zsedftghj830

Community Member
Sep 14, 2021
Firestone, CO
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Does anyone else here see major concern for how easily offended a lot of people are nowadays? Resilience and grit are being lost as is open discourse. As someone who was bullied as a kid, I have seen the pendulum swing all the way from one end to the other. I know social media has stoked the fire for sure. Instead of dismissing, as we probably should, some of our kids complaints because maybe they were exaggerated, a lot of people validate ALL of their kids problems without proper evaluation thereby leading their kids to believe that every little complaint they have is valid. It’s done with good intentions sure, but very short sighted. I see all of this as a huge problem because the easily offended are taking offense in situations where none should have been taken. Creating problems where none existed in the first place. How do we steer society back in the right direction (settle in the middle)? Will our culture naturally find the middle? I sure hope so.

Last edited:
Instead of rationally discussing a conflict, it seems that one party gets massively offended, and now instead of trying to logically discuss what happened, the rage of the offended party all of a sudden takes the wheel and that rage needs to be addressed or the other side might get a shitty label for not addressing them

I’m not saying we go back to the “good ol days” of using racial slurs and segregation but what I am advocating is allowing for the building of thick skin as it is NECESSARY as the lack of it causes misunderstandings and conflict

We should also strive to acknowledge when we’re wrong, instead of getting defensive and reacting with 100% emotion. If we could all learn to be a little more stoic, humanity would be greatly helped

sto·i·cism
/ˈstōəˌsizəm/

noun
the endurance of pain or hardship without the display of feelings and without complaint.

Once you get to know a person they tend to not be offended by things, or at least capable of some level of forgiveness, although the younger generation has made being offended in to a sort of clout market/economy.

So we have to ensure that being offended becomes less valuable.

i am defiantly a prime example of such but when all a person wants to do is help others and is consistently shit on and taking advantage of , misunderstood ,steped over by society because of social standings or upbringing , tends to boil in ones belly and mind until full . releasing all that crap is a trick in its self . which was why i was excited to find this forum . i thought i finally found people that would get me . im afraid i might have been wrong again . back inside i go .

i am defiantly a prime example of such but when all a person wants to do is help others and is consistently shit on and taking advantage of , misunderstood ,steped over by society because of social standings or upbringing , tends to boil in ones belly and mind until full . releasing all that crap is a trick in its self . which was why i was excited to find this forum . i thought i finally found people that would get me . im afraid i might have been wrong again . back inside i go .

Perhaps you’d be wise to assume that my position could change if I got to know you. I don’t know you and you stuck that label on yourself. Maybe try being nicer to yourself. Practice a little self compassion

Reactions: Wyote and Linda Loo
Also maybe try not assuming that world is out to personally get you… Try to triumph over hard times, fight them, don’t let them beat you down. But also try approaching things from a logical standpoint and maybe try understanding other peoples points of views as well to temper your emotional reaction

What kind of jokes do you feel like you can't tell anymore? What kind of jokes should people put on a brave face or thick skin and tolerate hearing? (Lol, our definitions of comedy must be really different.)

I just think that if you're going to tell edgy or dark jokes you should be emotionally intelligent enough to know your audience so that you can avoid hurting anyone in the first place.

I personally believe everyone is doing the best they can with what they can. Unfortunately yes, for some people their best is shit. But from a worldview POV, it helps you to be more compassionate and understanding. If someone despite your best reasoning is still 100% an unforgivable dirtbag, then do everything you can to cut them out, not move forward with conflict

The greater issue I see here is that it has created a cry wolf situation. If everyone is always offended, then how do we distinguish between those who are rightfully offended and those who just have a thin skin?

There are very real unacknowledged struggles that people should be able to speak up about. But if others don't immediately understand or relate, you risk being dismissed as yet another attention-seeker looking to throw yet another twig on the fire.

The greater issue I see here is that it has created a cry wolf situation. If everyone is always offended, then how do we distinguish between those who are rightfully offended and those who just have a thin skin?

There are very real unacknowledged struggles that people should be able to speak up about. But if others don't immediately understand or relate, you risk being dismissed as yet another attention-seeker looking to throw yet another twig on the fire.

Yes that is a very real concern. I hadn’t considered that.

What kind of jokes do you feel like you can't tell anymore? What kind of jokes should people put on a brave face or thick skin and tolerate hearing? (Lol, our definitions of comedy must be really different.)

I just think that if you're going to tell edgy or dark jokes you should be emotionally intelligent enough to know your audience so that you can avoid hurting anyone in the first place.

I’m not saying Sam Kinison level humor is acceptable but I AM saying that perhaps George Carlin humor should be acceptable. I don’t personally experience getting scoffed at for my humor, but I see and hear about it, through my daughter’s experiences and through what you see in various media outlets. I know it’s without 1st person context, however, it’s concerning