[PAX] - Do you consciously develop intuition/psychic awareness? | INFJ Forum

[PAX] Do you consciously develop intuition/psychic awareness?

Do you consciously develop intuition/psychic awareness?

• Yes. I spend a fair amount of time working to enhance my intuitive side.

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • No. My intuition works without much conscious effort, so I rarely consider it.

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • I would like to develop my intuitive side, but haven't yet done so.

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

deivejek2|9

Community Member
Dec 21, 2010
MBTI
Enneagram
I'm curious if any of you have thoughts on how to improve intuition or psychic awareness or both?

Recently, I've been working to enhance my psychic awareness, and one of the things I've found is that in order to improve myself psychically, I've also had to pay attention to advancing my intuitive abilities.

I've relied heavily on my introverted thinking function for many years, so it's been hard to go back to the basics. I'm trying to open up and reconnect, but I've also been facing the consequences of letting down walls/filters that have been in place for a long time.

Still, the closer I've gotten to my intuitive side, the more I've felt like I'm existing in my natural state. I'd like to continue enhancing my intuition but still maintain a certain balance. Are there other INFJs out there who have made the move from Ti to Ni+Fe without ending up in a pool of tears?

Last edited:
I think the main key is to keep trying to recreate situations where you felt a strong 'sense' until you get clear on what it's about. I can't say it's the same for you as it is for me, but I ask myself deep probing questions in comfortable silence, pouring out whatever comes to mind until my mind goes blank and I feel a wave coming. It's from this source that I found I do, in fact, believe in God (though what this God is I've still yet to come to a conclusion).

I'd also say that if analytical thoughts are what you think are holding you back, it's best to try opening yourself up to emotionally-charged memories/sentiments and the like. Otherwise meditation is probably your best bet.

Reactions: Gaze
i try to tell who's going to win the next presidential election at least 45 years in advance.

2184: Goldenblauchovichkia wins. he beat out the female transvestite by like 16.4 billion votes, pretty small margin. he got lucky.

ok ok i wont be mean.

Intuition is not clairvoyance, I find them to be starkly different. An estj can be clairvoyant, however an estj isn't going to be intuitive. I see intuition as everyday occurrences, it can be mistaken as psychic phenomena if its not properly recognized and dealt with. But all intuition does is plays out scenarios and how they are going to go. Psychic visions (mine at least) tend to be much more broad and general. I'm not saying you can't be clairvoyant and an intuitive, obviously it's completely possible. But i don't think they're the same at all, and I personally don't really care what a book says about it.

The definition of intuition is knowing the answer, without knowing the steps. (or vice versa)

The definition of clairvoyance is knowing the answer as well, but in a much more... ok I can't quite articulate what I'm looking for. Its just... different.

edit: i am aware you are specifically stating that psychic awareness/clairvoyance aren't the same, but many many people mistake them as the same. The phrase "many infjs have such sharp intuitive skills they know when others are in danger before they sometimes know themselves. and/or they know when someone is in danger even if they have no way of telling." comes to mind

An INFJ will know what that vision is, because its intuitive. An infj who has a clairvoyant experience may not know what it is.

Last edited:
I think the main key is to keep trying to recreate situations where you felt a strong 'sense' until you get clear on what it's about. I can't say it's the same for you as it is for me, but I ask myself deep probing questions in comfortable silence, pouring out whatever comes to mind until my mind goes blank and I feel a wave coming. It's from this source that I found I do, in fact, believe in God (though what this God is I've still yet to come to a conclusion).

I'd also say that if analytical thoughts are what you think are holding you back, it's best to try opening yourself up to emotionally-charged memories/sentiments and the like. Otherwise meditation is probably your best bet.
Thanks, KazeCraven. Yeah, I've been practicing meditation and tai chi daily, and both have helped to some degree. They calm my mind and temporarily mute what I call "psychic noise." I'm hoping those peaceful periods will stick with me longer as I get in more practice.

I know that source well (like an ever present undercurrent of information and emotion?), but am not a theist/deist, which complicates things a bit. I'm very skeptical and scientific by nature (and that's not likely to change), so yes, part of my issue is that I'm quite analytical. The other part is that I'm a sensitive person, and since removing those walls/filters I seem to have become a target for cynics and critics. I can't avoid negative people altogether, so I'm going to have to figure out how to be an open-hearted person in a society that's typically closed-hearted (if that makes any sense).

I'll try out your suggestions. Very much appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Intuition is not clairvoyance, I find them to be starkly different. An estj can be clairvoyant, however an estj isn't going to be intuitive. I see intuition as everyday occurrences, it can be mistaken as psychic phenomena if its not properly recognized and dealt with. But all intuition does is plays out scenarios and how they are going to go. Psychic visions (mine at least) tend to be much more broad and general. I'm not saying you can't be clairvoyant and an intuitive, obviously it's completely possible. But i don't think they're the same at all, and I personally don't really care what a book says about it.
I see what you're saying, saru, and appreciate your response, but this isn't exactly the type of conversation I was hoping to spark in the thread. I should have been more specific. Re: "I'm curious if any of you have thoughts on how to improve intuition or psychic awareness or both?" Do you actively/consciously develop your intuition or your psychic awareness, and if so how do you go about that?

Glad to help. That 'source' is always there, though from my experience the trick is learning which stream is which. I don't have clairvoyance, and I doubt I ever will, but I have picked up on the difference between an idea and my intuition.

Also, I wouldn't worry about the theism. It's more like you are opening yourself up to a powerful source within you. Regardless of whether this actually exists as anything beyond a bundle of neurons in some corner of your brain, I find thinking of it as something outside of yourself that you open up to helps tremendously.

How I think about things and what I actually think is technically true are two entirely different things. Though this can be confusing for some.

o. well... in that case I can't articulate a response :| lo siento.

Reactions: deivejek2|9
I honestly can't really explain how I develop it. Part of it is I have had an innate physic ability in certain areas since I was little. The biggest is sensing "the vibe of the land" around me, and that in turn connects into reading people. It's sort of like I make a conscious decision that I want to work on developing myself in a psychic manner, and the rest sort of follows in suit. I have to make the distinction though that this is not an effortless process. It's as if the effort I put into things not related to this, sort of develops things. I basically first "put the idea out there".

For me, I get signs, feelings, internal messages. These are the things I asked for in a sense, but it's raw. I still have to process it and understand it. By doing so I find myself being more connected to the energy around me, and am able to understand things with greater ease. It honestly makes me feel a lot more peaceful. The way I am wired, I am not meant to be disconnected from this stuff for long periods of time. I do know people who are the other way around. If they're connected too long, they end up being drained. So in reality it depends on the individual if this type of thing will work for you, by emmersing yourself at a low level over a long period of time.

What I find really develops things is when things flow. When inclinations ring true for me, or too-coincidental events happen. I see the solidity of it, and it allows me to intake more messages, and sustain from there. Practice makes perfect in a sense. The spiritual world is not a linear thing. It never has been, and it never will be. Individuals will develop as far as they need to based on where they are. It takes a lot of trust and understanding that things are working. It's not the most satiftying thing in the world to trust it, but that's how it all works in the end.

Reactions: deivejek2|9
I'm curious if any of you have thoughts on how to improve intuition or psychic awareness or both?

Recently, I've been working to enhance my psychic awareness, and one of the things I've found is that in order to improve myself psychically, I've also had to pay attention to advancing my intuitive abilities.

I've relied heavily on my introverted thinking function for many years, so it's been hard to go back to the basics. I'm trying to open up and reconnect, but I've also been facing the consequences of letting down walls/filters that have been in place for a long time.

Still, the closer I've gotten to my intuitive side, the more I've felt like I'm existing in my natural state. I'd like to continue enhancing my intuition but still maintain a certain balance. Are there other INFJs out there who have made the move from Ti to Ni+Fe without ending up in a pool of tears?

I had to stop actively developing about....roughly 3 years ago, because I don't have anyone to take care of me at home in order for me to relax. I know what I need to keep doing in order to re-activate it and re- condition it. At best I am clairvoyant and clairsentient, with information coming in related to the landscape around me (earth, minerals), the Departed, and also things like music being played over electronic airwaves I can "hear" before I get into the building where said music is being piped in. This can happen when I am listening to my OWN music with a walkman and earphones! I have noticed that in the course of my previous attempts at getting better, I can't just take this information in suddenly by myself. Usually I can accurately take it in by making myself more of a conductor: listening to white noise on a walkman, or being elevated off the ground while touching metal - as in riding a bicycle, and receiving this information. In fact - the best overall result I have had is while being actively exercising riding a bicycle outdoors and "picking up" stuff. I even found that I could "see" with the palms of my hands outstretched, to a limited extent (useful when riding a bicycle and wondering if cars or people were behind me........just reach back with my palms and sense them.....)

I find that in isolated conversations with some members of the general public, I won't have to intentionally knock on the door of my subconscious for me to figure out some of what they already "do" in daily life: I just open up my mouth while chatting with them, and I innocently ask them questions off the top of my head. Most questions are found to be correct.

I have never had the time to get into what Ti or Ni+Fe means at all. Would you explain to me what that is in the simplest of terms?

I WISH PSYCHIC LIFE WERE AS SIMPLE AS THEY SHOW ON THE X MEN................. but I'm afraid it isn't.

you may want to find out for yourself, but next time youre around ppl if you can take a sec and just ask yourself, how am i feeling right now? whats happening? am i anxious/relaxed, whats goin on around me? this may feel like simple awareness, but info can really start pouring in if youre in the right setting.

awareness can help loosen things up for me too but one thing ive learned is different strokes for different folks. since ive started trying to understand spirituality and awareness the best advice i think i could give anyone is try everything, figure out what works for you and your schedule. i do practice meditation and inquiry but i wouldnt say its necessary, more like whatever feels right at the time.

What I find really develops things is when things flow. When inclinations ring true for me, or too-coincidental events happen.

couldnt agree more, i wish awareness was something i could just do, but like you said indi it seems its something that happens, i can only invite awareness and be ok if it doesnt happen like i wanted it to. if i try to force it, i find myself getting sucked into a vicious circle of anger, guilt, and sadness so i learned pretty quickly how Not to manipulate my experience or to back off when it wasn't working a certain way.

Inasmuch as intuition is the bridge between the personal and transpersonal aspects of awareness, I have never tried to develop it. Why?

1. I can

I don't think I consciously try to do this, but I do make a real effort to deeply listen to what people are telling me to get a feel for what they are like, and I actively compare this with conversations I have had with them before.

I'm the only one of my group of friends who can for example listen to a friend's opinion on something and point out if it's changed over time.

I listen to voices intently and can almost always tell if someone is lying to me. I can also amost always catch them out in a lie if I work the conversation hard enough.
some of my friends have interpreted this as intuition, but I believe they are probably wrong. I think it's just good memory and assessing skills.

I do actively try to improve these abilities though, because I feel they're useful. A lot of my friends often ask me for my opinion on stuff, and it helps me if I know all I can know about them and their opinions.

I have picked up on the difference between an idea and my intuition.
That's a tough skill to learn. I finally broke down last year and got remote viewing training from one of the soldiers that was part of the CIA's psychic spy program, and that's when this distinction really clicked for me.

I don't have clairvoyance, and I doubt I ever will
My feeling is that everyone's clairvoyant in some sense, so you may yet find that you have skills in that area. Understanding the difference between an idea and intuition is a big part of clairvoyance, and few people fully grasp that understanding.

Something I've been considering these past few months is the possibility that my talent in remote viewing is related to intuitive telepathy vs. clairvoyance. Remote viewing follows very strict protocols, but there are (in my mind) at least two different types... the type in which a target is picked randomly and no one sees it before it's revealed, and the type where someone is sent out in the field and the viewer is meant to identify where that person is at a certain point in time.

I'm always better at the latter. My random target results are often fairly vague. Also, when I'm given a target that someone does see before I do a remote viewing session (particularly if they're in the room), I always get extremely accurate results. I'd like to think that I'm dipping into that source that we've been talking about, but I'm wondering if it's less interesting than that. :) Maybe I'm connecting to other human beings and not to the source. Just something I've been thinking about.

It's more like you are opening yourself up to a powerful source within you. Regardless of whether this actually exists as anything beyond a bundle of neurons in some corner of your brain, I find thinking of it as something outside of yourself that you open up to helps tremendously.
Nicely put. :) This is pretty much where I am at the moment. I fake it until I get results and then I consider the pathway to those results later.

How I think about things and what I actually think is technically true are two entirely different things. Though this can be confusing for some.
Makes sense. I was a Chaos magician for about 15 years, and am familiar with that kind of paradoxical thinking. To be honest, one of the reasons I left that particular path behind was because I wanted the option to build a foundation that was capable of holding less transparent beliefs, on which I could construct a coherent belief system based on those, but I haven't yet moved away from that kind of logic (or anti-logic ;). Being an INFJ, I get the sense I'll never achieve that ideal in full, and that's okay. Keeps me on my toes, if nothing else.

It's nice to speak with someone who understands much of what I'm working through. You've touched on and validated a few concepts I've been rolling around in my head. Thanks again for responding.

I honestly can't really explain how I develop it. Part of it is I have had an innate physic ability in certain areas since I was little.
Same for me, but as you know I closed myself off to this side of myself a few years ago and became sort of robotic. I began relying on Ti and trying to forget about my intuitive and psychic sides in favor of logic and hard fact, so I'm having to work to get back to where I was when I was much younger. It seems that you've never turned away from these parts of yourself (why would you?), and were I more emotionally intelligent growing up I would never have done so myself.

The biggest is sensing "the vibe of the land" around me, and that in turn connects into reading people.
That is such an amazing talent. It's one of those abilities that I've always wanted, but don't have at all. :) Seems like it would come in handy often.

It's sort of like I make a conscious decision that I want to work on developing myself in a psychic manner, and the rest sort of follows in suit. I have to make the distinction though that this is not an effortless process. It's as if the effort I put into things not related to this, sort of develops things. I basically first "put the idea out there".
See, I used to be able to do this, but nothing's coming naturally at this point. I'm still quite clearly blocked in some way (or multiple ways).

The way I am wired, I am not meant to be disconnected from this stuff for long periods of time. I do know people who are the other way around. If they're connected too long, they end up being drained.
I'm definitely like you in this sense. I'm always more at peace when I'm connected to this particular current. That's why I practice tai chi daily... it's the only activity that consistently gives me a direct connection to that inner flow (or transcendental wave or whatever).

When inclinations ring true for me, or too-coincidental events happen. I see the solidity of it, and it allows me to intake more messages, and sustain from there.
For some reason, this came to mind. :)

"When two separate events occur simultaneously pertaining to the same object of inquiry, we must always pay strict attention." -Special Agent, Dale Cooper (Twin Peaks)

Practice makes perfect in a sense. The spiritual world is not a linear thing. It never has been, and it never will be. Individuals will develop as far as they need to based on where they are. It takes a lot of trust and understanding that things are working. It's not the most satiftying thing in the world to trust it, but that's how it all works in the end.
I agree with what you're saying. There are certainly parts of my spiritual and psychic life that will develop as they're meant to when they're meant to. I also believe that there are things I can do to enhance or guide that development, and that's why I decided to post here. I hesitated because it's really personal stuff, but I figured I'd give the [PAX] designation a go. Seems to have (mostly) worked. Then again, I'm not sure anyone actually knows what it means. :)

Thanks, Indigo. As usual, your wisdom and helpful thoughts are more considerable and relevant than you'll probably ever know.

Hi, Seraffa. Thanks for responding.

I had to stop actively developing about....roughly 3 years ago, because I don't have anyone to take care of me at home in order for me to relax.
I may have misread this, but I hope you're alright.

I know what I need to keep doing in order to re-activate it and re- condition it.
That's wonderful. I wish I'd kept the keys to some of these locks.

At best I am clairvoyant and clairsentient, with information coming in related to the landscape around me (earth, minerals), the Departed, and also things like music being played over electronic airwaves I can "hear" before I get into the building where said music is being piped in.
Clairsentience (as well as "the vibe of the land"/information coming from the landscape) looks like a superpower from where I stand. It's one of those talents of which I'm in total awe. Music over the airwaves... I've never thought of, but that makes sense. I have an affinity for electronics, but don't think I have the built-in decoder like you do (sadly).

I just open up my mouth while chatting with them, and I innocently ask them questions off the top of my head. Most questions are found to be correct.
haha... You never get that look (like why are you in my head)? :) Nah, you seem too kind and genuine to scare anyone off. ;)

I have never had the time to get into what Ti or Ni+Fe means at all. Would you explain to me what that is in the simplest of terms?
Certainly. I'll do my best. If my explanation doesn't make sense, you may wish to search the forums and the web for info on "cognitive processes".

Jung proposed that each person has a natural inclination toward 4 of a total of 8 cognitive processes (of which there are 4 introverted, 4 extraverted - Jung spelled it that way, don't ask me why). These were: intuition, sensing, thinking, and feeling. Myers and Briggs came along later and used Jung's 8 cognitive processes theory as a base for MBTI (Keirsey pretty much ignores cognitive functioning). The 4 letter designations in MBTI actually reference 4 cognitive processes and their order within that personality type. For example, INFJ isn't simply "introverted, intuitive, feeling, judging." INFJ specifies the following cognitive processes.

Dominant: Introverted iNtuition (Ni)
Auxiliary: Extraverted Feeling (Fe)
Tertiary: Introverted Thinking (Ti)
Inferior: Extraverted Sensing (Se)

Whereas, ENFP (the opposite of INFJ in terms of cognitive processes) is...

Dominant: Extraverted iNtuition (Ne)
Auxiliary: Introverted Feeling (Fi)
Tertiary: Extraverted Thinking (Te)
Inferior: Introverted Sensing (Si)

It gets pretty convoluted from this point on, but the basic premise is that the dominant process in our individual personality types requires less energy than using our auxiliary, tertiary, or inferior processes. As INFJs, it takes us a fair amount of energy to use our Introverted Thinking (Ti) process, but an INTP's dominant process is Introverted Thinking (Ti), so they do it quickly and without losing much energy.

As INFJs, we're in a more natural state when we're using our Introverted iNtuition (Ni) and Extraverted Feeling (Fe) processes. This is what I was trying to get across when I mentioned that I'd been relying too heavily on my Ti process (our logical, critical, perfectionist side) and trying to get back to Ni+Fe (intuition and feeling).

Hope that helps somewhat. Again, you may have to do a bit of reading and get involved in some discussions in order to gain a comprehensive understanding of the theory.

I WISH PSYCHIC LIFE WERE AS SIMPLE AS THEY SHOW ON THE X MEN................. but I'm afraid it isn't.
The more I read, the more I realize how easy I have it. I have one talent (either clairvoyance or telepathy - in the process of working that out) and it isn't a burden. I've never really felt like a freak like the kids in X-Men, either. :) Someone like yourself, who's been forced to deal with many psychic talents, no doubt has a much harder time keeping things in check.

Iechyd da, Seraffa. ;)

you may want to find out for yourself, but next time youre around ppl if you can take a sec and just ask yourself, how am i feeling right now? whats happening? am i anxious/relaxed, whats goin on around me? this may feel like simple awareness, but info can really start pouring in if youre in the right setting.
That's an excellent idea. Thanks, bagelriffic. I've been spending a lot of time hiding out at home recently because since opening up those walls/filters that I mentioned I've been very uncomfortable in crowded, public areas. I get flooded by what I call "psychic noise." I used to be able to sort through that and make sense of it, but it's all kind of a jumble now. I realize I won't learn how to deal with it if I'm locked away all day, so I should probably do exactly what you've suggested (and likely will).

the best advice i think i could give anyone is try everything, figure out what works for you and your schedule. i do practice meditation and inquiry but i wouldnt say its necessary, more like whatever feels right at the time.
Part of my problem, I think, is that I'm still intellectualizing the process, so what you're saying makes sense on many levels. I'm just going to have to bump into a few more closed doors before I find the one I'm meant to walk through. :) I certainly don't expect immediate results from anything I'm trying to achieve.

Hearing your words and listening to others' experiences and ideas has definitely been a step forward, so thank you. I've been spending too much time around people who passive aggressively ridicule me for my belief in certain forms of psychic phenomena, and that stunts growth (no matter how secure one is in their beliefs).

Inasmuch as intuition is the bridge between the personal and transpersonal aspects of awareness, I have never tried to develop it. Why?
Interesting, aeon. I guess the best I can do then is learn to recognize when intuition is at work. I suppose that's what I've been doing, but you've introduced a slightly different angle that's worth some consideration. Thanks.

Hi Galileo :)

I don't think I consciously try to do this, but I do make a real effort to deeply listen to what people are telling me to get a feel for what they are like, and I actively compare this with conversations I have had with them before.
Interesting. I don't think I compare current conversations to past (I tend to find myself too immersed in the moment or completely aloof), but I do listen deeply. Seems like that would be a valuable ability, however.

I'm the only one of my group of friends who can for example listen to a friend's opinion on something and point out if it's changed over time.
Again, a skill I wish I had. :) Do you recall the details of conversations well, also?

I listen to voices intently and can almost always tell if someone is lying to me. I can also amost always catch them out in a lie if I work the conversation hard enough.
For me, this comes about through a general feeling. I don't really have the lie detector, but can tell what a person is truly feeling, whether or not they're trying to get something else across.

I do actively try to improve these abilities though, because I feel they're useful. A lot of my friends often ask me for my opinion on stuff, and it helps me if I know all I can know about them and their opinions.
I'm not sure the work I've put forth has helped me enhance my intuition or psychic awareness (I feel like it has), but I'm going to keep at it. Well, I (and no doubt your friends) appreciate you sharing your thoughts. Talking with you and others about this has been comforting and beneficial. I'm feeling a lot less... I don't know... chaotic.

Again, a skill I wish I had. Do you recall the details of conversations well, also?

yes. and this is something about me that annoys people. mainly because I can recall almost word for word what someone has said and they can't try and claim that they said something else, mainly because people trust my memory to be accurate. there was a section on memory in the IQ test I did and I scored perfectly in that section. I also recall without thinking, I can't explain how I do it. but I tried to fail that IQ test, because I didn't want to attend the selective school, yet I couldn't fake that part, part of me knew that if I failed that section they would know I was actively trying to do porly, but it's also just automatic, I don't have to think about it, someone asks me what they said at a certain point in time and I just come upt with it.

I was a sligh 11 year old. I scored 2 points under what was required for entry into that school...lol

Hi Zak

I know you have fed your intuition a really interesting and varied diet; have you done any work on releasing your Kundelini? (which is something i want to work on myself)

As you know Raja yoga is meant to be good for working on the mind, but perhaps for different purposes?