Do you fear death? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Do you fear death?

I'm sure it can't be that bad, but I can't help feeling badly about it, whether it's the possible pain or the idea of my decomposing body. Apart from that I feel ok about it. I think weirdly, a fear of death makes it harder to let go and live a full life, because of an overwhelming sense of the finiteness of time, and how scarred and futile that can make you feel. In Buddhism they talk about the 4 sufferings as birth, old age, sickness and death...so birth is thought of as just as mush a suffering as death.... And time keeps marching on.

I have never feared death...in fact life is by far the more frightening of the two. However, since losing my brother, and then becoming a mother I have found that I do fear the ramifications my death might have on my loved ones.

Do you fear death?

No.

On an adventure with Milky B, venturing far into dangerous territory. Me to Milky B, "Ok, you go first." LOL LOL
(I kid.)

@Eventhorizon - thank you for sharing such a personal story with us. I'm glad you lived, even though I have no idea who you are irl.

@PintoBean - I agree.

Reactions: Milktoast Bandit
Do you fear death?

No.
Sorry for singling you out Milktoast Bandit, but I just love that answer!
I think it has something to do with the wizley wizard face!
You've got to look above to recapture the moment.

Y'all don't fear death because you're not thinking about it. Death isn't breathing down your neck, and reminding you of all the people you'll never see again.
Having grown up basically nomadic there are a great many people from my past who I will never see again, that doesn't make the time spent together any less.

Once dead I also don't think I will be aware, but my energy of course will still exist and the ripples from my breif time in existence will continue to fade out. Looked at that way no one is ever truly gone

Having grown up basically nomadic there are a great many people from my past who I will never see again, that doesn't make the time spent together any less.

Once dead I also don't think I will be aware, but my energy of course will still exist and the ripples from my breif time in existence will continue to fade out. Looked at that way no one is ever truly gone
I still think any perspective is theoretical until you are actually dying.

Reactions: Siimplicity and Jet
Oh that's a given!
Oh that's a given, but I think some people can fairly accurately extrapolate how they might feel in a given situation.

I also personally think there are fates worse than death, so for me it's not as frightening a prospect.

Reactions: hn87c901
Y'all don't fear death because you're not thinking about it. Death isn't breathing down your neck, and reminding you of all the people you'll never see again.
I agree your point, yet, disagree that we all do.<3 a smart human knows & understands death. "It" is always near. We should treat our others well because we are reminded that we will miss them and hope they would miss is as well.
...after you tussle with death and win the round, it becomes clearer...until then, the adventuresome learn this lesson the hard way :p

very much so
I'd be lying if I said no
the fear of death is constantly hounding me!
maybe it's not physical death that is so frightening
more like having nothing left, being deprived of everything, everyone that I love and value
I have this feeling that the 'good things in life' are somehow finite
I'm more afraid of total loss, total 'bankruptcy' than of dying in its purely physical sense
If there is something after death then this fear of death would vanish
but of course there is no way to know for sure

Yes, I do fear death but I also fear living. I'm afraid that if dying will be painful and long. What if there's nothing ''on the other side''? Just emptiness and endless darkness? Nothing exists anymore.

I'm sure it can't be that bad, but I can't help feeling badly about it, whether it's the possible pain or the idea of my decomposing body. Apart from that I feel ok about it. I think weirdly, a fear of death makes it harder to let go and live a full life, because of an overwhelming sense of the finiteness of time, and how scarred and futile that can make you feel. In Buddhism they talk about the 4 sufferings as birth, old age, sickness and death...so birth is thought of as just as mush a suffering as death.... And time keeps marching on.
That's interesting about the Buddhist concepts of the 4 sufferings. The analogy between birth and death grabs me. I know some hospice nurses think of themselves as midwives of death. The dying process did oddly remind me of birth when I worked in memory care unit that had a lot of hospice residents.