Distinguishing INFJs from INFPs | Page 9 | INFJ Forum

Distinguishing INFJs from INFPs

I place my INFJ stamp on Miyazaki. *STAMP*

And to keep things balanced, I give my INFP stamp to Tolkien. *STAMP*

ROFL! You should create threads to discuss him in the Famous INFJ section.

This may be some help to a few of you who have seen Spirited Away. Sometimes characters in fiction are great examples of MBTI types.

Chihiro is a very good example of an INFP. Haku is a very good example of an INFJ.

Love Spirited Away! :m032:

For some reason, I have difficulty getting along with INFPs. They overreact to criticism whereas INFJs just tend to shut down. They also tend to have much more sympathy for themselves than others whereas the reverse is true for INFJs. Everyone has to live up to the INFPs ideals whereas INFJs try to adjust their ideals to be inclusive as possible.

I imagine you have difficulty getting along with a lot of people. :evil:

I've been told by a good friend that I usually "drive like I know where I'm going," despite the fact that I have a terrible memory and sense of direction. I'm very capable at going straight and considerably above the speed limit.

But yes, people do still try to pass me at a furious rate. I think a lot of them are istps who have no sympathy for anything or anyone.

I have no sense of direction either, and I get lost a lot. I always tend to drive a bit over the speed limit too.

I admit I drive far better when I am alone. People talking to me in the car can really distract me.

No, not offensive, but I simply think the differences in communication go beyond grammar. Grammar can be an education and/or intelligence issue.

I think I spend too much time on message boards, and comparing the INFP boards to ones with a mix of people has shown me that INFPs have pretty good grammar and spelling overall. For example, there's little confusion of "your" and "you're", which you see everywhere else.

I place my INFJ stamp on Miyazaki. *STAMP*

And to keep things balanced, I give my INFP stamp to Tolkien. *STAMP*

Cool! I always wanted to be like Miyazaki one day :3

Although the more I read this thread, the more I get to thinking that I'm some sort of freakish hybrid between INFJ and INFP.

This may be some help to a few of you who have seen Spirited Away. Sometimes characters in fiction are great examples of MBTI types.

Chihiro is a very good example of an INFP. Haku is a very good example of an INFJ.
I've never seen this and I don't know when I'll get the chance to. Can you give some in-depth examples for why you think this about these characters?

I have an INFP friend. His favorite line is, "I'm alright with people doing what they want as long as it isn't stupid". INFPs are "fluid" until people do things that conflict with their ideals, then they are as rigid as concrete. This has nothing to do with "dogma" or what an INFP might believe, but the sensibilities of the INFP. That is what makes INFPs inflexible when it comes to their ideals, and very few INFPs are willing to recognize that their emotional state gets in the way of their so called "flexiblity".

I get along great with INFPs but I have noticed this w/ most of the INFPs I know (atleast 6). They may appear flexible a lot of the time but sorry to say, they can be just rigid as INFJs. INFJs can be uptight about many things and make up their minds rather quickly about things but at the same time, they seem to to have an easier time seeing contradicting views from their own. The INFPs seem to be flexible most of the time until you say something against their values, then watch out. They are probably just as intense as INFJs but it is all on the inside, IME.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never seen this and I don't know when I'll get the chance to. Can you give some in-depth examples for why you think this about these characters?

These characters are portrayed in a way that seems to get the sense of type across very well on a subtle level. Body language, voice inflection (English version anyway), and priorities. Anything I can describe here will be somewhat counter to the excellent examples in that that film. If you haven't seen it, I would highly suggest it for no other reason than it is a great film.

Here is a link to the trailer.
Here is what appears to be a link to the entire film on googlevideo. (I don't know how legal that is, but I found it while looking for the trailer.)

Chihiro is more in tune with her feelings, more expressive of them, acts on them, fights them, and acts a lot like an INFP in a stressful situation that demands responsibility. Although the character is a little girl, and appropriately portrayed as such, the INFP part of her personality shines through.

Haku is more focused, distant, directed, alert to nuance, and colder. His idealism governs his behavior, but he portrays that wonderful dichotomy that causes people to wonder if INFJs are hiding their emotions or just don't have any. His expressed feelings are tied to what is right and wrong in the external world, not his own.

I'm definitely sure I'm more INFJ now, my mum's INFP and the differences described between two types sounds a lot like the differences between her and me.

YAY! I'M AN INFJ!

Eureka moment . . . .

Some thoughts.

That spirted away trailer confirmed some more things for me. I have seen that movie several times in the past.

When I first took the MBTI when I was in 8th grade, I typed INFP, but I later realised, that that was wrong. I was aspiring to be more like an INFP. I still sort of do. I started typing INFJ very clearly once I realised "ok you are being narsissitic and putting answers on how you want to be, not who you are". Since I became aware of this, MBTI stuff almost always peggs me as I am. When I tried to remember what the movie was like. I thought, "Hmm I am more like chihrio, haku was cold and mean in some ways." But after watching the tailer I was like "haha ok I am much more like haku, way way more, I just want to be chicrio". This makes sense, I strive to be friendly and warm to everyone, but usually fall short. I am usually cold and distant in apperance, despite what I might want to be like. The thing is, I don't activly want to be like that, I sort of do on a subconscience level, but always fall short.

Interesting indeed.

hmm . . . maybe I should retake the test . . . I can't remember how I answered, if they were truly truthful or not.

Although, I do believe there comes a point when testing can only tell you so much, you have to decide for yourself- no one knows you better than you.

That spirted away trailer confirmed some more things for me. I have seen that movie several times in the past.

When I first took the MBTI when I was in 8th grade, I typed INFP, but I later realised, that that was wrong. I was aspiring to be more like an INFP. I still sort of do. I started typing INFJ very clearly once I realised "ok you are being narsissitic and putting answers on how you want to be, not who you are". Since I became aware of this, MBTI stuff almost always peggs me as I am. When I tried to remember what the movie was like. I thought, "Hmm I am more like chihrio, haku was cold and mean in some ways." But after watching the tailer I was like "haha ok I am much more like haku, way way more, I just want to be chicrio". This makes sense, I strive to be friendly and warm to everyone, but usually fall short. I am usually cold and distant in apperance, despite what I might want to be like. The thing is, I don't activly want to be like that, I sort of do on a subconscience level, but always fall short.

Interesting indeed.

Yeah, I know what you mean here. I want to be more like Chihiro....but I don't think I'm really that way. But I'm not quite Haku either; I kind of fall somewhere in the middle of them :/

Yeah, I know what you mean here. I want to be more like Chihiro....but I don't think I'm really that way. But I'm not quite Haku either; I kind of fall somewhere in the middle of them :/

Yeah, ditto that. But I'm closer to Haku. Chihiro was a bit of a spaz, no? ;)

What do you mean by spaz? I tried googling it but there were lots of different definitions.
I like chihiro.

Chihiro was too...unsure. I can be pretty self-conscious and confused, but I never show it. I'd say my actions would be similar to Chihiro's in some ways, but they would be more decisive and more self-assured. When I don't know what I'm doing, then I make people think I that I do. So I'd appear and act more like Haku, at least once I got established

What do you mean by spaz? I tried googling it but there were lots of different definitions.
I like chihiro.

spaz - definitions 4 & 5

Chihiro was definitely an admirable character, but prone to freaking out. *shrug* Just not my approach I guess. Not demeaning, but the emotional outbursts just didn't seem to fit. Guess that's my INFJ perspective.

Ah, OK. I guess I can be accused of spazzing as well.:m122:

That's okay sever. I could be accused of being cold. :hug: