Doing a presentation on the Myers-Briggs personality types | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Doing a presentation on the Myers-Briggs personality types

An IxxJ type has a dominant percieving function and an IxxP type has a dominant judging function.

Don't you mean the opposite?

Also, how do I explain introverted feeling? How is it different from extraverted feeling? Can I just say that the feelings are focused on those around you as opposed to yourself (if im describing extraverted feeling)?

Also, how do I explain introverted feeling? How is it different from extraverted feeling? Can I just say that the feelings are focused on those around you as opposed to yourself (if im describing extraverted feeling)?

Introverted Feeling: Ethics focused on the subject.
Extraverted Feeling: Ethics focused on the object.

Fi sees ethics/morals as innate, human nature.
Fe sees ethics/morals as contextual, learned behavior.

That's the simplest I can describe either function.

Fi is a universal right and wrong.
Fe is contextual right and wrong.

Last edited:
No I do not. Judgers and percievers are defined by the side that they show the world, which for introverts is the auxiliary rather than dominant function.

Introverted perceiving functions perceive things from within the self. Introverted sensing relies conscious memories and recognition of norms, and automatically compares and contrasts what is currently being sensed with the internal template. Introverted intuition relies on subconscious extrapolation from that which was sensed. It is closely associated with epiphanies, when an idea or understanding seemed to emerge in the conscious fully formed as the subconscious did all the work. It tends to focus on the single idea that seems most likely, rather than considering many slightly less likely alternatives, and so does is usually right but can be very very wrong.

Extraverted perceiving functions perceive things from the outer world. Extraverted sensing involve directly taking in data trough the 5 senses. those with extraverted sensing tend to wish to indulge the senses more, to be physically active. Extraverted intuition involves having the subconscious make connections so that the outer world is percieved as a bunch of interrelated patterns. (Not that this likely helps, but you can think of Se as taking in raster data like in a bitmap file while Ne takes in the vector data of the formulas defining the image like in a jpeg.) It tends to come up with many possible patterns which may represent incompatible viewpoints; seeing many sides of a situation can fill one with doubt and make choosing one course of action more difficult.

Extraverted judging involves making value judgments based on external criteria. Extraverted thinking is based on pragmatism, efficiency, and the likelihood of attaining the desired goal. Extraverted feeling involves making judgments based on how things effect one's relationship with others. It takes the feelings of others into account, as well as one's own feelings about the others. It is associated with loving interpersonal harmony and generally hates interpersonal conflict, but in some rare cases may instead revel in it. (Immature Fe like ExTPs often have may care more about getting attention than why they are getting attention). It involves both the desire to become closer with others and the desire to distance oneself or cut people off. It is concerned with how others perceive the self. (I think I vaguely remember reading that it is associated with the mirror neurons in the brain, as well as a little bit with the limbic system and the frontal cortex like Te for decision making.)

Introverted judging is about making value judgements based on purely internalized criteria. Introverted thinking is primarily concerned with the desire to seek and more clearly understand truth. It values accuracy, honesty, and most of all the internal coherency of a theory. It is not particularly concerned with application of knowledge, just the acquisition. Introverted feeling pertains to one's very personal values and emotional reactions. (It is almost entirely limbic.) It is concerned with whether things feel right to the individual. Different people have different personal values, so it can manifest in very different ways.

Thank you guys. =D

I have a section on what is flawed about MBTI. But I don't know what to put there. I know there are flaws, I'd just need some specifics.

I have a section on what is flawed about MBTI. But I don't know what to put there. I know there are flaws, I'd just need some specifics.

Bump.

Seriously. Please help me out. I know MBTI has flaws, but does anyone know specifically what they are considered to be?

No. No smartass remarks that maybe I should look it up myself. I'm far too lazy for that tonight.

I would even go so far as to say that Extraverted Judging can be weaker than Introverted Judging. INFJs have extraverted judging functions ("Je," if you will [if you can pardon my bastardization]); we tend to judge based on what we see, not how we feel. INFPs have introverted judging functions - they tend to base on what they feel, not what they see.

Both have positive and negative qualities, but this is why INFJs can jump to conclusions sometimes, even when they filter through Ni. INFPs may jump to conclusions less, but they filter through how they feel about things personally (hence, if their internal moral compass goes off about something not being right to them, they'll call you out).

The function part is fascinating, but you won't have time to discuss it in 20 minutes. There are whole classes dedicated to this.