Distinguishing INFJs from INFPs | Page 8 | INFJ Forum

Distinguishing INFJs from INFPs

Merry and Sever, I do want to apologize if it sounds like INFJs are being cold and judgmental...unfortunately, that's the big difference. We'll seem cold, judgmental, and occasionally snobbish because it's the judging factor. I think as an INFJ I can be extremely clinical as I look at things, and I will put things into neat little piles of "yes" and "no." We *are* critical when it comes to some things, and we don't mean to be insensitive about it, but that's probably the biggest gulf between J/P: The J will sound insensitive and biased to the P, while the P will sound emotionally imbalanced (at times) to the J. I think if we realize these things in each other, we can help balance each other a bit. I have no problems with someone telling me I sound like I'm judging too harshly and I'm being insensitive - I need to hear it, because then I'll have an opportunity to grow from the situation.

So again - I'm sorry if anything I've said sounded too hard, or uncomfortable. To know each other, we have to expect that not everything will be lovely to hear (on both our ends).

Last edited:
Most INFPs I have encountered online and off have a very similar attitude. They are flexible in their values until their sensibilities are offended or hurt.
Are you any different? Are your values above being offended before you think less of others for it? If a person claims to be of a certain religion that does not agree with your values, though you say they have the right to disagree- does it reach a point where they become offensive to you and you become offensive back? Who is above this? I'd say the person who is above this has achieved something much higher than possessing certain innate mbti preferences.

Last edited:
Yes. When push comes to shove I can put aside my sensibilities. I'm not happy to do it, but I can. INFPs seem almost completely incapable of doing so.
I sort of resent you speaking for me as I am an INFP and I know that I usually do just what you claim you do. But I know you're not trying to be hurtful. Actually, I should say I resent that you label INFPs like that, because I don't see myself the way you see INFPs. But I'm going to choose not to be offended. It's not my job to make you understand me and I guess it's not your duty to understand me. People will call it as they see it. And if that is the experience you have with INFPs, then that is your experience.

Last edited:
I sort of resent you speaking for me as I am an INFP and I know that I usually do just what you claim you do. But I know you're not trying to be hurtful.

As I said, I usually don't get along with INFPs. I don't spare much tact when it comes to sharing my observations. However, I could be wrong. We can always just agree to disagree.

I have a nasty side as well and as a result of understanding the subtle complexities of human emotions and their vibratory strings-- I'm pretty good at pulling the negative ones when I lack the self-control. Just as any type, INFPs can be judgmental and act in anger.

I am so glad you said that last line. Absolutely true that judgment and acting in anger at times is not an exclusively INFP trait. It may look different exhibited by different people, but I believe it's present across the board.

As for the ability to pluck the negative strings, I think that is partly what I fear in the INFPs I've known. I think I do often have deep insight into people, but I've often felt frightened by what the INFP seems to see that I cannot (I don't think the sight is superior--just different). I fear the darkness in my own sight and how that leaves me vulnerable to attack. I do think the INFP lashing out is rare, but just seeing an INFP ever exhibit a willingness to strike out with that weapon leaves me fearful for what might trigger an attack on my own soft spots.

I recognize myself in Fi and Ni. Is that possible?

Of course. MBTI types are just collections of cognitive functions in the order that we prefer them. Every person has every function. Our differences come from how we prefer them, and no one is going to perfectly fit any model. Your function preference is your own, unique to you and how you have developed. The MBTI types are simply generalized models that appear to commonly appear. There is no rule declaring that people have to fit into them perfectly. I don't. My Fi is my third preferred function. But, INFJ describes me the better than the other 15 types, so that's the one I claim.

A lot of INFPs have Fi, Fe, Ne, and Ni preference as their strongest four. I'm not exactly sure why this happens. It just does. It could be that a strong Fi causes you guys to choose more polarized results for N and F functions, or it could simply be that you're more inclined to developing these functions. I have a theory that our dominant functions influence our perceptions of our secondary function in our test results, and can cause a ghost effect. If you have a dominant Fi and a Secondary Ne, you're likely to score a high Ni. I have a dominant Ni and a Secondary Fe, and I have a high Fi.

If your Fi is your domiant, and your Ne is strong, you're likely best described by INFP. It doesn't mean you have to fit the mold perfectly. No one does. To assume that we can is like assuming that people only come in four perfectly similar S, M, L, and XL sizes. However, a lot of people can't decide if they are M or L, and often it just depends on the garment.

Consider for yourself which of these is your dominant and secondary.

Extraverted Feeling - (Fe) - CONSIDERING OTHERS
Considering others and responding to them

• Who can I connect with, or relate to in order to learn better?
  • Who can I help with this learning?
  • How can I use this to improve my relationships?
Introverted Feeling - (Fi) - EVALUATING IMPORTANCE
Evaluating importance and maintaining congruence

• What is really important here?
  • What is of value to me, and what do I want out of this?
  • Who is good to learn from?

Extraverted iNtuiting - (Ne) - INFERRING
Inferring relationships, noticing threads of meaning, and scanning for what could be.

• What inferences can I make?
  • What meanings am I perceiving?
  • What hypotheses can I generate?
Introverted iNtuiting - (Ni) - FORESEEING
Foreseeing implications, conceptualizing, and having images of the future or profound meaning.

• What are the implications for the future?
  • What are the concepts?
  • What is the greater purpose?

Yes. When push comes to shove I can put aside my sensibilities. I'm not happy to do it, but I can. INFPs seem almost completely incapable of doing so.

When you put aside your sensibilities, what do you do then? Attack INFP's for not being able to do exactly what? No shise man, what are you accusing of us of doing of?

Seems to me that a lot of us WANT to have a definable MBTI type. Like we are all stressing about what our type is, and why doesn't this one type fit me perfectly?

But also this is the kind of thing that foreknowledge corrupts the end result. The first time you take the test is the first best result you could have. Because you didn't know what you were getting into. You didn't know anything about function preferences or personality typing.

The first time I took the test I scored out as INFJ. I've scored something different on nearly every different type and kind of test since. I theorize that whatever I was feeling that day, or previous experiences affected how I answered the questions thereby distorting the test. Of course that could have been true from the first time, in which case I have no clue what I am.
Really, at this point I'd have to do an indepth study on each of the functions in order to truly understand what they mean, what they are, and what they do.

Whatever I am, I'll stick with the INFJ for now and just pursue developing my use of ALL my functions.

Thank you for clarifying Von Hase! It's true that we can't expect to fit a mold perfectly. There aren't only 16 types of people in the world :)
I think my dominant function is Fi so Infp must fit me best.

I sort of resent you speaking for me as I am an INFP and I know that I usually do just what you claim you do. But I know you're not trying to be hurtful. Actually, I should say I resent that you label INFPs like that, because I don't see myself the way you see INFPs. But I'm going to choose not to be offended. It's not my job to make you understand me and I guess it's not your duty to understand me. People will call it as they see it. And if that is the experience you have with INFPs, then that is your experience.

I value your self-control and your choice to rise above offense with generosity.

The 'self conversation' of an INFJ and INFP - moving from primary, to auxilary, tertiary and inferior.

I have taken the examples of each function, given at: http://www.famoustype.com/functions.htm and have re-ordered them sequentially, according to the INfJ/INFP functions. The examples concern the building of fences.

INFJ - Ni Fe Ti Se
Why do they want to do this and what is the deal with fences anyway? Is this necessary? (Ni); How will it affect the neighborhood, and what will the neighbors think? (Fe); I want to analyze the structure and placement of the fence. (Ti); I want to decorate the fence and make sure that it looks stylish and appealing. (Se)

INFP - Fi Ne Si Te

I want it to be my own special fence that I can share with others over time. (Fi); I want to design the fence. (Ne); I’ll take care of looking at the instructions and making sure that we follow the established guidlines. (Si); Is doing this cost effective? Will it be useful? (Te)

Could someone, (Von Hase - if you are reading), please check to see if I have this right. I have not had time to get up to speed with cognitive functions.

Unless I am mistaken, the order of the thought process is important, as the primary presumably directs the very first impression one has of the prospect of a new fence.

Last edited:
LOL! I was thinking that the fence should be the privacy type with a planter box at the top for petunias and impatiens....

INFJ - Ni Fe Ti Se
Why do they want to do this and what is the deal with fences anyway? Is this necessary? (Ni); How will it affect the neighborhood, and what will the neighbors think? (Fe); I want to analyze the structure and placement of the fence. (Ti); I want to decorate the fence and make sure that it looks stylish and appealing. (Se)

Could someone, (Von Hase - if you are reading), please check to see if I have this right. I have not had time to get up to speed with cognitive functions.

At first it didn't seem me and so I was going to try to re-write it to accurately demonstrate what I thought my flow would be, but then I realized I was only making superficial language changes. I don't know if it's INFJ, but I think you broke down my main cognitive considerations fairly well.

ahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Now I understand my INFP sister.......why she gets so mad when I express myself......it annoys her to no end............she says that I am compulsive about school.....WTF.........how is planning and completing compulsive........I get mad that she isn't in a higher position careerwise.....whats the holdup? :m024:ahaaaaaaaaa

The 'self conversation' of an INFJ and INFP - moving from primary, to auxilary, tertiary and inferior.

I have taken the examples of each function, given at: http://www.famoustype.com/functions.htm and have re-ordered them sequentially, according to the INfJ/INFP functions. The examples concern the building of fences.

INFJ - Ni Fe Ti Se

INFP - Fi Ne Si Te

I want it to be my own special fence that I can share with others over time. (Fi); I want to design the fence. (Ne); I’ll take care of looking at the instructions and making sure that we follow the established guidlines. (Si); Is doing this cost effective? Will it be useful? (Te)

Unless I am mistaken, the order of the thought process is important, as the primary presumably directs the very first impression one has of the prospect of a new fence.

Very good! You have a very good grasp of these functions.

It doesn't need any improvement, but since you asked, I would clarify by making the two a little more similar for contrast.

INFJ - Ni Fe Ti Se
Why am I suddenly considering building a fence? (Dominant Ni); I feel that making a fence is the right thing to do. (Secondary Fe); I want to analyze the process of making a fence (Auxiliary Ti) because I want to make sure the fence is installed right. (Inferior Se)

INFP - Fi Ne Si Te

I want a fence because I feel they are important. (Dominant Fi); I have several ideas for what kind of fence to get. (Secondary Ne); I will make sure that we follow the established guidelines (Auxiliary Si) and I will organize the process when we install the fence. (Inferior Te)

Hai! So desu ne!

I love Miyazaki's work. He has such a unique, insightful, and idealistic voice.

So often, his protagonists are wonderful examples of INFP or INFJ archetypes.

Yup, Princess Mononoke is a favorite of mine and my friends. The man is a genius.