Do INFJs look down on others? | INFJ Forum

Do INFJs look down on others?

Pixie In Repose

Regular Poster
Mar 27, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
I was in my group counseling class last night and my professor started talking about "J" versus "P" personalities. He said that very strong "J"s feel that their way of doing things is the right way and look down on others who do things differently. Now, keep in my mind my professor is definitely a "P". He said that "P"s are "fly-by-the-seat-of-their-pants" kind of people and "J"s are planners. Well, I'm a "J" but not particularly a strong one. I don't feel that I exactly look down at people although I do become annoyed if I feel their behavior is unhelpful or harmful to others. Yes, I suppose I get more than "annoyed" sometimes, but I'm trying to be more diplomatic as I'm getting older. What do you guys and gals think about this? Is there any truth to his sentiment?

Yeah there is, I find that I will at first look down at someone if I feel like they are below me in some big way. However, and this is a big however, this is what will first come to my mind before I process something. After thinking about it, I will often realise that it is extremely infair of me to make such a jugement like that, as I do not know the person. As such I will look for a reason not to think this way, and I will leave behind this looking down upon them. Other times there is just a bad call that I made. There are very few people that I truly look down at.

I can't sugar coat it though, there are people out there that I just flat out will not like, and some of them I just look down on. I will not give them the time of day. It's rare, but even after processing something, some people will not give me cause or reason to not look down on them in some way, and I have a very hard time being around them. I will never be mean or nasty to them though, that's just cruel.

Very strong judgers (like myself) will tend to this. However, some perceivers (mostly undeveloped ones, and this is a rare case), can be far worse then even the strictest judger.

I don't think that INFJ's look down on others. At least, that hasn't been my experience IRL. My INFJ brother-in-law has been teasing me for 39 years, however. My INFJ wife doesn't tease me. I tease her. My INFJ son--well now, that's another matter altogether!

Wow that's a lot of INFJ's to one family.

Yeah there is, I find that I will at first look down at someone if I feel like they are below me in some big way. However, and this is a big however, this is what will first come to my mind before I process something. After thinking about it, I will often realise that it is extremely infair of me to make such a jugement like that, as I do not know the person. As such I will look for a reason not to think this way, and I will leave behind this looking down upon them. Other times there is just a bad call that I made. There are very few people that I truly look down at.
I appreciate your honesty and the fact that you pause to check on your judgment shows that you are in good control of your "J". I do find that there are times where I feel a quick negative reaction towards someone and I also have to think about whether my feeling is accurate or not. Usually I can suspend judgment by thinking about the positive traits of the person or putting myself in their shoes for a while. But it can be tricky when I philosophically really disagree with a person for me to withhold judgment.

Well, your prof is a douche. Hee! Well, I don't know if I would call it "looking down on someone," but there are definitely people that rub me the wrong way and I don't try to be warm and fuzzy with them.

I try to separate people from their ideas or their methods. It doesn't work all the time.

I don't look down on people either. Yes, I wonder at some folks' behavior and choices (and inability to drive) but overall I have a pretty firm sense that my path in life has been somewhat unique that is just not where most folks are at. I am very happy in life, but it seems that, given my surroundings, I am the odd one. Oh well, ya gotta go with what ya got!! :)

I appreciate your honesty and the fact that you pause to check on your judgment shows that you are in good control of your "J". I do find that there are times where I feel a quick negative reaction towards someone and I also have to think about whether my feeling is accurate or not. Usually I can suspend judgment by thinking about the positive traits of the person or putting myself in their shoes for a while. But it can be tricky when I philosophically really disagree with a person for me to withhold judgment.

This^^

I don't think that INFJ's look down on others. At least, that hasn't been my experience IRL. My INFJ brother-in-law has been teasing me for 39 years, however. My INFJ wife doesn't tease me. I tease her. My INFJ son--well now, that's another matter altogether!

All I can say is that you are one lucky man. :m155:

well, I look down on others. but only a few. and those I really really look down on. they have no sense of honour whatsoever and they can break their words like we break a chocolate bar.

Wow that's a lot of INFJ's to one family.

Yes! Isn't that something? It's the "N" thing that keeps us humming. We're all "N's."

All I can say is that you are one lucky man. :m155:

And, my sister is an ENTP married to my brother-in-law, the INFJ. This is a great combination, in theory and practice, as you know. She's a veritable idea factory (not to mention a VP of a prominent university here in the States).