Do you fear death? | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

Do you fear death?

Disgraceful and rude to Christians the world over, and on Easter weekend. Calling Christ a zombie funny to you; not to me.

TT238831.JPG

Disgraceful and rude to Christians the world over, and on Easter weekend. Calling Christ a zombie funny to you; not to me.
I suspect one day someone will murder me for not showing enough respect to their religion.

With the millions of near death experience and other paranormal / metaphysical encounters, it is very likely an afterlife or reincarnation exists. However, I can't grasp the concept of infinite time and a new life / identity. Reincarnation means another life of suffering... Both unknowns are rather uncomfortable concepts. Heaven seems to me the more preferable alternative. I'd rather have an infinite place of no suffering and be reunited with loved ones.

Reactions: Skarekrow
Not today.

With the millions of near death experience and other paranormal / metaphysical encounters, it is very likely an afterlife or reincarnation exists. However, I can't grasp the concept of infinite time and a new life / identity. Reincarnation means another life of suffering... Both unknowns are rather uncomfortable concepts. Heaven seems to me the more preferable alternative. I'd rather have an infinite place of no suffering and be reunited with loved ones.
To a couple of your points.
First there's no reason to believe NDEs happen anywhere other than in the mind.
Second, you might think an infinite time line spent with friends and family works but... try imagining 1000 years, then 10,000 and then 1,000,000. First, all the people you meet in that time frame. You would forget most of them and some you know now you would forget eventually. Second by 1,000,000 years time you would be bored of everything.

To a couple of your points.
First there's no reason to believe NDEs happen anywhere other than in the mind.
Second, you might think an infinite time line spent with friends and family works but... try imagining 1000 years, then 10,000 and then 1,000,000. First, all the people you meet in that time frame. You would forget most of them and some you know now you would forget eventually. Second by 1,000,000 years time you would be bored of everything.

Firstly, you ignore the evidence, subjective or not.
NDEs have been studied by some of the most intelligent cardiologists and neurologists who have dared touch the subject because of stigmas attached which you are perpetuating.
Why is it not just as likely that there is an afterlife as opposed to not when we have correlated many aspects of subjective experiences.
Not to mention that for it to be considered a real NDE, their heart has stopped, and brain activity has ceased.
Yes, it could be confused with the time which the NDE occurred and it is possible that it is produced by the brain, but at our point in understanding it’s still just as likely that NDEs are real as not.
Also, trying to imagine limitless time or infinity or being outside of time as we know it altogether with our minds' when it isn’t set up to observe time in such a way...the mind acting as a reduction valve or limit of physicality...is a silly proposition when so much is unknown to us in our current state of reality.
I agree with the above that if there is a afterlife, great.
If not...I won’t care.
Of course you have your war with God to start...so you can kill him and make him suffer like you have stated before.
Best of luck with that.

Not afraid of death. It's very real to me and I couldn't live if I were afraid of dying. I've seen people die and have almost been killed myself more than once.

I am so very aware that you can just be minding your own business and have your life suddenly snatched away.

Well a creature up close vs. a creature from a distance. Is a very different thing.

*nod nod*

I'm not afraid to die, not at all! In fact, during my drug use i tried multiple times to get someone to pull that trigger and put myself in some daring situations just to temp fate. What does frighten me is the fact that my folks and me disagree in higher powers! I was raised southern baptist, believe in Jesus Christ or burn in hell. Well, I think that's a crock of shit! I lean more towards spirituality but I often ponder death and am I going to burn forever because my belief system is different than how my folks raised me?
That is what gets me thinking!!

I'm not afraid to die, not at all! In fact, during my drug use i tried multiple times to get someone to pull that trigger and put myself in some daring situations just to temp fate. What does frighten me is the fact that my folks and me disagree in higher powers! I was raised southern baptist, believe in Jesus Christ or burn in hell. Well, I think that's a crock of shit! I lean more towards spirituality but I often ponder death and am I going to burn forever because my belief system is different than how my folks raised me?
That is what gets me thinking!!
Almost did myself in at 19...was in ICU, then locked up facility until I was “stable”, thing is I happened to be on Paxil at the time...which they no longer give to that age group because of suicidal tendencies.
Anyway...I think Hell is a crock of shit too.
An interesting site regarding suicide and NDEs, there are lots of good links.

Near-Death Experiences and Suicide

family_homecoming.jpg

The following are the near-death experiences of others who attempted suicide and are profiled on other web pages on this website.
I wanted to create this page to consolidate all the experiences caused by a suicide attempt.

You will find these experiencers to be heavenly (like most are) and a relatively few experiences that are less-than-positive.
These experiences are more proof that suicide NDEs are mostly no different than other near-death experiences.

Full article - http://www.near-death.com/experiences/suicide.html

Last edited:
Almost did myself in at 19...was in ICU, then locked up facility until I was “stable”, thing is I happened to be on Paxil at the time...which they no longer give to that age group because of suicidal tendencies.
Anyway...I think Hell is a crock of shit too.
An interesting couple of subjective stories regarding suicide and NDEs.

Various Near-Death Experience Research on Suicide

family_homecoming.jpg

The following are the near-death experiences of others who attempted suicide and are profiled on other web pages on this website.
I wanted to create this page to consolidate all the experiences caused by a suicide attempt.

You will find these experiencers to be heavenly (like most are) and a relatively few experiences that are less-than-positive.
These experiences are more proof that suicide NDEs are mostly no different than other near-death experiences.

Full article - http://www.near-death.com/experiences/suicide.html
http://www.near-death.com/experiences/suicide/various-research.html

I appreciate your response man, when you say did yourself in, did drugs play a role into that?! I was reading about my personality type and I have a tendancie to "Burn Out" easily because I'm a helper type, I help and help and help and don't focus on me and just burn out. Made me umderstand my past a little bit. I just thought ibwas fucking crazy! Lol

I appreciate your response man, when you say did yourself in, did drugs play a role into that?! I was reading about my personality type and I have a tendancie to "Burn Out" easily because I'm a helper type, I help and help and help and don't focus on me and just burn out. Made me umderstand my past a little bit. I just thought ibwas fucking crazy! Lol

I wasn’t on any drugs other than the Paxil prescribed for depression.
I was born depressed.
Honestly, my youngest memories are some of my crying into my Mom’s lap and telling her that I hated myself, that I can’t be happy, that I didn’t understand why.
So it had already been a lifelong struggle up to that point...the fuckery of the Paxil I think pushed me over the edge.
I will not however, attempt it again.
The only checking out early I plan to do is under a euthanasia type situation where I have something terminal and am sparing myself and others pain and suffering.
I found productive outlets for being a “helper” also in the medical field.
I started out driving old folks in wheelchairs to appointments...then became an EMT, then a Paramedic, was briefly in the Coast Guard, worked in a Heart Hospital ER, then because a surgical scrub nurse and for the last 12 years did all types of surgery, the last 6 of which were mostly spent as first assist in the Open Heart suite.
Then the rheumatoid arthritis type I have called “Ankylosing Spondylitis”, where arthritis spread up through your hips and spine, fusing it as it goes, started to really flare up, and the insurance didn’t want to pay for the IV medication that would have stopped it because it was too expensive.
So now I’m disabled...I have constant chronic pain...which exacerbates depression and anxiety...but for the most part I have accepted it and have it mostly under control with medication and meditation.
INFJs can burn out easy if they are doing something that they don’t enjoy or give too much of themselves without taking that time out to recharge.
There is a good portion that just get more and more cynical as they get older...I’m purposefully trying to not do that.
Glad to hear you made it through....glad to hear you are free of the drugs.
So you still have suicidal thoughts? I do, I think many people do...but I also know that I will not act on it again, I promised myself that a long time ago.

Oh, yeah. For sure. Not so much when everything is all peachy, but when I feel hopeless and feel like I can't do it by myself I always go to the suicide option because I'm not one to accept help, I always try and help But it is extremely difficult for me accept help. I struggle with voicing how I feel because from 14 until I have been in and out of jails and institutions, and I firmly believe the system is set up to do away with people instead of offering the assistance they need. Maybe it is something I have made up in my head, but I will die before I go into another cage. So yes, suicide is very real for me. Put drugs on top of that, amplifying my emotions and I'm a fucking trainereck. I feel like I'm back at 14 trying to "grow up" again.

Sorry to hear that your disabled. My old man was shot in an armed robbery when I was a child and suffered severely from mental health issues on top of the shooting trauma & pill addiction, so I understand! It's a tough road, brotha. But this forum is cool, could be my new "support group"! I love the topics and everyone seems real down to earth & willing to give feedback and help to the best of their ability.

Oh, yeah. For sure. Not so much when everything is all peachy, but when I feel hopeless and feel like I can't do it by myself I always go to the suicide option because I'm not one to accept help, I always try and help But it is extremely difficult for me accept help. I struggle with voicing how I feel because from 14 until I have been in and out of jails and institutions, and I firmly believe the system is set up to do away with people instead of offering the assistance they need. Maybe it is something I have made up in my head, but I will die before I go into another cage. So yes, suicide is very real for me. Put drugs on top of that, amplifying my emotions and I'm a fucking trainereck. I feel like I'm back at 14 trying to "grow up" again.

Sorry to hear that your disabled. My old man was shot in an armed robbery when I was a child and suffered severely from mental health issues on top of the shooting trauma & pill addiction, so I understand! It's a tough road, brotha. But this forum is cool, could be my new "support group"! I love the topics and everyone seems real down to earth & willing to give feedback and help to the best of their ability.

I’m sorry that your childhood was rough.
But we can look at it as a disadvantage or as something that has shaped us for the better.
Like a diamond in the rough...it will not shine unless it is cut, split, ground, shaped into your best self.
Glad you have found some solace here, most people are willing to help, and you will find more people can empathize with you than in the everyday world, which is nice.
Also, I have found it refreshing to not have to explain my thinking process to people on the forum because most understand what I mean on a deeper level.
I would suggest that you open yourself up to those who offer you help...this life is a lonely life as it is, no matter who you are...so many people, yet people feel so disconnected and alone.
I also agree that we are not set up to help people...we are set up to make money off them being in prison.
Don’t treat the drug problem, just lock them up.
Best of luck to you.

Working in the funeral industry, I see death in all it's pain, beauty and rawness every day. I don't fear it, but I see the pain it causes to those living, and I fear the knowledge that someday my child may experience the pain of losing me.
Whilst I regularly experience death from the outside, it will be fascinating to experience it from the inside.

Reactions: Austin Griggs
I fear a painful death. I don't however fear moving on from this body. I believe we each have a soul or whatever you want to call it, and that it is eternal.