Do most of you talk in metaphors? | INFJ Forum

Do most of you talk in metaphors?

Discussion in 'The INFJ Typology' started by Confused Mind, Oct 7, 2008.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 8 users.
More threads by Confused Mind
  1. or is it just a stereotype? I, myself, am more inclined to talk in more of a concrete manner.

2. ZenCat

ZenCat Waving Sage

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    Recently 2
    I don't restrict myself to one way of communicating over another. It depends on who I'm talking to, what I'm talking about, whether I'm talking or writing or painting or some other form of communication and expression altogether.

Sometimes I think in metaphors, sometimes I think in specific words, sometimes I think in pictures.

I like to keep my options open :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Quinlan

Quinlan Right the First Time!

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ISFP
    I love metaphors, they help me communicate things I would otherwise struggle with.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. OP
    Confused Mind

You sound like a very interesting person in the best way! I wish I be as as varied in my communication. Ironically, I rarely talk and write in metaphors, which is supposed to be very INFJish trait. I can totally relate to on the mental metaphors, words, and imagery.

For example, if someone says a particular phrase, my mind tries to connect it to 10 other seeming unrelated things.

Is it like that for you?

5. OP
    Confused Mind

Is it like giving others a peek into your inner workings through words?

6. Quinlan

Quinlan Right the First Time!

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ISFP
    Yeah, I think mostly in concepts and images, so it is easier to communicate by using imagery.

7. ZenCat

ZenCat Waving Sage

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    Recently 2
    Thank you for the compliment!

As for connecting to a bunch of other things when somebody says something to me... I think I understand what you mean. I think of it as my "Scenario Girl Response". If somebody makes a statement or asks or suggests something, for instance, this whole drop-down menu forms under their question in my head (this is more for people I don't know that well).

In the menu are options like Motivation for Asking, Hidden Agenda?, Simple Statement, Fishing Trip, Answer This Question With Another, See Potential Repercussions To Intended Reply, WTF??, etc. and all of those have sub-menus too.

I could see this happening more with metaphors.

But I can't think of a single example. And boy did that look weird when I read it back, but I'll let it stand. It all happens in a split second though.

8. OP
    Confused Mind

No worries, that happens to me all the time. A popular response from other people is "huh, what the hell are you talking about?"

9. firehotemily

firehotemily Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    when i speak i speak in metephors...sometimes...like if im trying to explain something...i explain it but it comes out sounding like something some old wise asian guy would say lol
    and most ppl are like ..Whaaat? xD

i personally think it's easier to speak in metephors. i don't like this English i use, with all it's rules to how to say something and when to say it...i like my own style of saying stuff, much easier.

10. Pristinegirl

Pristinegirl Well-known member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ANFP
    I speak in a straight forward matter although particularly when I am speaking of things with alot of emotion I will include metaphors, often melodramatic ones, as flowers and pink ^^

11. in_wonderment

in_wonderment Regular Poster

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    i often write in metaphors. when i talk it is more loose, like tying antedote or the feeling of a story, to the feeling of another story.

so for example, if someone tells a story about getting a speeding ticket, i might continue the conversation with 'so it was kind of like the first time you stole a packet of gum from a store and your mother found out. one of those sort of embarassed feelings'

(example is rather bad, but it's all i can come up with at the moment... you get the idea)

so yes, metaphors in writing. in conversation i just freeform tying feelings and things together with similies and metaphors.

12. in_wonderment

in_wonderment Regular Poster

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    I think zen is saying what I was attempting to say. Both of us aren't saying it very clearly though... haha.

13. Pristinegirl

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ANFP

I think it was clear btw. Zen does it good too. Hahah I am familiar with it :)
    It is much easier to express methaphorically in writing than verbally.

14. IndigoSensor

IndigoSensor Product Obtained
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    1w2 sx/so/sp
    I speak and explain things as clearly as I can. I am huge on getting things across in the right way. When I can't find the words for something, I will try to think of examples as best as I can.

15. Entyqua

Entyqua Forgotten
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INF
    Enneagram:
    messed up
    I do all the time...everything more explanation to make more sense...Sometimes they are incredibly lame...others they are freakin profound!!!!

16. Milon

Milon Director of Glomps
    Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ!
    Enneagram:
    6w5 SO
    I love metaphor! I can't tell you how many times I lost people when speaking in metaphor. I thought the connections were so obvious! I mean, it's like everyone's trying to get through a really dense jungle, can't see very far in any direction, and I'm the only one who climbs the trees to get a look at my surroundings. I just "see" how the metaphor relates to the issue, and most people (irl) get lost along the way...

17. Obstinate

Obstinate Regular Poster

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    I use lots of metaphor in my writing, and when I'm in a fight with a person online and I can't describe those negative emotions I use metaphor.

18. the

the Si master race.
    Banned

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ISTJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    only if im trying to be cute.

19. Satya

Satya C'est la vie
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INXP
    I use a metaphors a great deal when I'm trying to explain something complex. They aren't something that I generally use in my day to day speech.

20. Pristinegirl

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ANFP
    Same as Uber and I always try to be cute, so they come here and there.

:m163: