Do all the things | INFJ Forum

Do all the things

Lark

Rothchildian Agent
May 9, 2011
MBTI
ENTJ
Enneagram
Does anyone else have a bit of an existential crisis about the fact that one life time isnt long enough to do all the things which life has to offer?

Hmmm... A little, I guess. I find myself less planning for things I want to do and more anticipating things that will happen during my life. Death is just one of those things that will happen. And who knows what happens after?

Eh, I've had that once or twice. Not a big deal.

I'd say it's preferable to having your magnum opus, where you've already done the best thing you're ever likely to do.

Does anyone else have a bit of an existential crisis about the fact that one life time isnt long enough to do all the things which life has to offer?

That would be the ENTJ existential crisis I suppose.
Life is beautiful when you know how to live it, when you enjoy it, with every little things. But there must come a time for a philosopical question, of what is all about after all?
I find it weird that most people tend to pass that question almost with fear.

I definitely did, during college. Learning to be more mindful of (and therefore, content in) the present has snapped me out of the crisis.

As problems go, I think wanting to do all the things is a relatively good one to have, so long as one doesn't let it reduce them into a "everything can't be done, so nothing is worthwhile"-esque puddle of nihilist inaction.

I definitely did, during college. Learning to be more mindful of (and therefore, content in) the present has snapped me out of the crisis.

As problems go, I think wanting to do all the things is a relatively good one to have, so long as one doesn't let it reduce them into a "everything can't be done, so nothing is worthwhile"-esque puddle of nihilist inaction.

I think that's a good definition of depression, the last definition of depression I read was that it was not unhappiness or total devitalisation and I see how not being able to deal with that sort of existential crisis could prompt that kind of thing.

I think that's a good definition of depression, the last definition of depression I read was that it was not unhappiness or total devitalisation and I see how not being able to deal with that sort of existential crisis could prompt that kind of thing.

I don't really consider what I went through as 'depression' at all, though I believe many others would think to label it that. The main reason I say this is that existential crises like mine really aren't very uncommon (at least, not in modern westernized/industrialized societies), and are characterized by generalized anxiety rather than a depression-esque 'perpetual feeling of non-feeling'. If anything, our vernacular notion of depression has undergone flux: many competing theories for what, exactly constitutes it (at least, among the general and/or affected populace), and whether we can even refer to the 'common cold of psychology' as depression anymore at all, considering we used to think of it as something far rarer and more alarming than it appears to be thought of these days.

Having said all that, I also believe that chronic (or genetic) depression is really the only 'true' kind of depression there is. All else is temporary, mostly surmountable with the proper treatment--and possibly even beneficial to the person experiencing it, assuming they can learn and come out of it not harmed to an irreversible degree. I do think genetic depression serves a functional role to the species overall, if distributed in the optimal proportions, but that's a subject for another time and/or place.

I don't really consider what I went through as 'depression' at all, though I believe many others would think to label it that. The main reason I say this is that existential crises like mine really aren't very uncommon (at least, not in modern westernized/industrialized societies), and are characterized by generalized anxiety rather than a depression-esque 'perpetual feeling of non-feeling'. If anything, our vernacular notion of depression has undergone flux: many competing theories for what, exactly constitutes it (at least, among the general and/or affected populace), and whether we can even refer to the 'common cold of psychology' as depression anymore at all, considering we used to think of it as something far rarer and more alarming than it appears to be thought of these days.

Having said all that, I also believe that chronic (or genetic) depression is really the only 'true' kind of depression there is. All else is temporary, mostly surmountable with the proper treatment--and possibly even beneficial to the person experiencing it, assuming they can learn and come out of it not harmed to an irreversible degree. I do think genetic depression serves a functional role to the species overall, if distributed in the optimal proportions, but that's a subject for another time and/or place.

Interesting and edifying to read this. It is my view too, both of the importance of the distinction between genetic depression and other sorts, I would use the definitions of endogenous and exogenous or situational but I know they are problematic too. Language isnt perfect.

I think its debatable that endogenous depression could have an optimal distribution or serve a functional role to the species but as you say that may be a seperate topic or discussion to this one.

There is quite a lot which is referred to as depression, you are right, equally you're right to say that it has become the "common cold of psychology", there has also been in some ways aggressive campaigns to normalise behaviour and experience commonly understood under the label of depression, I'm not sure what that all is about and there are a lot of different variables involved for sure.

For my part there is a lot of it which I believe should be considered through the prism of alienation, estrangement and existentialism than clinically and medically, which is the usual vehicle for psychology. I actually even believe that sociology or sociologically informed psychology could explain the prevailence or patterns of depression more than is commonly given credit.

Although explanation isnt often enough to provide closure or relief of symptoms or distress, for that part, I think its experienced personally so people need to find personal solutions, coping strategies or responses, insights will ony ever be part of that.

All. The. Time.

This has been happening to me the older I get. When younger it seemed as if I had all the time in the world. I have many many things I want to learn about and I realize I dont have nearly enough time for it all.

This has been happening to me the older I get. When younger it seemed as if I had all the time in the world. I have many many things I want to learn about and I realize I dont have nearly enough time for it all.

Yeah, that's it for sure, I also kind of think that society is really set up with a sort of limited pattern or life course in mind, the idea of doing a lot of different jobs and breaking it up with study in between or retraining isnt something which is available to main or at all unless you're part of a pretty elite group but there's also no great demand for it either, I think the whole world is poorer for that you know.

I've never had that. During high school I was lonely and not very active. Instead of becoming more active, I learned to be happy with the little things. I was genuinly content at that time.

I enjoy doing nothing. I've never really got close to stress (maybe for an examweek), because I simply plan my life to have plenty of free time. This is still possible during my full-time study, because I generally pick up things quickly. I wonder how it'll be when I get a full-time job. My long term ambitions and ideals are mostly family-related.

For example, I'm going on exchange for the upcoming half year. This is not something that I'd normally do, but I thought I could spice it up a little I signed up.
Over the past half year I've already worried a lot about all the things I'm going to miss here. About why I shouldn't be doing it. I know I'm not going to cancel it and I know it's going to be an almost life-changing experience, but currently I just wish I didn't have to be so busy preparing all of it. Also I'm going to miss out on my yearly holiday with friends, I'm missing out on cool festivals my friends are going to and I've already been rejected by a girl I dated.

I like to do nothing. It gets too bad if I don't have a weekly schedule. Almost ideal was a four hour occupation for three days a week, plus plenty of social activities (3+ a week).
The rest of the time I'll just be researching random stuff on the internet, hanging out with friends, watching movies/series and a bit of gaming. Maybe add in a some student committee or some voluntering for a few hours each week. I thoroughly enjoyed that for half a year some time ago. Issue was only that when I dated someone, I'd always be available and she wouldn't. That was a bad balance.

Currently busier. Two committees. One voluntering job. Still full-time study. Preparing exchange period. Sports.

To return to OP's question:
Not at all. Life is finite and that's why it's beautiful.
More experiences doesn't make better experiences. I'll treasure the good ones and be content with what I have, instead of worrying about what other paths I could still take or could have taken.

This is me.

The greatest limiting factor for me in learning things isn't time at the moment, but motivation. Well time as well, but I'm honest enough with myself to recognize that even if I had a bit of free time, I would lack motivation for a lot of the things I want to delve into.

Nah. Can't do all the things.

But a list of targeted goals keeps things moving.