Do people realise the truth about power? | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

Do people realise the truth about power?

The problem is that everyone is super prone to confirmation bias. They just research online about stuff they already believe in, and not to see the other side of the argument, but to entrench their beliefs even deeper.

yup

Reactions: aeon
I do my research…

Attachments

• 76E6B059-CE12-466A-A18C-0038CD73954E.jpeg
    76E6B059-CE12-466A-A18C-0038CD73954E.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 2
These two sentences together show your character, which is one of pretending to be a lamb while also being condescending about the correctness of your own agenda.
I find it pretty detestable.

A couple of times now you have found something suspect or questionable, when I either did not, or saw otherwise, and I really appreciate that, because it reminds me just how narrow my vision can be, both in general, and on account of my welcoming, or preference for, certain conclusions.

Thanks,
Ian

Reactions: philostam and Wyote
Reactions: philostam
I do my research…

Doesn't prove shit tho, if all those books are from the same kind of stream.

The key is not to read every Chomsky book and every other author that worships him, but to get decent amount of variety and opposing views.

Reactions: aeon and Wyote
It is funny actually, carrying on. Peace be with you

NOU.jpg

Reactions: aeon
Doesn't prove shit tho, if all those books are from the same kind of stream.

The key is not to read every Chomsky book and every other author that worships him, but to get decent amount of variety and opposing views.
I do also have books which disagree like Sam Harris for eg. who thinks Chomsky is a joke. I definitely agree that reading a diverse range of authors is important but it’s not as simple as that. If a book chimes with what you have already perceived/thought (which may well be correct if you are an INFJ lol) then that adds weight. The suggestion that reading one book is not enough is too simplistic, a bit like my ISTJ brother who doesn’t believe anything I say because he accuses me of confirmation bias. If that explained every opinion, humanity would still be living in caves etc. . If truth isn’t knowable, we would all be fucked.

Reactions: Wyote and aeon
Yes, it will, but prudence and discernment are still required so you don’t think your own bullshit makes for a tasty meal.

Cheers,
Ian

I do use both Ian. That is why I am not vaxxed and boosted. The reality is is that the unvaxxed are not getting sick and dying. We see things different.

Reactions: philostam and aeon
I do also have books which disagree like Sam Harris for eg. who thinks Chomsky is a joke. I definitely agree that reading a diverse range of authors is important but it’s not as simple as that. If a book chimes with what you have already perceived/thought (which may well be correct if you are an INFJ lol) then that adds weight. The suggestion that reading one book is not enough is too simplistic, a bit like my ISTJ brother who doesn’t believe anything I say because he accuses me of confirmation bias. If that explained every opinion, humanity would still be living in caves etc. . If truth isn’t knowable, we would all be fucked.

I think intuition and feeling isn't enough to understand society. Like yeah as NF types you're probably gonna be biased towards certain set of narratives, and have blindspots for others. You're not above that.

I've seen it on this forum that your confirmation bias is quite strong. You can say the same about me, but at least I can say for myself that I read a lot of authors from the opposite camp of where I currently sit. I was totally in that world for a year or two. Now looking back, it was way too simplistic. Not necessarily wrong, just too simplistic.

I have analysed opposing views, particularly political ones, in great depth over the years. I think I have a pretty well rounded view of things. I can see both sides of the political landscape but the right traditionally has been on the wrong side of history and morality.
Left and right has got very confused these days though. I’m guessing most of you guys are in USA, a country with lower educational levels than U.K., a more screwed society and generally highly dysfunctional. This may explain some of your perceived differences between your and my opinions.

The reality is is that the unvaxxed are not getting sick and dying

All those dead people would probably disagree if they could

I'm from Central Europe.

I don't care about left or right, but I dislike wokism, social justice, central planing, central banks, police state...

I just wanna be left doing my own thing without the state "protection" and regulation on every step. And Europe is moving too much into this direction in my opinion.

My sense is if you have spent a great deal of time reading and studying opposing views, and have a rounded view of the various sides of the political landscape, and it informs your current position and outlook, you are to be commended for the work, for you are now ready to discover and discern those things which are without side, which are apolitical, and which are valid regardless of time, place, and situation.

These are a chance at a glimpse of that which transcends. All of the previous got you ready, and for sure, the drama was sometimes entertaining. :p

time for a cherished nugget...

oAuuvSV.jpg

Cheers,
Ian

Reactions: philostam and Wyote