Do lyrics matter? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Do lyrics matter?

Yes, lyrics do matter to me quite a bit...even more then they used to. So I opted out for the most part and listen only to classical music. The lyrics got to be an intrusion.

New favorite song? ;D

[video=youtube;aqGrgaQsIIE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqGrgaQsIIE[/video]

so are his

V4tBt.gif

Yes, lyrics do matter to me quite a bit...even more then they used to. So I opted out for the most part and listen only to classical music. The lyrics got to be an intrusion.

Lyrics from the old music we grew up with?
Or the new stuff?

Gah [MENTION=3998]niffer[/MENTION] I don't know whether to laugh or be mildly disturbed at that video.

Lyrics from the old music we grew up with?
Or the new stuff?
For now all of it. I got into this mode via some of the new stuff (I always was pretty picky), but then a sort of ripple effect took hold. Now I'm out altogether, and it's still expanding! It's not that any of it angers me...it just does not interest me. :)

*shakes fist [MENTION=3255]Sali[/MENTION]* lol

music is that thing that touches my very soul. . be it instrumental or filled with lyric. . there are songs that the lyrics are thee most important part of the song. . to hear things like,"you're my survival you're my living proof my love is alive and not dead". . or "just hold on , dont let go, I want to feel you in my soul". . or "if I should die tomorrow, I'd go down with a smile on my face, I 'd thank God I've ever known you, I'd fall fall donw on my knees for the love we made" or the simple refrain. . ."all I want is you"
so I guess lyrics are very important to me. they say what I feel. . .they aloow me to share with others the thoughts inside of me. . the eotions that I have no words of my own for . .

Yes, mostly.

There's some music that can get away with hokey lyrics - usually I don't expect much of the genre to begin with so if a song like, say, Country, has lyrics about dead dogs and ex-wives, I don't think much of it. Or if a Punk bands writes 4 word lyrics repeated the length of the entire song, I don't think much or expect much either.

Then there's the deeply moving music. If the lyrics are shallow, then I lose all respect/hope for the band. Dream Theater is the perfect example of this - very complex music, intricate rhythms and then melodramatic tripe passed off for lyrics.

In that same genre, you have Symphony X - lots of time signature changes, complex instrumental portions of songs and lyrics that are equally engaging.

Two of my favorite lyricists though are Neil Peart (Rush) and Don Henley. Their lyrics are always a perfect fit with their music and create images without the need for music.

lyrics can make or break a song for me I love a good story in my music. That and pointless words make me question the intelligence of any songwriter.