Do certain MBTI types dress certain ways? | INFJ Forum

Do certain MBTI types dress certain ways?

smiffy

Community Member
Jul 20, 2009
MBTI
XXXX
Just a thought, In pubs-nightclubs in Dublin I have noticed a trend that certain places will accumulate certain clients. I tend to go to laid back casual bars - clubs where to see a fake tan mini skirt wearing blonde is rare .I general like the music in these pubs and the people who go there.

When looking for women to chat up I usually have a look I usually go for, I will pretty much never chat up anyone that is showing too much flesh. This is from experience that rarely have I ever had much in common or much to say to these people even though they can be good to look at.

I was just wondering if anyone has any views on the way certain types dress and is their a general correlation, in particular INXX would be of interest and if so any pictorial examples of looks that you think these MBTI groups would wear. I always tend to go out casual where possible

another ENFP friend of mine dresses in all sorts of colours like purple and green and usually wheres an old man coat.

My ENFP female friends usually where jeans or medium to long skirts usually with a string top or dressy top that doesnt expose too much,

examples or pics of these would be very useful

Well INFJs usually have a very distinct peculiar taste that can only be called there own.
:mjedibr:

You'd love that wouldn't you.

haha lingerie! but all joking aside for now, i think dress style can indicate type, would you agree?

looking at the photo section, I could nearly tell you what clubs in Dublin have congregations of certain types

Last edited:
No, I think types are broad but individual people are very distinct. There are INFJs who wear flamboyant clothing with blue dyed hair etc. whereas I wear smart but casual clothing that absolutely does not draw attention to myself. In other words: decent jeans and good fitting t-shirt and a pair of converse. I think clothing is very unique and idiosyncratic to individuals whereas MBTI types are not. But if someone argues otherwise then I'm open to the concept and any correlations or similarities that are put forward.

No, I think types are broad but individual people are very distinct. There are INFJs who wear flamboyant clothing with blue dyed hair etc. whereas I wear smart but casual clothing that absolutely does not draw attention to myself. In other words: decent jeans and good fitting t-shirt and a pair of converse. I think clothing is very unique and idiosyncratic to individuals whereas MBTI types are not. But if someone argues otherwise then I'm open to the concept and any correlations or similarities that are put forward.

decent jeans and good fitting t-shirt and a pair of converse. I think clothing is very unique and idiosyncratic to individuals whereas MBTI types are not. But if someone argues otherwise then I'm open to the concept and any correlations or similarities that are put forward.

I am often wrong but the people I know who wear that clothing are N types, dont know of any S's who do, but Im sure they exist,

INTJ, INTP,ENFP, ENFP friends wear that combination

Okay, so having said that, I DON'T wear idiosyncratic clothing haha. I try to blend in. So you could say that is a trait of certain types. Damn you.

Personally..I don't really put to much attention in to clothing, A t-shirt, sports shoes and jeans works perfectly!

Okay, so having said that, I DON'T wear idiosyncratic clothing haha. I try to blend in. So you could say that is a trait of certain types. Damn you.

also I know their types because they took the test! see I like going out certain places where people dress in a non mainstream way, in these places the conversation is more interesting.

An ENFP friend of mine who dressed very 'alternate' to be mild often goes to mainstream clubs to pull women where he will be the only dressed the way he does, and of course he usually fails because different clubs have different styles. and i believe in most cases clothing style can be indicator of personaility type with regard to S and N, the E and I parts are done by observing, and the rest can be found out,

I like observing human behaviour and finding common traits!

while in other places where I go he blends in better and there will be people of similair tastes there

I usually wear hoodies and jeans. My usual hoodie is orange and it has a 'peace' sign on it. Sometimes I wear yoga pants or navy blue chords. I always have a tank top under the hoodie. I love flip-flops. If I could go bare foot I would, but I have one deformed foot so it usually feels uncomfortable with the bare ground benieth it.

My hair is sometimes pinned up so it looks like I have short hair (like in my avator), and sometimes I leave it down so I can hide behind it.

I always wear sunglasses, even light ones just so my eyes are hidden.

Last edited:
Personally..I don't really put to much attention in to clothing, A t-shirt, sports shoes and jeans works perfectly!

ok between you, me and yield clothes arent that important, we dress very casual, thats what I'm getting at!

I usually wear hoodies and jeans. My usual hoodie is orange and it has a 'peace' sign on it. Sometimes I wear yoga pants or navy blue chords. I always have a tank top under the hoodie. I love flip-flops. If I could go bare foot I would, but I have one deformed foot so it usually feels uncomfortable with the bare ground benieth it.

My hair is sometimes pinned up so it looks like I have short hair (like in my avator), and sometimes I leave it down so I can hide behind it.

I always wear sunglasses, even light ones just so my eyes are hidden.

cool, you see I'm already seeing a trend here! I thin clothing choice can exhibit values of the person and what they hold as important and hence is indicative of personality

maybe the enneagram and mbti, amongst other things of course, jointly influence dress choice. for instance, i think INFJs who type as 1w9 may dress different than those who type as 4w3. hmmm just an idea i suppose.

ok between you, me and yield clothes arent that important, we dress very casual, thats what I'm getting at!

I feel very uncomfortable getting dressed up. It's like I receive attention that I'm not used to feeling comfortable with... It also seems to be that what others wear is a reflection of at least some form of their personality. The people I know who dress up hard-core (power-dressing etc) have priorities around the financial end of life. Somehow too, those who dress up often have an aura around them of 'keeping up with the Jone's etc.' and likely watch shows like Desperate Housewives etc. ... shows that I cannot relate to and just end up turning the TV off. I know I'm making generalizations and assumptions here but it's just what occurs to me.

I am and always have been, the type that likes to go for walks at night and sort of keep to myself. I outwardly reflect a harmless rebel image I guess and I know that sounds stupidly emo, lol. It's a regular thing for people to not believe me when I tell them my age. I have the overall look of a small framed teenager and the energy of an individualistic loner. My clothes reflect that I suppose, as there are not too many 38 yr old mother of 2's, who look like me in face/body or clothing style.

I run away from soccer moms! lol

maybe the enneagram and mbti, amongst other things of course, jointly influence dress choice. for instance, i think INFJs who type as 1w9 may dress different than those who type as 4w3. hmmm just an idea i suppose.

just did the enneagram, could you explain 1w9 and 4w3 to me?

I'm really conscious of sticking out. I don't wear bright colours, partly because it doesn't look good on me and because I don't want people to think I'm trying to "say something" with my clothes. I just want to look cool and modern and that is doable with a reasonable budget. I can be extremely self conscious and I'll panic if I think I look stupid or feel miserable for the rest of the day. So it's important for my own sense of calmness to know I don't look like a tramp.

I'm really conscious of sticking out. I don't wear bright colours, partly because it doesn't look good on me and because I don't want people to think I'm trying to "say something" with my clothes. I just want to look cool and modern and that is doable with a reasonable budget. I can be extremely self conscious and I'll panic if I think I look stupid or feel miserable for the rest of the day. So it's important for my own sense of calmness to know I don't look like a tramp.

A tramp? I had to chuckle a bit when I read that Yield because I think of tramps in terms of low cost hookers, lol...

I guess what u were trying to convey was more like the word "scruffy?" :D

I feel very uncomfortable getting dressed up. It's like I receive attention that I'm not used to feeling comfortable with... It also seems to be that what others wear is a reflection of at least some form of their personality. The people I know who dress up hard-core (power-dressing etc) have priorities around the financial end of life. Somehow too, those who dress up often have an aura around them of 'keeping up with the Jone's etc.'

Like seriously, stop reading my thoughts.

That's a really good point. Let's just suppose that you're right, what would each type wear do you think :m075:

Excellent thread by the way.

A tramp? I had to chuckle a bit when I read that Yield because I think of tramps in terms of low cost hookers, lol...

I guess what u were trying to convey was more like the word "scruffy?" :D

Oh right, haha! By tramp I meant, y'know, people who walk around town with a bottle of cheap cider in one hand while chain smoking with the other, endlessly colliding into things and people at 3 in the afternoon. But scruffy will do.