Do you feel uninteresting? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Do you feel uninteresting?

I do feel uninteresting. . . at times.
Doesn't help that my definition of interesting is that. . . if you are interesting, people will initiate conversations with you, without you doing any leg-work. . . not a very realistic definition, ne?

Ano. . . I do initiate most conversations that I have. . . unless I have a very talkative friend, and they haven't talked to anyone for awhile, and I just happen to be the first person they come across to vent their pent up talk. . . I'm a good listener, apparently.

Like some of the other people on here who replied to this topic, I feel that, if i stop actively initiating social interactions with other people, that they'll forget about me completely, and I'll . . . I'm afraid I won't have any friends anymore if I stop. . .and as I have very few friends already, that is a great fear of mine.

But it's also a great fear of mine that I'll lose my friends if I keep talking too much to them. . .

bleh. . . relationships are confusing :mtap:

I don't think I've ever felt un-interesting. I don't feel that I "do" interesting things, but I think what I think and feel is interesting and that I can provide for interesting conversation. Whether or not other people feel I'm interesting is another story.

Being interesting to others doesn't mean people will always be the ones to strike up a conversation with me. In fact this usually won't be the case. I just start talking to friends of friends (or strike of a conversation with a stranger somehow) and let the conversation flow naturally. Being in a conversation where I don't have to force anything usually makes me feel interesting.

Perhaps you project a reserved attitude which makes others hesitant to engage with you. It is an introvert tendency. I find when I want to "be" extroverted or the mood overtakes me, I tend to be open (looking directly at others) and smiling which draws people toward me and the end result is I get invited to more things. Body language conveys a lot more than we think.

BTW, I believe that it takes time and interaction to create meaningful connections, you can't expect it to happen right out of the gate. You have to endure the small talk and hesitant moments with new people to get close. Trust is typically earned. You probably don't trust on first sight and neither do most people (perhaps extreme dominant Fe?). It doesn't make it fake because beginnings usually start out small. In order to get to those really great moments, you have to have beginnings.