Don't mistake my *enter quality here* for weakness | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Don't mistake my *enter quality here* for weakness

Don't mistake my THOUGHTFULNESS for weakness.

I love to do little things for the people I care about. For instance, in the morning I make tea (and sometimes breakfast) for my roommate. When someone asks to borrow my notes from class, I often make a copy for them. Sometimes people try to take advantage of this behavior, thinking I'm too weak to stand up for myself. That's not the case. I'm thoughtful because it makes me happy, but I can just as easily be unhelpful and cold toward those who are exploitative.

Don't pity me for my physical or mental disabilities. One has given me strength and insights I never would have had without it; the other has taken me places few people ever see.

I like that. :)

Y'all are amazing. . . .

Reactions: rawr
don't mistake my silence for coldness
don't mistake my curiosity for intelligence
don't assume if i don't talk to you for a long, long time, i've forgotten about you. this almost never happens. we could meet each other again today and it would be like that time in between had never passed.

People often believe that I am docile or passive because I tend to be very quiet. Yes, that same old story...I don't really mind that coworkers or classmates think I'm easy or unabrasive, I just wish my family thought of me as a kinder person. On the other hand I do take pleasure in finding ways to "correct" certain people who think they can take advantage of me because they get the impression that I'm a pushover. I relish that certain look on the face...

So, we've heard terms such as "Don't mistake my niceness for weakness," and other similar phrases.

What I am curious about is, throughout your experiences, what are some traits or qualities you may have or notice in others which are often mistaken for weaknesses or flaws, but are truly strengths or advantages in disguise?

What do people too often or too easily treat as a weakness but may really be a good quality or strength depending on the way it is used or understood.

Don't mistake my quietness for shyness. I'm just sixzing you up and its easier to observe when you're quiet. Don't worry, there's a 90% chance I'm only thinking kind things about you though.

Don't mistake my flirtatiousness for easiness. I'm not, but I don't really care if you think I am either. It's just, you're probably wasting your time if you think I'm going to put out. I'm VERY VERY selective. Almost neurotically so.

Don't mistake my ditziness/goofiness for stupidity. I'm just comfortable enough with my intelligence that I'm not afraid to ask seemingly stupid, obvious or absurd questions. Saying stupid shit doesn't equal stupid. Sometimes you have to ask dumb questions to get to the meat of things. It disarms people a bit. Like Columbo, yo.

Don't mistake my dark humor and sarcasm for cynicism. I'm really a misanthropic optimist and think people mostly try their best but fail for all sorts of reasons. I fake indifference, fake it quite well, but honestly, I want everyone to be happy, within reason and like mostly everybody.

Don't mistake my distance for disinterest. I'm not always good about expressing myself. Which surprises most people a great deal. I seem very open, but i'm complex, and I hold a lot back. i could be madly in love with you and you'd be none the wiser. i wish it wasn't that way, but I think I developed that as a means of self protection. I'm working on that. What makes my heart so special that I can't chance it getting shattered like everyone else's. i'm a braver girl than that, I'd hate to close myself off to the fullness of the world for fear of a bruised ego.

Ha,I could do this all day

Last edited:
Don't mistake my "I know you're lying but i'm pretending to be gullible to see how far you'll take it" for a weakness.

don't mistake my care for your safety and lack of care for my own as pretentious self-sacrificing messiahism....i'm just want to make sure your okay

dont mistake my optimism for society for a weakness

Don't mistake my genius for insanity. Just because you don't understand doesn't mean its senseless.
Don't mistake my open-mindedness for ignorance. Just because I like new ideas doesn't mean I don't know the older ones.
Don't mistake my silence for disinterest. Just because I'm not talking doesn't mean I don't have anything to say.
Don't mistake my patience for laziness. Just because I put something off doesn't mean I don't plan to do it.
Don't mistake my tolerance for passivity. Just because I can put up with something doesn't mean I don't have the will to change it.
Don't mistake my critique for insult. Just because I see the flaws doesn't mean I don't see the value first.
Don't mistake my idealism for naivete. Just because I stand and fight doesn't mean I think I'll win.
Don't mistake my dreams for fantasies. Just because you can't see true beauty doesn't mean it isn't there.
Don't mistake my honesty for trust. Just because I tell the truth doesn't mean I think you do the same.
Don't mistake my skepticism for pessimism. Just because I have my doubts doesn't mean I have no hope.
Don't mistake my empathy for self-consciousness. Just because I care what other people think doesn't mean I conform.
Don't mistake my love for dependency. Just because I prefer to be with you, doesn't mean I can't handle being alone.

Reactions: Gaze and rawr
Dont mistake my silence for ignorance, or arrogance...

Reactions: Gaze
Don't mistake my ability to see and consider both sides as wishy-washy
Don't mistake my silence for cluelessness or lack of strength
Don't mistake my lack of aggressiveness for lack of confidence
Don't mistake my seriousness for lack of a sense of humor

Sidenote: And just because I don't laugh at your jokes, doesn't mean I don't get it. Maybe I just didn't find the joke that funny. (This is not directed at anyone here)

Last edited:
Reactions: Liv
Don't mistake my stuffed killer whale for weakness

QPic

...for an evil power lies within.

Don't mistake my awe inspiring greatness for humility.

dont mistake my honesty for weakness....and just because im honest doesnt make me think you are,i see lies more clearly in fact.
dont mistake my distance for dislike....you are always in my thoughts, perhaps if you believed in honesty you would believe this.
dont mistake my caring nature for weakness....its not.if you take advantage of it,it shows worse of you than of me.

what i consider my strengths many consider my weaknesses,im glad i dont see it like that.
*you is not a particular person

Do not mistake my sensitivity for weakness as I can see what you can not