Doing a presentation on the Myers-Briggs personality types

aerosol

American trash
Jan 16, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I have to give a presentation for my psychology class. My topic was personality, so why not make a powerpoint about the myers-briggs type of testing.

But I need ideas. I'll start off by explaining what it is and all about extravert vs introvert and sensing and feeling and judging and thinking and etc etc. I'll cover all that.

What else should I include? Should I let people know what type I am? That feels awfully personal in a room full of 30 people.

Btw, my teacher is an absolute asshole so he won't let me not present in public. I am phobic and my teachers understand that, except for him I guess. Is this common amongst INFJs? Not to be a little shaky, but full blown anxiety attack style when it comes to public speaking?

Thanks.

If you have trouble with public speaking, try to make sure that all of the relevent information is on each slide in a format that's not only easy for people to grasp, but makes it easy to reference for your own benefit as well.

As for the content, I'd go into some general detail about the jungian cognitive functions as they relate to the mbti types. There are probably a lot of good pictures online that present the four temperements and the like in an appealing visual manner, so that would be good to accompany text with as well. I'll add some more things as I think of em.

By the way, as a theory, do you know how respected mbti is? I've always been curious, but I've never bothered to ask someone, and I figured someone in psychology is a good place.

And yeah, I get a little nervous in doing public speaking just because I know not gonna do half as well as I do when I think out the situation in my head. So much awesome in my head, flowing from idea to idea, then I finally do it and soul-crushingly disappointing in comparison >.<

Last edited:
Cognitive Functions, I am not sure if it's part of the Myers Brigg personality types, but it definately contributes towards it.

Is this common amongst INFJs? Not to be a little shaky, but full blown anxiety attack style when it comes to public speaking?

Maybe, I know I would be sometimes.

How long is your presentation? Can you work in something that tells people the benefits of knowing about the types? How it will help them in their lives? Improve their communications with others...that sort of thing.
How knowing their type may help them understand the little quirks of self that maybe make them uneasy? Also - how all of the types work together to make the world function. You know - without one or the other - some things would never get done...that sort of thing.

If you don't tell them what type you are - they're going to ask you if questions are allowed. If it were me - I would tell them and I would say a strength and a weakness.

Also I'd include info on where they can take the test.

And oh yes - I get dry mouth from being nervous when I have to present. That sucks when you have to keep talking for 5 to 15 minutes and then answer questions. Someone once told me to suck on a piece of hard candy right before the presentation. The very last presentation I made I chose to utilize candy in demonstrating being mindful while eating. LOL That was fun! The anticipation of eating the candy made my mouth water while talking. WIN.

Reactions: Griffin
Cognitive Functions, I am not sure if it's part of the Myers Brigg personality types, but it definately contributes towards it.

Maybe, I know I would be sometimes.

Absolutely cover the functions. They are the base of the theory.

Reactions: arbygil
If you have time, once you get into the history of MBTI, you can explain how Jung's functions are the basis for MBTI. That will give you a chance to explain functions.

It depends on how long your presentation is but there are tons of things you can say - even discuss the newer theories going on today and how they branch from MBTI (Beebe, Lenore Thompson, etc).

Shoulda said that before -- it's to be 15-20 mins. Thanks for your suggestions, keep em coming.

By the way, as a theory, do you know how respected mbti is? I've always been curious, but I've never bothered to ask someone, and I figured someone in psychology is a good place.

I kinda don't know because I'm just starting out, but I think it's the most respected one as far as a test that you can do on your own goes. It has flaws, but it is very inclusive.

The functions are interesting, but how they interact is better! More in depth! And the whole Primary, tertiary, things like that... and the shadow functions! See the last bit of this video for an example mayhaps:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwfLC8qXwH8"]YouTube - ISTJ Cracking the Personality Type Code[/ame]

And saying that they're preferences, not straight boxes people fit into... but more areas that people act more in?

Also, you should play Reckoner in the background while you give your presentation - damn straight.

Hope that helped :D

I suppose it varies from person to person, as with most theories. Most of my psych. professors have scoffed at it and tend to lean towards the Big 5/OCEAN. The only time I ever saw it mentioned in one of my textbooks was in Introduction to General Psychology, and there was a short article about how inaccurate the tests often are with a couple of really stereotypical caricatures.

/intrusion

I don't really have any helpful advice, as I'm no good at presentations, myself. Good luck, though.

You don't have to confess your type but I've found the audience is easier if you reveal yourself to them a bit. Also, with a completely new audience I confess my nervousness which always gets laughs (don't know why) and that relaxes me. Know your topic inside out which I bet you do all ready and make sure you can express it in simple clear terms because although it might look cool to be verbose it isn't actually. If your presentation isn't time based focus more on being clear. If it takes a bit of talking, even storytelling, to do that then its fine but if it's more natural for you to get straight to the point then do.

Good luck.

Am trying to put a powerpoint together right now. I might post it here later on if I can figure out how to do that.

One question. I re-did a test for fun and the percentage scores confuse me... is this how it breaks down for all INFJs? And if not, is mine totally messed up? 1% judging?

[SIZE=+1]Your Type is [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+2]INFJ[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]Strength of the preferences %[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]67 12 50 1[/SIZE]

Reactions: Wyote
All that means is that you aren't particularly judgmental (not in that sense). You're right on the line between INFJ and INFP. Actually, that 12% N is also pretty low. I bet if you retook it a few times you'd see ISFP and ISFJ. When people have low percentages like that, they might write IxFx, because they are close.
I'm something like 75, 75, 75, 45, so I'm strongly INF, and fairly J.

All that means is that you aren't particularly judgmental (not in that sense). You're right on the line between INFJ and INFP. Actually, that 12% N is also pretty low. I bet if you retook it a few times you'd see ISFP and ISFJ. When people have low percentages like that, they might write IxFx, because they are close.
I'm something like 75, 75, 75, 45, so I'm strongly INF, and fairly J.

I always get INFJ, even on the tests where I feel like I might have "messed up", like this one.
The 1 % judgement might have been true, though.
But I don't know... I feel like I should have gotten 99% introvert, ha.

Thanks for clearing up my confusion!

Nah, that doesn't mean anything. It's simply a preference. And to be honest, that test...isn't the best one in the world. Better tests are ones that measure your Jungian processes.

But I do like the multiple choice MBTI tests, when they contain the dreaded, "some of the time, most of the time, all of the time" and "never" questions.

The functions are interesting, but how they interact is better! More in depth! And the whole Primary, tertiary, things like that... and the shadow functions! See the last bit of this video for an example mayhaps:

YouTube - ISTJ Cracking the Personality Type Code

And saying that they're preferences, not straight boxes people fit into... but more areas that people act more in?

Also, you should play Reckoner in the background while you give your presentation - damn straight.

Hope that helped :D

I had a look a the video. Are the two middle functions the only ones that can be extraverted/introverted? or does that go for judging/percieving also?

Do you want to present only the MBTI, or would you prefer a very basic MBTI explanation and more emphasis on the jungian fuctions?
Although 20 minutes may be a bit short for the latter. =/

Do you want to present only the MBTI, or would you prefer a very basic MBTI explanation and more emphasis on the jungian fuctions?
Although 20 minutes may be a bit short for the latter. =/

I'm doing the first but the second one sounds better. =/
Too tired to change it too much now. I hate school.

I had a look a the video. Are the two middle functions the only ones that can be extraverted/introverted? or does that go for judging/percieving also?

The letters of the MBTI type are not functions; they merely indicate the order of preference.

Intuition and Sensing are both Perceiving functions. Thinking and Judging are both Judging functions. Every function may have either an extraverted or introverted attitude, making up 8 cognitive processes in total: Se, Si, Ne, Ni, Te, Ti, Fe, and Fi.

Those who are called percievers (have a P instead of a J in their MBTI type) happen to have their strongest extraverted function be a percieving function. Those called judgers have their strongest extraverted function be a judging function.

For extraverts, the strongest extraverted function is the dominant function overall. For introverts, the dominant function is introverted. An IxxJ type has a dominant percieving function and an IxxP type has a dominant judging function.

INFJ = Ni>Fe>Ti>Se