Do you ever feel a sense of disconnect from this era or decade? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Do you ever feel a sense of disconnect from this era or decade?

I should have been born in Rome, a few thousand years ago. I am a anachronistic mistake.

I would say that I do, but I think it would be more accurate to say that I feel a sense of disconnect from my current generation in the US. I relate more to people who grew up in the 1980's, and people of my own generation from certain other countries.

I like the music, the movies, and some of the fashions from back then, even though I wasn't around.

As for today's culture... there are definitely new things being created that I identify with and enjoy. But they're no longer mainstream.

For instance, about 80% of the music I can listen to is from the 80's, mostly rock and pop music. Now, there's music that I can listen to from today, but it's mostly Gothic Metal, Power Metal, and Synthpop bands. Read: Nightwish, Within Temptation, Magica, Lyriel, The Cruxshadows, and Assemblage 23.

For some reason or other, these bands seem to have the same "quality" that I appreciate in mainstream 80's music, but don't seem to find in mainstream music these days.

Last edited:
I think I've always felt slightly disconnected, other than when I was a kid in the 80s on a cartoon-and-70s/80s music diet. Even then, though, in terms of fashion, gender identity, and many other things I marched to the beat of my own drum.

But culturally, I feel a huge difference. My town had around 2000 people in it when I was born. Everyone nodded and greeted one another at the Post Office, everyone held open the doors for one another. It was rare if you went shopping and didn't see someone you knew. Now my town has closer to 7000 people in the city limits and in the 5-digits outlaying. Its more uncommon to run across people you know but I don't feel that excuses the increase in rudeness. People rarely hold open the door at the Post Office. People don't smile and nod at one another if you make eye contact.

In the U.S. I feel that our country has fallen far from the ideals that originally made it a world standard. Discontent is rife among everyone of every political standing and few people seem to see that it starts here at home. How can we be nice to our neighbors if we can't even be nice to one another? Everyone is so bitter, so much hatred is being flung around. I have to feel this influences people, especially younger generations. I know that everyone always thinks younger generations are rotten but with the increase in bullying I honestly have to question that. It never ceases to amaze me how many teens I run across on a daily basis will say rude and obscene things to your face and in public! I don't get it! Its like the 'ability' to bully anonymously on the internet has transferred over to the Real World

I'm nostalgic for the '80s too. There was a great sense of hope and possibilities. Good music, better manners, slower pace, more interesting politics but the fashion though fun was horrendous. If I look back objectively the rot was well under way then. Older people than me usually agree that the '50s were the golden age for my country. They certainly make it sound appealing. I have no love for the current times. This century so far has not lived up to expectations. It's just more effort for less reward and there are inconsiderate, deliberately stupid people everywhere. Oh yes and the beautiful people aren't beautiful at all.

I feel very disconnected morally.

I seem to be the only one in my peer group that I know who feels that cheating is incredibly wrong, who's goal in life is not to have sex with as many people as possible, who thinks marriage is important and who does consider cybering still cheating on ones partner.

I'm also totally uninterested in making myself as physically appealing as possible, which is another thing that many of my friends and aquaintances are obsessive over. Maybe that's why I'm married to an older man. I don't know.

Reactions: z523x4gr98j
All the time, I feel like I am living in the past and future all the time. Not looking foreward or back to those times, but generally at this present moment. I feel like I am in the past and future...

I feel both connected and disconnected. I engage fully in areas I feel are important to me, but the frame of reference I use for this is not planted solely in this time...not by a long shot. I am used to feeling a bit odd, but I'm also grateful for a frame of reference that seems to yield good effects/results in everyday living.

I don't mean to criticize anyone, but I think that this lack of connection is because you are making an active denial of the current era. Perhaps you grew up in the '90s, and connect a lot with that time period of music, art, news, etc. Perhaps it is nostalgic to look back today. But why not simply view it as though you are still growing up? There's plenty around right now that you can develop a similar relation to. By being absorbed in your past, you might just be making it harder for yourself in the present.

For a more concrete example, INFJf wasn't around until 2008 or so. For the older members, this wasn't a part of growing up. But many people still feel a strong connection to this website. (Actually, that's a pretty bad example, because INFJf isn't exactly an element of pop culture, and people here are making connections to others of similar age.)