Do you have trouble reading when you wake up? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Do you have trouble reading when you wake up?

I'm usually running late in the a.m. anyhow, so I can't think or speak or do anything right until I have first had a shower, and then a cup of coffee. If I don't do those two things first it totally screws up my motivation for the day for some reason.

This is an interesting thread NH (I liked VH better!). I do not have a desire, ever, to read when I first wake up. I am usually processing what went though my mind during the night. I have chronicled many times on this forum that I write and do problem solving in my sleep. This is what has my attention immediately after I wake up. Being on second shift, I often wake up and go back to sleep. This give me ample opportunity to write things down from that in-between state of sleep and wakefulness.

nah, i only get like that after i've been reading for more than an hour at a stretch, i absorb the words but none of the meaning, and find myself re-reading the same sentence over and over. good sign that i need a break, lol

When I wake up, I'm more focused an alert. It's that time just before bed in the evening when I can't really concentrate, so reading is hard.
I find that my vision can go crazy randomly though - so suddenly I'll lose depth perception or writing will blur (even when wearing my glasses). Kind of worrying XD

It depends on what amount of time we're talking about. Of course, I have those first few moments when I wake up and am totally disoriented because I haven't yet woken up mentally. When I was younger and my mother used to come to my bedroom to wake me up for school, she always had to turn the light on to get me to wake up. Before she started doing that, she'd just tell me to get up, and I'd apparently talk to her without actually waking up, and she thought I was going back to sleep when I'd never really woken up to begin with. Additionally, if I wake up to the phone ringing, I usually answer it with urgency (which is weird because I don't do that at others times), but I won't be able to understand anything that's being said. I can register that someone is talking to me and say something like, "I don't understand you," but (obviously) I have no idea what they're actually saying. It's like listening to someone speak a foreign language you aren't familiar with.

But that's only for a couple of minutes at the most. I wake up very quickly, and I'm totally a morning person.

It takes me a rather long time to "wake up". I work nights and don't get done until 7am. That really messes up my sleep schedule and makes going to class a drag. I've gotten so used to the schedule that I rarely go to bed before 5am on nights I don't work despite what ever it is I have to do the next day or what time I have to wake up. I'm almost always sleep deprived and I spend the week in a fog of cloudy eyes, lots of coffee, and little comprehension. I'm still able to read and learn, but I'd hardly call it conscious. I more or less absorb the information my eyes scan, and I'm surprised when I can recall it later.

On the off chance that I'm well rested I jump out of bed with a "spring in my step", and I'm able to do most anything. Mornings like this are by far my most productive ones.