Do you believe in Religion or God for that matter? | Page 7 | INFJ Forum

Do you believe in Religion or God for that matter?

Do you believe in God?

• I believe in religion and god

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • I dont believe in religion but I do believe in god

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • I dont believe in religion or god

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • If there was a god smiffy wouldnt spell this bad!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I believe in God. But I don't believe because it is comforting, or familiar, or expected of me... I have had some very unique personal experiences that absolutely defy any scientific explanation. I'm definitely the outcast in the scientific laboratory where I work, but I would be willing to bet my life on it... again. I don't like to impose my beliefs on people, so I actually wrote a memoir on the experiences that I've had, giving people the choice of whether or not they'd like to know more.

As far as religion, I'm one of the very few who actually loves their religion. I'm Greek Orthodox; a peaceful, unimposing, beautiful, fun-loving religion that has managed to stay out of the spotlight for two thousand years. Many of the experiences I've had have occurred within my religion. I feel that when religion has not been corrupted by people, it can be very complimentary to a belief in God. It is such a tragedy how so many religions seem just the opposite.

Last edited:
Reactions: nfuerfuau3873
I'm agnostic born into a family with GERNERATIONS of very religous catholics. Now my parents never forced religion onto my sister and I rather they raised us with with good morals.

This being I do self research on other religions. Though I don't plan on converting my beliefs anytime soon, I do this so I can understand others and their beliefs. I prefer not to be one-sided .(thats where conflict arises if one remains ignorant to others ideas,beliefs, religion, etc.)

Being destined for hell based on your belief would be a worry..... if there was a hell.

Luckily I am of the opinion that once your dead... you are dead. You gently float off into oblivion, an eternal sleep that you will never wake from. You don't dream, you're not conscious nor sub conscious. You don't exist anymore..

Now to most here, I KNOW they will find this morbid, depressive, pessimistic. Funnily enough, I don't at all. I don't believe there is a life after death, and honestly I can't even tell you if I would be pleasantly surprised to find there was life after death when it was my time.

Don't get me wrong, I love life. But there is something attractive about oblivion.

These are purely my own thoughts and feelings... So I am not wrong. Neither am I destined to hell and the only person who can truly be sure of whether we are or not, is someone who has been and come back.

Last edited:
I believe in God because I don't think that we're all here by coincidence. Also i don't know why beauty would exist if we were all here by chance and for no reason. Or emotions really. I enjoy religion and the tradition of it, but I don't necessarily believe in it. It is a comfort to me, but I wouldn't go any deeper than that.

I believe in God because I don't think that we're all here by coincidence. Also i don't know why beauty would exist if we were all here by chance and for no reason. Or emotions really. I enjoy religion and the tradition of it, but I don't necessarily believe in it. It is a comfort to me, but I wouldn't go any deeper than that.

When you consider the fact that us being here scientifically had like a one in a thousand billion chance to happen... but when you consider there are more galaxies than that out there, each with its own star systems, it was bound to happen somewhere, we are just lucky it happened here.

Beuty is an abstract. Beauty is an idea born of our cognative developement, and when you really think about the purpose of beauty... it's pretty pointless. I mean if you are desperately critical, it really has no use. Another side of beuty is that it is a matter of personal opinion. I may think a swamp is beautiful, and you might not. That means beauty is not a concrete, definite element. It is subjective, making it individualistic, thus adding to the whole point of it being directly linked to our developed cognative ability rather than something that actually exists.

When you consider the fact that us being here scientifically had like a one in a thousand billion chance to happen... but when you consider there are more galaxies than that out there, each with its own star systems, it was bound to happen somewhere, we are just lucky it happened here.

Beuty is an abstract. Beauty is an idea born of our cognative developement, and when you really think about the purpose of beauty... it's pretty pointless. I mean if you are desperately critical, it really has no use. Another side of beuty is that it is a matter of personal opinion. I may think a swamp is beautiful, and you might not. That means beauty is not a concrete, definite element. It is subjective, making it individualistic, thus adding to the whole point of it being directly linked to our developed cognative ability rather than something that actually exists.

You have a ridiculously good way of getting your point across! Like your point on it being linked to our developed cognative ability!

Still though the fact were all here! There's got to be something, cant really proof or disproof the existence of God!

You have a ridiculously good way of getting your point across! Like your point on it being linked to our developed cognative ability!

Still though the fact were all here! There's got to be something, cant really proof or disproof the existence of God!

Hmmm I agree you cannot prove the existance... and I suppose because of that you cannot disprove it as they go hand in hand (you can only be sure of one if you are about the other). However, you can explain why the 'Idea' of God came into existance.
The strength of our mind is also its weakness. We are able to understand and learn things and invent, which no animal on this earth has ever been able to baost to our knowledge. However, that driving curiosity is also what evokes a huge amount of fear in us. We have the natural need/desire to understand, and in every single history of every race of humanity, what have we done to that which we don't understand...
Well we can't destroy death, so we explained it away.
People who believe in God etc, basically don't believe in death... and death is very much a fact. The "after-life" is the biggest oxymoron anyone ever came up with, but it helps with that fear... so it is absorbed.

Last edited:
Yeah I don't tend to focus on death and afterlife much, I'm more spiritual I like doing nice things for people well because even the smallest act can better the world, if everyone tried to take that approach well Earth would be brillant. I know one die hard Christian (not to be taking as all Christians) she just likes to follow her faith blindly while not questioning her beliefs which is dangerous)

I also have a theory of those who go from a life of drink/drugs to one of faith and good is basically just replacing one addiction to another. They find nice people and basically get the care they need from each other, strictly speaking you could get that feeling from any group AA for instance?

Basically I would like to see more non religous groups that focus more on doing good things which are observable to people! I volunteer with a Christian voluntary society which Ironically enough more than half the members arent religous and those who are, never try and convert people its great!

To be honest I find all that faith stuff to be selfish in the highest tier.
Let's look at it a minute. Christians try to 'better' the world, they voluntier, they give to the church (pffft) they preach about slapping both cheeks and giving jackets to one another.
"But Khloriael.. how the goodness gracious me is that selfish?"
Well, I'm glad you asked strange voice, the reason I personally feel this is selfish is because these things are not being done to better other peoples lives. They are being done to affirm their place in heaven. In fact really, Christians are preying on the misfortune of others to guarantee their spot... when you think of it like that it is no better than convincing a mentally handicapped individual to part with something of great value... end of the day if this world was perfect, there would be nothing to do that would guarantee your 'spot' up there.
This makes me wonder about all those bible teachings about not enjoying yourself and not giving into temptation... hmm anyways...

An ideal world can be clinched if one rule is applied...

Golden Rule: DON'T look after yourself... only ever look after others

"But Khloriael.... who is going to look after me?"
Another excellent question Mr. Voice... the answer

Six billion other people. The general idea behind this is that six billion people looking after you is better than one person looking after you (yourself). This of course is a very childish view of things because this will never happen. We need the downtrodden to be 'better'. I mean, here I am enjoying myself, tapping away on my computer which I can happily afford whilst there are people who can't afford their next meal.
One person being totally selfless though will only be taken advantage of.

It comes back to a point made by a previous poster about how those who are truly virtuous are never appreciated. We need the anguish in the world because it makes smart/oppurtunist people richer...

Last edited:
I doubt all religious people are trying to "buy" their way into heaven. Let's not talk in absolutes.

I doubt all religious people are trying to "buy" their way into heaven. Let's not talk in absolutes.

Well, they used to in the middle ages. It was something introduced to make the church richer. You even got a piece of paper which was a rare commodity in those days.

Anyway that being said, what I am talking about is, is the kindness really and truly being done because they genuinly want to help? I don't know to be honest. Again these are only my views. If someone can give me a valid... or at least believable example where a person who is involved with religious voluntary work is doing it for the person they are helping.... truly I mean.

its funny looking at you mention yourself in the third person!

Well I think its a void point to some extent as an ideal world more than likely will never exist. So look after yourself first and then others after (if you are in a bad way you arent much good to anyone else)

I do get your point on people doing work because they're scared of going to hell, its not the right motives!

I do voluntary work on the basis its fulfilling to me to help others and to meet like minded people not to avoid hell!

I like to stay relatively grounded in whats in front of me! and just make the best of what we have and have fun when possible!

I never hope for people with troubles but there will always be those people and if thats my place to make their life better so be it, Im happy to help!

I have to believe in God. I can actually feel God. I don't know what God is, whether it is just some form of human intuition or a greater power, but there is a part of me which, when I listen, provides clarity and wisdom beyond which I can achieve on my own and which shelters me from the most unbearable pains and provides direction in my life.

Religion, not so much.

Well said.

its funny looking at you mention yourself in the third person!

Well I think its a void point to some extent as an ideal world more than likely will never exist. So look after yourself first and then others after (if you are in a bad way you arent much good to anyone else)

I do get your point on people doing work because they're scared of going to hell, its not the right motives!

I do voluntary work on the basis its fulfilling to me to help others and to meet like minded people not to avoid hell!

I like to stay relatively grounded in whats in front of me! and just make the best of what we have and have fun when possible!

I never hope for people with troubles but there will always be those people and if thats my place to make their life better so be it, Im happy to help!

Actually, you just gave me a bit of insight there so thank you. Self fulfilment through helping others. It makes sense, and I feel good myself when I can help people out...
I wonder though; do you think you feel better after helping someone than say a Christian (because we are picking on them at the moment) doing it for entrance through the pearly gates?

Interesting question. On one hand, one is happy because they did it out of pure selflessness, they expect nothing in return, they want nothing in return. They acted and someone else is better for it...

On the other hand, one is happy because they did it out of love for their deity and the fact that because they do the occasional good act they will finally get to meet him. They will also be in a better place than 'the other place'.

On the third hand (hehe), what about those who rape people and steal cars but then head into confession. They must be thinking "I lived the life of larry, had it made in the shade and all I have to do is boast about it and off I'll go, poodling through those gates".

What if the raped person was a voluntier who did it for gratitude... and they go through the gates and see that fellow there. Will they be happy or sad? Feel a bit resentful that they had to earn their way in? Maybe the idea is that you go into heaven and CAN'T feel anything negative... but does that not then impeed on our free will that God gave us? Maybe we only have free will on earth.... maybe not... maybe someone forgot to explain all of this when they were writing the bible.

Well, they used to in the middle ages. It was something introduced to make the church richer. You even got a piece of paper which was a rare commodity in those days.

Anyway that being said, what I am talking about is, is the kindness really and truly being done because they genuinly want to help? I don't know to be honest. Again these are only my views. If someone can give me a valid... or at least believable example where a person who is involved with religious voluntary work is doing it for the person they are helping.... truly I mean.
I admit, there most likely are people who do volunteer work on a 'selfish' basis, trying to get in heaven and avoid eternal damnation or what not. But then, why do people who have no religion volunteer and help others? Do they not help others, to simply help others? If they can simply help others for no personal gain, are religious people not capable of volunteering in such a manner?

We are a social species and act in a communal way. It's in our nature. Religious and non-religious volunteer in a number of ways. Some work soup kitchens, some build houses, others donate money and toys, and some people rush into burning buildings to save a child. Now you could easily argue that it's a plan able thing, donating time or money, and that it is ultimately for personal gain in eternity, but then what about people who are 'in the heat of the moment' and put their physical well being in danger to help those in need? A moment where a person simply does not have time to think (especially about how it will get them into heaven) and simply act. It's unnatural to put one's self in danger so why would people risk their lives for complete strangers? There's gotta be something more to it than personal gain.

I do believe that you have a point when you say people volunteer for personal gain, but I disagree with your view on their motives. Sure some volunteer for themselves, but others simply do act out of kindness.

On the third hand (hehe), what about those who rape people and steal cars but then head into confession. They must be thinking "I lived the life of larry, had it made in the shade and all I have to do is boast about it and off I'll go, poodling through those gates".
I think you're simplifying the point of confession. According to my understanding of the religion, one must truly be regretful to have their 'sins' forgiven. To simply confess and feel no true remorse does not grant entrance into heaven, for those that believe in such things.

I admit, there most likely are people who do volunteer work on a 'selfish' basis, trying to get in heaven and avoid eternal damnation or what not. But then, why do people who have no religion volunteer and help others? Do they not help others, to simply help others? If they can simply help others for no personal gain, are religious people not capable of volunteering in such a manner?

We are a social species and act in a communal way. It's in our nature. Religious and non-religious volunteer in a number of ways. Some work soup kitchens, some build houses, others donate money and toys, and some people rush into burning buildings to save a child. Now you could easily argue that it's a plan able thing, donating time or money, and that it is ultimately for personal gain in eternity, but then what about people who are 'in the heat of the moment' and put their physical well being in danger to help those in need? A moment where a person simply does not have time to think (especially about how it will get them into heaven) and simply act. It's unnatural to put one's self in danger so why would people risk their lives for complete strangers? There's gotta be something more to it than personal gain.

I do believe that you have a point when you say people volunteer for personal gain, but I disagree with your view on their motives. Sure some volunteer for themselves, but others simply do act out of kindness.

I agree with you. I hadn't properly thought it out. I generalised a load of people. I have helped people (nothing worth mentioning, a lift here, helping an old man home who was fainting) and I don't believe in heaven.
I suppose really and truly I don't know the motives of someone who is religious. I am free of those shackles and so I know the reasons behind why I do what I do.

As for the confessions, yes I understand that. I was trying to put a specific angle on it. I know one must be fully resentful of the sins they have done, but I can't help but wander what the explination is with regards to the feelings that will be had by mothers who go up there and see the monster who abused and murdered their child. If the answer is that everyone is happy la la no matter what... then that goes against the free will argument.

It is only theoretical entirely though because no one will ever be able to give us facts.

As for the confessions, yes I understand that. I was trying to put a specific angle on it. I know one must be fully resentful of the sins they have done, but I can't help but wander what the explination is with regards to the feelings that will be had by mothers who go up there and see the monster who abused and murdered their child. If the answer is that everyone is happy la la no matter what... then that goes against the free will argument.

It is only theoretical entirely though because no one will ever be able to give us facts.

Very interesting, it brings up the question of weather or not there is free will in 'heaven' or if the inhabitants are living by emotions and thoughts that god 'planned' for them.

I am a very spiritual person in that I believe in something mystical beyond my greatest imagination, Do I believe its GOD? No...there are way to many variables for me.