Do you "play by the rules"? | INFJ Forum

Do you "play by the rules"?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Do you usually "play by the rules"? Why or why not?

When do you think it is good to disregard the rules and when is it not so good or unwise to do so?

In a game or sporting event of course, it is unsportsmanlike not to.

Gods laws while I don't agree with some interpretations of them for the most part it is a good way to live your life.

Mans Law- I have difficulty agreeing with everything another human being says is right and wrong. I have my own code of honor and follow it to the letter, if ever that happens to break any laws in this country or another then so be it I'll have to face the consequences.

I do play fair and I try to be wise about the rules I bend. I may not agree with certain things, but I'd rather not have to deal with the hassle of being found guilty.

Last edited:

When do you think it is good to disregard the rules and when is it not so good or unwise to do so?

Yes I do and I think even though its ethical and morally good. It gets me no where a lot of the time. I even sacrifice opportunities by doing the right thing.

Sometimes I question the value of playing by the rules.

When the rules suit me. And by that, I don't mean whether or not they make me uncomfortable or go against my hedonistic impulses in that particular moment. I mean when they make no logical sense or hold moral weight. If they don't, I either protest or pay them no mind, which is directly in proportion to how ridiculous these "rules" are.

So I'd check "sometimes."

When the rules suit me. And by that, I don't mean whether or not they make me uncomfortable or go against my hedonistic impulses in that particular moment. I mean when they make no logical sense or hold moral weight. If they don't, I either protest or pay them no mind, which is directly in proportion to how ridiculous these "rules" are.

Ditto.

ditto x 2 ^^^

I was going to say yes, MY rules. It just so happens they are mostly what is considered kind, fair, and just in the world. I call out injustice when and where I see it. This does not always mean I can avoid it, but like many INFJ's I play by my own rules. Lucky we are not of the dark side!

I follow the rules I agree with. For example, when playing a board game or a sport of some kind, I will stick to the rules to the letter, for the sake of keeping the game running smoothly and fairly. When I feel a rule is unjust, or if it conflicts with what I know is right, I'll try my best to avoid following it. Like Soulful said, you have to deal with the hassle of being found guilty, however, depending on what I'm being found guilty of, I may be willing to go through with the hassle honestly and without regret.

I never break the rules, ever. I will bend them quite far though (under the condition that no one will see). In a nutshell, I almost always play by the rules.

Reactions: Feelings
I never break the rules, ever. I will bend them quite far though (under the condition that no one will see). In a nutshell, I almost always play by the rules.

Indigo makes the rules.

Q: What are the rules?

When it comes to civil laws or an organisation's rules I'll carefully -and easily- follow the rules that are enforceable. The other rules/laws I may follow without knowing about it, because I just ignore them and do what seems right/reasonable in the situation.

I also have a knack for getting what I want, even if it means that I have to go through a dozen loopholes - but this is more a work related thing.

Naw, I don't think INTJs really follow rules. We do our own thing :) Weigh the risk of being caught vs. benefit of breaking the rule. I think INTJs are mostly extremely ethical though, and do their own ethical evaluations independent of rules. It's how I do!

Naw, I don't think INTJs really follow rules. We do our own thing :) Weigh the risk of being caught vs. benefit of breaking the rule. I think INTJs are mostly extremely ethical though, and do their own ethical evaluations independent of rules. It's how I do!

You are too ethical to be ethical?

I'd like to think I play by the rules, but really I try to have my cake and eat it. Needless to say, this approach to living typically doesn't work out, but I still try to defy basic principles of truth.

I may not have control over the consequences to my actions, but the journey to the consequence is my choice. Call me the Brash Hero.

i usually do. i'll ignore them if they are impractical though

All I have to say is: Fuck those Monopoly rules. I can't get anyone to play with me unless we do the Free Parking thing.

Just my own rules, and only when I have the sense to remember.

Yes, we should follow rules if we want to understand anything and want to achieve anything. I try to follow rule and in the end i get success.

Depends on situation. if something is more important then it is better to break the rule and replace it by another good with good plan. Otherwise do the opposite of it. I mean, keep the rule and go with it.

Bolded lines are my answer.

Last edited: