[PAX] - Do you consciously develop intuition/psychic awareness? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

[PAX] Do you consciously develop intuition/psychic awareness?

Do you consciously develop intuition/psychic awareness?

• Yes. I spend a fair amount of time working to enhance my intuitive side.

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • No. My intuition works without much conscious effort, so I rarely consider it.

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • I would like to develop my intuitive side, but haven't yet done so.

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters
I have never consciously developed it. It was just there..
I realize now, that the times where I was most open and relying on emotions and feelings that my intuition seemed heightened.
Maybe I was relying more on one side of the brain. Can you do that? Go through phases where you are more right brain orientated than left brain orientated?

Anyway I mean, I had some dreams in which I gained understanding or pieces of future knowledge of a situation or about a person. Most of my psychic awareness has been in dreams. It never happened often and I could not consciously control it.... Though there have been times where I've meditated outside in my own way--just focused on the sensations around me and a thought has occurred. I remember sitting outside by the cottage I used to rent and making myself very aware of the way everything looked and felt and smelled that night.. and a thought occurred to me that, "love is on his way." It was so weird, I wrote the experience down with the date. The very next week I met my SO who I've been with since. I only noticed that connection when I went back and read my journal a few months ago. Coincidence? Could be. Probably is. Who actually knows about these things... But maybe there is something to slowing down the mind and making oneself in tune with the vibrations around them. haha.. I sound crazy.

It's hard to explain. Anyway, right now, I feel like I'm going through this period of life with blinders on.. I don't have the time to sit and consider my feelings or anything outside of the realm of finishing school. I haven't been able to rely on gut feelings so much lately because I'm feeling very anxious about assignments and failing school and then ending up homeless..(basically, freaking out about life.)
Maybe working on feeling calm and relaxed will help you to develop those abilities as well... I am sure it's what would help me to get back into that mode.

Last edited:
I'm still trying to figure out if i actually have good intuition because i question whether i have this at all. There are some moments where i just know something is working, and others where it doesn't. And i'd love to find the formula and market it :D. But i guess, being observant, taking note of the instances in which you had a feeling and were proven correct, and looking at patterns which emerge on how you thought, how you were feeling, and or your general state of mind when it occured. I do think intuition works best when you're in tune with yourself as a person and when you're most in tune with your natural gifts of thoughtfulness and perception. My P works against my intuition.

I know you have fed your intuition a really interesting and varied diet; have you done any work on releasing your Kundelini? (which is something i want to work on myself)
Hi muir :)

I've worked (conceptually) with the chakras, and on various occasions have experienced temporary states where the kundalini channel is open and active. It's been a while, but I may experiment with that again. Thanks for bringing it up.

As you know Raja yoga is meant to be good for working on the mind, but perhaps for different purposes?
I utilize pranayama sometimes, but haven't done Raja Yoga for many years. A friend of mine gave me a year-long membership to a yoga center, and I went regularly throughout that year, but didn't renew after the membership expired. During that time, I'd discovered Tai Chi and I felt (still feel) more at home with it. I've practiced Tai Chi every day since, and continue to get a lot out of it. When I don't practice daily, I start to feel that energy (chi? mana? whatever you want to call it :)) draining out of me, and I feel disconnected from the current/source that I've spoken with others about in this thread.

I appreciate your thoughtful reply, muir.

I have never consciously developed it. It was just there..
I've never consciously done so either. I guess that's why I'm exploring that now.

I realize now, that the times where I was most open and relying on emotions and feelings that my intuition seemed heightened.
Interesting. That's been my experience, as well (and maybe the other way around, too, if that's possible). I seem to have sealed off parts of myself and put on blinders, and I woke up one morning to that realization. Something about that felt wrong, which is part of why I'm curious about others' experiences.

Maybe I was relying more on one side of the brain. Can you do that? Go through phases where you are more right brain orientated than left brain orientated?
Sure. And you've made a good point here... that things other than intuition/psychic functioning need to be considered and worked on in order to enhance other parts of yourself and create a personal balance within oneself.

Anyway I mean, I had some dreams in which I gained understanding or pieces of future knowledge of a situation or about a person. Most of my psychic awareness has been in dreams.
That's cool. I rarely have dreams of a psychic nature, but have always found this sort of thing fascinating. As you're no doubt aware, that's something that could be worked on and developed further. It requires a lot of effort (and time that you don't have right now :)), but there are some great books out there on dreams, lucid dreaming, OBEs, precognition, and the like.

I only noticed that connection when I went back and read my journal a few months ago. Coincidence? Could be. Probably is. Who actually knows about these things... But maybe there is something to slowing down the mind and making oneself in tune with the vibrations around them. haha.. I sound crazy.
Trust me, you don't sound crazy (at least to most of us posting in this thread ;). It's great that you have (had) a journal. That was the key that allowed me to remember and decipher my own dreams. Coincidence... I don't believe in many things (despite how I may be coming across in this post), and coincidence is one of those things I have a tough time believing in. It may have been coincidence, but your experience seems significant. I bet you'd have a hard time proving to yourself that it was a coincidence. My feeling in this sort of situation is why not believe it? It doesn't hurt anyone and you're not losing sanity points. :) If you were one of those people who thought nothing was ever a coincidence, I'd worry. haha

It's hard to explain. Anyway, right now, I feel like I'm going through this period of life with blinders on.. I don't have the time to sit and consider my feelings or anything outside of the realm of finishing school.
Yeah, exactly. The blinders. That's what I did all through college, and that's when I started leaning heavily on Ti (logic, perfectionism). I'd have never made it through school without those blinders, though, so I understand where you're coming from.

I haven't been able to rely on gut feelings so much lately because I'm feeling very anxious about assignments and failing school and then ending up homeless..(basically, freaking out about life.)
I wish I'd have found Tai Chi before I went to college. I'm not saying Tai Chi's for everyone, simply that I think there are many ways to make your stay in the academic asylum easier (that I didn't exercise). I probably should have been more physically active, in general.

Maybe working on feeling calm and relaxed will help you to develop those abilities as well... I am sure it's what would help me to get back into that mode.
That makes sense. Thanks. I'll likely put more energy into this over the next couple of weeks. Feeling calm and relaxed isn't my specialty (as I'm sure is the case with many INFJs). I've been able to calm my mind and body temporarily (Tai Chi and simple meditation), but it's something I'll probably always have to work on. Sounds like you're also trying to find what works for you.

Hi muir :)

I've worked (conceptually) with the chakras, and on various occasions have experienced temporary states where the kundalini channel is open and active. It's been a while, but I may experiment with that again. Thanks for bringing it up.

If you do venture into kundalini just be ready for dust to be shaken off things that have been ignored. It's very good and opening, but can be rough for the first part of it. It also can take a few years to completely opening it and trigger full risings.

I'm still trying to figure out if i actually have good intuition because i question whether i have this at all. There are some moments where i just know something is working, and others where it doesn't.
My feeling on this is that intuition is tough to pin down or identify when it's in action. I know I don't recognize it working most of the time. So, you may have it, but it might be so intrinsic in your personality that you don't often notice it.

And i'd love to find the formula and market it :D.
haha... Great idea. Though, I've occasionally wondered if people who don't have intuition would want it. It might unwind their linear, logical, or predictable connections to reality. :)

But i guess, being observant, taking note of the instances in which you had a feeling and were proven correct, and looking at patterns which emerge on how you thought, how you were feeling, and or your general state of mind when it occured.
Thanks. I plan on doing more of these kinds of exercises over the next couple of weeks. One of the most useful skills I picked up in remote viewing training was how to look at things without immediately applying labels... looking at things from different angles and taking in all the pieces that make something up. I think if I apply these ideas to your suggestions I'll be a step closer to what I'm trying to achieve.

I do think intuition works best when you're in tune with yourself as a person and when you're most in tune with your natural gifts of thoughtfulness and perception. My P works against my intuition.
That I've got down. I know myself and am in tune with who I am... maybe too much sometimes. :) The closer I got to myself, the more sensitive I became. Strangely, my intuitive and psychic abilities didn't seem to return along with that sensitivity. Maybe part of the problem is that I'm not looking at things from the appropriate angle.

Your P works against your intuition? I'm not sure what your personality type is. No, wait, it's "." apparently. ;)

Reactions: Gaze
If you do venture into kundalini just be ready for dust to be shaken off things that have been ignored. It's very good and opening, but can be rough for the first part of it. It also can take a few years to completely opening it and trigger full risings.
Fortunately (maybe unfortunately at certain moments), I've been through this. That door has been swung wide open on two occasions. The first was during a series of rituals I did while in college. I was a mess for a good year, and didn't feel like I was back on a balanced plateau for another year or so.

Many years later, I revisited the experience in a very different context. There was a lot of healing that needed to be done, in part because of how I opened the door the first time. The second time was far less tumultuous overall, but it was about a year before things came to a natural balance again.

But it was worth it and I have no regrets about either experience. Sure, everything that I hadn't dealt with (some things I didn't even know I needed to deal with) came flooding at me, and I was forced to take on everything in a compact period of time, but I'd rather that than have it all sitting around, causing my insides to decay.

I had a similar experience during the process of becoming a Reiki master. There is a series of what Reiki practitioners call "attunements" that I went through (supposedly opening channels and enhancing energy), and you might think it would have been the last attunement that resembled the kundalini experience, but it was the first. I had a bunch of stuff hanging out that needed attention, and the attunement brought all of it to my attention.

I have tried to develop 'psychic' abilities. No luck.

You can develop intuition though. I'd recommend Reiki and trying many different meditation styles.

I have tried to develop 'psychic' abilities. No luck.

You can develop intuition though. I'd recommend Reiki and trying many different meditation styles.
Thanks, Dragon. I'm a Reiki master, but to be honest Reiki isn't a tool that I use frequently. I know, I'm horrible. :) It's silly to have gone through all of the training and not use it. However, it is always active and constantly doing something positive in my life whether I'm consciously directing Reiki energy or not.

As I mentioned to Indigo, when I received my first attunement in Reiki, all sorts of things in my life were brought to the surface that needed to be taken care of. Sifting through that mess and sorting things out taught me a fair amount of patience and brought me to an understanding of myself and others that I wouldn't have otherwise come to. Reiki was great for helping me become a more open and compassionate person and certainly improved my intuition, so many thanks for bringing it up.

As for psychic development, if you don't feel like you have natural talents, you might consider the possibility that some of the things you do daily and take for granted... the way your mind functions, the manner in which you interpret or transmit information, how you interact with people... might be psychic in nature. Not all psychic abilities are distinct or obvious, and sometimes those that aren't are more powerful and useful than those that are. In case this wasn't clear, I don't think of psychic phenomena as supernatural or outside the realm of science, so I don't see why seemingly mundane cognitive skills that are yet to be classified couldn't be considered psychic talents, as well.

i try to tell who's going to win the next presidential election at least 45 years in advance.

2184: Goldenblauchovichkia wins. he beat out the female transvestite by like 16.4 billion votes, pretty small margin. he got lucky.

ok ok i wont be mean.

Intuition is not clairvoyance, I find them to be starkly different. An estj can be clairvoyant, however an estj isn't going to be intuitive. I see intuition as everyday occurrences, it can be mistaken as psychic phenomena if its not properly recognized and dealt with. But all intuition does is plays out scenarios and how they are going to go. Psychic visions (mine at least) tend to be much more broad and general. I'm not saying you can't be clairvoyant and an intuitive, obviously it's completely possible. But i don't think they're the same at all, and I personally don't really care what a book says about it.

The definition of intuition is knowing the answer, without knowing the steps. (or vice versa)

The definition of clairvoyance is knowing the answer as well, but in a much more... ok I can't quite articulate what I'm looking for. Its just... different.

edit: i am aware you are specifically stating that psychic awareness/clairvoyance aren't the same, but many many people mistake them as the same. The phrase "many infjs have such sharp intuitive skills they know when others are in danger before they sometimes know themselves. and/or they know when someone is in danger even if they have no way of telling." comes to mind

An INFJ will know what that vision is, because its intuitive. An infj who has a clairvoyant experience may not know what it is.

I scored very high on a spacial relations exam. Not really the same as intuition, I don't think. But there might be similarities. When I asked what spacial relations were, it was explained as knowing the answer, but either without knowing how or why or by what deductive reasoning you came to the conclusion.

I guess I've always experienced intuition the same. For me it's just having the answer and not really knowing why.
But spacial relations and intuition I think are different. And clairvoyance I always thought of as more in-tune with the mystical or metaphysical.

I've had some very clear and awesome experiences. But there's always a part of me that wonders if I'm having a flash back or forgetting to breath. It's never predictable and I don't seem to be able to tap into any ability. I can see lights, especially at night laying in bed, or early morning. A light or cloud will move in and hang out in a corner or part of a wall. One night I woke up and something was in the corner up by the ceiling. A pretty bright light or glow.
I didn't notice at first, just thought it was morning except my room stays dark and it was 3:00 am.

The glow stayed a while and I watched it leave the room. I have no idea what it was or who. I was told they are spirits. Sounds like fun. It happens a lot but again I just assume my eyes are going. They don't talk to me. They start doing that I think I'll freak out. Lol.

But I always thought that was more clairvoyance than intuition.

Last edited:
I don't really believe in the idea of "psychic powers", but I guess I can intensify my intuitive experience to some extent. I just tell myself to focus and "think harder" lol, or to lose sense of my body more in order to delve deeper into other forms of intelligence and emotion, I guess. With Ne and Fe, I can feel myself getting that energy from the environment, so I let myself be immersed in it. With Ni and Fi, I guess it kind of does feel kind of psychic because the energy comes from a feeling of inner stillness and intensity lol. I imagine it could become easier to accesss the more habitually you use it. I don't think I've consciously tried to develop it as a skill, but there are times when I try to tap deeper into it with conscious effort. I constantly would like to become smarter though, and I'm consciously trying to be more knowledgable and have a better mind, even if intuition as a skill isn't really something I've given much thought to.

Expose yourself to people who posess the qualities you want to work on. It'll help you redirect your thought process, and you can pick it up through osmosis. I do that to develop my third and forth functions. I rely on my Ni, to the point where I wish I could trade it in for another primary function, as it seems otherworldly sometimes, and I have a hard time asserting myself with people who don't know me, as there is nothing concrete to base myself on. Just my word. Like, yesterday, why did I abruptly pick up and abandon one patient, only to run to the end of the unit where my Ni told me to go? Because I started feeling the symptoms of anoxia, and my Ni made me Jump up. I automatically started to scan the unit, not knowing why, just going on a hunch, only to find a man going into respiratory arrest. I revived him, thank God. Those abilities are getting spookily stronger, and I think that it's because I've humoured my hunches over several years.

Reactions: jyrffw54
I take in all sensory data and trust my gut.

Still bad with empathy, though.

Those abilities are getting spookily stronger, and I think that it's because I've humoured my hunches over several years.
I try to indulge them too and it's really been a good thing, however nutty the whole idea may seem.
Generally speaking I don't know if I'm developing something or if the something's developing me, and I'm don't know if it's just me and if so, what that is that is me then...I don't know what label to pin on the whole process, what results and do I need to even do that in any case. :)
I think as a creative person I haven't really needed to examine the whole thing logically very much. If it ain't broke, don't fix it... ;D
I do have to take in considerations my own moods though. I've noticed unresolved emotional issues really just disrupt the whole process and my intuition doesn't work if there's some unresolved issues blocking me. I usually write down my dreams to find clues as to what the issue is.

I try to indulge them too and it's really been a good thing, however nutty the whole idea may seem.
Generally speaking I don't know if I'm developing something or if the something's developing me, and I'm don't know if it's just me and if so, what that is that is me then...I don't know what label to pin on the whole process, what results and do I need to even do that in any case. :)
I think as a creative person I haven't really needed to examine the whole thing logically very much. If it ain't broke, don't fix it... ;D
I do have to take in considerations my own moods though. I've noticed unresolved emotional issues really just disrupt the whole process and my intuition doesn't work if there's some unresolved issues blocking me. I usually write down my dreams to find clues as to what the issue is.

Cheers to that

[Space for my response]

no psychic powers but I think you can sharpen your accuracy of your intuition through experience and learning to be pick on up things in our environment, being more socially and emotionally aware can sharpen observation skills. I think we'll naturally sharpen those skills we use and develop the most. Much of it happens without our awareness. Based on the subjects I study, I am more "naturally" aware of things related to those areas because of exposure and study. Although I'd love to believe I have a "natural" awareness of things, I don't. It's for the most part developed over time. One thing I find really awesome though is that when I retreat internally and drown out outside feeling or opinions, I tend to see things more clearly, and develop an unusual insight into myself or others. It's pretty cool. Thing is, not sure how to recognize if I was intuitive, because I doubt myself so often or question my initial feelings or impressions. And oddly enough, my sometimes high sensitivity, which is otherwise considered a weakness, is best at picking up on things.

to quote jefferson airplane: 'feed your head'

to quote jefferson airplane: 'feed your head'

What does that mean? "feed your head".

Does it mean "acquire knowledge"?

I look for knowledge all the time - but often I find myself not trying out the knowledge. It's at those times I sit with it - use it - apply it - and screw up at it - that wisdom finally emerges. :tongue:

I have been practicing a meditation where the purpose is to "Align myself with the Cosmos and Awaken my Kundalini". It was not my intention to do so when I randomly ran across the video. But I tried it....and then tried it again... and then found myself undergoing some very much needed emotional cleansing and therefore kept at it. I was surprised at what has occurred....

Then... someone told me it might be dangerous.....that people have become ill - either physically or mentally or both.

So I stopped for a while until I could find something - anything - to help me make sense of what was happening to me and the alleged potential for damage. There isn't much out there...

I did find a book I'm reading called "Kundalini Rising". It is a collection of 24 essays from people who have experienced their awakenings.

" ....comprises 24 essays on different aspects of the kundalini experience, including what transpersonal psychologists have to say about kundalini, ; understanding the yogic brain from a scientific perspective; the relationship between near-death experiences and kundalini awakening; understanding the relationship between kundalini energy and sexual energy; yogic exercises to catalyze the kundalini process; the role that kundalini awakening plays in the unfolding of our highest human potential; and more."

I was fortunate to find this book and read the introduction - for shortly after I read it I had some weird body reaction during several of the meditations a couple of weeks ago. When it began happening I recognized it as part of the process and just relaxed into the flow. So far I feel great! I don't think I'm any more insane than when I began.... heh heh...[she giggles maniacally]

A few days ago I watched this beautiful video describing the 5 levels of awakening based upon personal experiences of 4 or 5 people. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixJRwAeZqQU

I feel I have a better understanding of what it means to go through the kundalini awakening process. I will continue to read the book - though.

If anyone has any resources that help one to understand - or do - the kundalini awakening process - I'd welcome any and all.

Thanks.

@Kgal

I mean take in input of all kinds. Feed your intuition

This could be experiences it could be knowledge it could be meditation, psychadelics whatever. All these things are stressors and can induce altered states of consciousness and new perspectives

Even challenging life events can act as stressors that can change us as people....its all part of what i mean by 'feed your head' because we are having a life experience here. There are of course risks with seeking out stressors but i think seeing life as an experience is a pretty healthy attitude because it becomes easier to ride out the peaks and troughs because after all they are all part of the experience

Concerning kundalini i can only speak to you about it theoretically....you'd be better speaking to someone who can speak to you about it from experience. Its one thing knowing something and another thing truely understanding it isn't it? Knowledge is a false sphere on the tree of life! ('Daath'....as in darth vader....'fear is the path to the dark side'....and all that!)

I'm pretty sure that the cadeuceus rod of hermes with the snakes winding up it are representing the subtle energies of the body. hermes was of course associated with healing and his rod is still used today as a symbol of the medical profession

One is for water and one is for fire. So theoretically we are talking about raising energies from the base of the spine up through the chakra points to the crown chakra where the pineal gland is going to fire up and give you one hell of an experience! The pineal gland being the producer of the same chemical (DMT?) that gives us dreams and near death experiences

There is a method for managing this amritsa, manna, ambrosia which is released from the pineal gland but i am not adept so i cannot say how. If you put the tip of your tongue onto the roof of your mouth and move it backwards towards the back of your mouth you will find a soft part with a furrow in it. The food of the gods flows down through this part and there is some method for using your tongue to stop it from lowering down through the body (and being released through sexual fluids. The grail story i recounted in my blog is about sex magick) so that you can then induce your illuminating experience

The egyptians used to take the fluid from the pineal gland of the dead pharoah and give it to the new pharoah who would then travel to the stars to be crowned by the celestial hierarchy. This king making secret passed down possibly via the hebrews and into europe. The skulls of merovinigian kings were trepanned (google it) which suggests that they were doing what i'm talking about.....you won't read that in a history textbook though! (cos the judeo-christian establishment don't want schmucks on the street knowing too much)

So kundalini yoga is obviously about raising the 'serpent power'. Crowley published 8 lectures on yoga, jung wrote something on it and i've been recommended yogaaphorisms by patanjali

There are risks because we are talking about changing mental states and also about changing physiology. Pranayama can induce asthma, meditation can be used to change the function of the brain for example it does something with the flow of alpha waves to the frontal cortex or something like that, drugs can mess people up, energies can flow prematurely blowing peoples circuitry etc

There's even a name for it 'kundelini syndrome'

I guess the best approach is to do your research, talk to people, and take things slow....let your intuition guide you (you know the drill!)

....and as for 'sanity'...you and i both know its overrated lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Kgal