those they don't agree with due to a perceived offense. The line is coming closer and closer to a point where anything that you say has the potential for offending someone else, and them declaring a 'right' to have your voice silenced due to that.

I think the standards are becoming vague on what is indeed offensive beyond absolution in society as a whole (abuse, physical harm, murder, torture, cruelty, racism, etc.) and that which is taken as offensive to one but is subjective to the whole (the same action or word would not be perceived as wrong or inabsolvable by another). In the latter case, a morbid joke, a prank gone wrong, a disagreement, a difference of opinion, a labeling of character or action, how one deals with confrontation, etc. The subjective examples are numerous.
Thanks but that doesn't answer my question which I am hoping OP will answer.

Wyote eloquently explains why in his post.

it is more so the proclivity of society more and more to censor those they don't agree with due to a perceived offense. The line is coming closer and closer to a point where anything that you say has the potential for offending someone else, and them declaring a 'right' to have your voice silenced due to that.

Definitely agree. It is such a tough balance between free speech/freedom of expression and allowing for personal sovereignty. We must always constantly fight for both.

I can’t think of specific examples. What I said before may well have been a cop out. I have a shit memory so even all the examples I could’ve referenced here, I can’t recall to use. I notice and remember trends or patterns I’ve seen, but I don’t recall specifics. I understand that the vagueness of this thread or my responses rather make it feel as though I’m pointing my finger at everyone and everything. I’m not. So for that I’m sorry. If anyone has any examples to contribute, I’m game for giving my take/talking openly about it.

It's one thing for the offended to be bereft of validation of their feelings due to another's lack of emotional intelligence, and quite another for those who've offended to acknowlege the wrong they've done, but be boxed in to being unable to do anything or resolve it. Some people are content to wallow in despair and be miserable, no matter what you say or do to help them. Personal responsibility isn't just on those who offend. If there is any hope of being able to connect with or understand others, it falls on both sides to be willing.

Don't worry as that sort are well known for telling people with real issues off to just man up and get over it ect hell such has even told war vets off. As for personal responsibility that is all some people get to have with zero in the way of support after all that is what is expected of men and some women leading to suicides but hey that is society working as intended. Blame and responsibility for some sympathy and support for others as not all are equal in the eyes of people who support such ideology.

So for that I’m sorry.
HOW DARE YOU ILL NEVER FORGIVE U

Joking aside.
I relate with what you mention about recalling patterns or trends more than specifics. Are these something you would be able to describe?

I think the standards are becoming vague on what is indeed offensive beyond absolution in society as a whole
Why do you think this?
Not to say you're wrong, only that I'm curious about your perspective.

Don't worry as that sort are well known for telling people with real issues off to just man up and get over it ect hell such has even told war vets off. As for personal responsibility that is all some people get to have with zero in the way of support after all that is what is expected of men and some women leading to suicides but hey that is society working as intended. Blame and responsibility for some sympathy and support for others as not all are equal in the eyes of people who support such ideology.
I'm sorry that has been your experience with it, and it is worrisome, as it is wrong to be treated as if you don't matter or as if you cannot feel. That is not at all what I'm saying, to be very clear. I feel as if there was a misunderstanding somewhere, but I'm not sure where...

Lack of support, especially under the guise of caring when telling people to fend for themselves, is not at all what I’m advocating. Pulling yourself up by your bootstraps is a necessary skill but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be allowed to ask for help. As a vet myself (OIF 2009-2010, Ramadi, Iraq) I’ve had to ask for help a lot myself. Thank you for your service. I should let you know that I’ve considered taking my life quite a few times. It’s a horrible headspace to occupy. If you EVER need anything, message me and I’ll help you as much as I can. This goes for everyone on here