Do you know an ISFP? | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

Do you know an ISFP?

It's "Please Understand Me II", I believe. It sounds like it, anyway.

And they're the "gold standard" for SJ, SP, NF, and NT. :)

I am SO buying this book, thank you!

These are in order of most to least applicable to me, though I had a REALLY hard time deciding the order. If I had to make a ruling, I'd say there was less than a 1% distinction in some cases.

I hope that helps you understand how difficult it is to nail down type sometimes. I've been at this for years, and I'm convinced I'm very much an INFJ, ENFJ, INFP, and ENFP. I only claim INFJ because the descriptions just barely win out over the others.

It really is a hard thing for those of us who defy the typical patterns to match ourselves up with an archetype.

I do indeed know an ISFP. He's very himself; he does what he thinks he should do, no matter what anyone else will think. It's really quite refreshing in some ways, and very disconcerting in others. He's also pretty outgoing. And a little spacey.

Yes, I'm fairly sure I know one.
She's pretty nice really, almost all the time. Occasionally moody and takes her emotions out on people in a very passive-aggressive way (such as appearing annoyed with them for no apparent reason and denying it all the time).
I have very good deep conversations with her, but it's occasionally difficult to talk about lighter topics (I guess this might not be such a bad thing ^^"). She's very much into philosophy.
She is also very unlikely to ever really strongly oppose things, even if she does disagree with someone, or tries to very quietly. Thankfully, I've never been one to say much she disagrees with ^^" I get the feeling I'd get some wrath for that.
I'd say she romanticises things a lot and creates drama sometimes just for the sake of it in her mind. She switches her attention on people periodically, so sometimes she can be a bit... well, a good example was when I was meeting up with her by myself and she seemed really bored then was explicitly relieved and happy when we ran into my sister and then didn't talk to me at all.
(Nowadays I'd question her about it, but this happened when I was much shyer and put a big dent in my self-esteem).

Reactions: NeverAmI
honestly I really cant see you as an Isfp...your intuition is way too strong...but you would know better. My mother if she really is ESFP turned isfp cares for no one but herself, and that is is not you either. I dunno...I usually suck at typing people but...i dunno...It just doesnt fit for me...:m080:
ISFPs have Ni as their tertiary process -- similar to the way that INFJ's have Ti as their tertiary process. Hence why male INFJs, in particular, form some of their identity on how well they are able to use their Ti.

Last edited:
ISFPs have Ni as their tertiary process -- similar to the way that INFJ's have Ti as their tertiary process. Hence why male INTPs, in particular, form some of their identity on how well they are able to use their Ti.

You mean how male INFJs form some of their identity on how well they are able to use their Ti?

The tertiary process is often associated with the 'inner child'. For INFJs, that's our inner geek (Ti). It's also evidence of how we manifest when we go deeply introvert. Ti is a comfort zone for us.

ISFPs have Ni in that position, so for them, it represents a sense of wonder. When they embrace their Fi and Ni, they end up in this strange state of feeling and wonder, which is their safe place. It can look a bit like INFP. This might explain a lot, NAI. When you go deeply introvert, perhaps you're doing the Fi and Ni thing. When ISFPs get in this mode, they're emotionally needy and idealistic. They want to have their emotional needs met in a romantic, magical way.

However, for ISTPs, it's Ti and Ni when they introvert, and that's why we (INFJ + ISTP) get along so well. We share the same two functions when we introvert, and they're our dominant and tertiary functions. This leads to that sense of wonder combined with that inner geek that we have, except ISTPs start at geek and move to wonder. INFJs start at wonder and move to geek. We end up at the same place, which often takes the form of things like a Dungeons & Dragons game, building models of spaceships together, or discussing how their favorite super heroes' powers would work if they were real, hehe.

Last edited:
Reactions: DefectiveCreative
Yes, I'm fairly sure I know one.
She's pretty nice really, almost all the time. Occasionally moody and takes her emotions out on people in a very passive-aggressive way (such as appearing annoyed with them for no apparent reason and denying it all the time).
I have very good deep conversations with her, but it's occasionally difficult to talk about lighter topics (I guess this might not be such a bad thing ^^"). She's very much into philosophy.
She is also very unlikely to ever really strongly oppose things, even if she does disagree with someone, or tries to very quietly. Thankfully, I've never been one to say much she disagrees with ^^" I get the feeling I'd get some wrath for that.
I'd say she romanticises things a lot and creates drama sometimes just for the sake of it in her mind. She switches her attention on people periodically, so sometimes she can be a bit... well, a good example was when I was meeting up with her by myself and she seemed really bored then was explicitly relieved and happy when we ran into my sister and then didn't talk to me at all.
(Nowadays I'd question her about it, but this happened when I was much shyer and put a big dent in my self-esteem).

I can relate to this, and it tears me up. I generally try to resist urges to be that way. Sometimes it is hard to take our eyes away from the new shiny lights.

I think it is the SP's need for excitement and spontaneity. I think if you just busted out with something crazy/zany they would perk right up. I could be wrong though. It sucks being that way, but I am being truthful with myself.

Last edited:
ISFPs have Ni in that position, so for them, it represents a sense of wonder. When they embrace their Fi and Ni, they end up in this strange state of feeling and wonder, which is their safe place. It can look a bit like INFP. This might explain a lot, NAI. When you go deeply introvert, perhaps you're doing the Fi and Ni thing. When ISFPs get in this mode, they're emotionally needy and idealistic. They want to have their emotional needs met in a romantic, magical way.

An ISFP happy place? I think I go there when low on (Se) stimulation, I come on here when I'm low on that, so on here I'm mostly in Fi-Ni mode.

Just don't stay there too long or you end up like MJ.

crazy-michael-jackson.jpg

An ISFP happy place? I think I go there when low on (Se) stimulation, I come on here when I'm low on that, so on here I'm mostly in Fi-Ni mode.

Just don't stay there too long or you end up like MJ.

crazy-michael-jackson.jpg

LOL

You mean how male INFJs form some of their identity on how well they are able to use their Ti?

The tertiary process is often associated with the 'inner child'. For INFJs, that's our inner geek (Ti). It's also evidence of how we manifest when we go deeply introvert. Ti is a comfort zone for us...
Ah yes, that was a misspelling.

I like how you clearly spell out that the tertiary process is the 'comfort zone'/'inner child' process of any type, which is what I was getting at, except without the 'inner child' angle, which is a most interesting one indeed.