[INFJ] - Different "flavors" of INFJs: How the enneagram differences manifest in personality | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] Different "flavors" of INFJs: How the enneagram differences manifest in personality

U

Untitled

...peppermint, chocolate, pistachio, tyre, ferret...:flypig:
Not that kind of flavors. ...What can I say... I had trouble coming up with a title. ;)
What I mean is I find that different enneagrams give a certain distinct vibe when layered with the INFJness of a person. Anyone else noticed this? I'm going to give a very un-thought out irrational rundown of the types most represented...:eyebrows:

I'm a 4w3 and I find I'm quite direct and confrontational and dramatic, slightly pungent (edit: 4w3 sx:s are a bit pungent...so:s are funny and sweet). I recognize that kind of a samey vibe from other 4w3s. Most INFJ 4w3s seem more direct than usual in expression of all types of emotion. 4w5s are a bit less in your face and more...er... infomative is the word I'm searching for. ;)
I've noticed that INFJ 9s have a really soft and calming vibe. Enneagram 6s remind me of schoolteachers for some reason.
...this was actually meant to be a serious thread but I suddenly found myself unable to articulate anything... :eek:hwell:
:roll:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have any insight to offer right now--haven't been exposed to enough INFJs for long enough to get a sense--but I think this is terribly interesting to consider. Maybe someone else will have some observations to keep the ball rolling.

I am 6w5. [MENTION=4982]Reverie[/MENTION] - I work in school:)

Discovering this helped me to understand why constant word of my life is: FEAR....Sounds dramatic, but I have rather good life:) Though I am obsessed little bit by safety in numoerous way. Anyway, fear is useful emotion, but when it gone wilde, one can have problems with self esteem, independence and openly expressed feelings and thought. Not to mention, fear of illness and similar.
So, I am 6w5, but I try to reduce fear. Because, fear is not me, it is only some sort of veil that covers me. I belive that ennegram is not given values. If I can mesure it, I can change it as well. Maybe even change the "flavor".

I took that when I first came here w/o knowing much about it. I scored as a 6-something. I need to take it again. I joined this forum at a stressful time, I wonder if that result is all that accurate?

[MENTION=1069]Jana[/MENTION]
;D I am a self absorbed self important "artiste" with a need for approval but a huge distaste for selling out. 4s having a fear of being normal... Sometimes I get frustrated with the more temperate INFJs who are of the more wanting to fit in variety. But I know it's my own problem and more symptomatic of the drama of the four instead of anything objective.
Fours as enneagram goes have issues with shame, vacillitating between feelings of grand pomposity and utter deflatedness, with a pertinent illusion of being special and different and permanently differentiated from others by a kind of a defectiveness in a profound way.
Personally I find it was just very recently I ever really honestly seriously considered the possibility I may not be a member of some special class of beings and actually really might just be like everyone else. It was really horrible. I know it sounds awful but it is true. I am really snobbish and silly but always thought it was justified. I think the three wing brings a kind of a "don't mess with me" vibe to it as 3 wings learn to negotiate their enviroment pretty effectively.
I do believe also that we can do something about our "primary delusion" and live in a more authentic way. It's very redeeming. :)

[MENTION=4982]Reverie[/MENTION]

It is funny, you have fear of being normal. I have fear of being "different" and I always tried to fit in, in fear of being outcasted. Discovering MBTI helped me to accept some of issues that make me little awkard:) What a relief - to find right to be different.
Little off topic. I was bullied as I child in preschool. Other kids teased me for some time (look issues). It is probably root of my problems with this question.

This idea has been exchanged from time to time, and I've always enjoyed it. It's true; our base fear/base fight-or-flight changes how we view our INFJ lenses. We also have different ways of reacting to things, although we all usually react. I'm a 9w1 and very calm/laid back...to a point where I ignore a lot more than the typical INFJ. But when I'm angry most of that potential energy becomes kinetic and I can surprise folks with a reaction they didn't expect.

I would say, though, that there are some Ennegram types that are less likely to be INFJs, but it's not impossible; just improbable.

[MENTION=4982]Reverie[/MENTION]

It is funny, you have fear of being normal. I have fear of being "different" and I always tried to fit in, in fear of being outcasted. Discovering MBTI helped me to accept some of issues that make me little awkard:) What a relief - to find right to be different.
Little off topic. I was bullied as I child in preschool. Other kids teased me for some time (look issues). It is probably root of my problems with this question.
It is kind of weird. I do do the INFJ blend in thing, but I just find the most outrageous people I can find to blend into, if that makes any sense (and usually I still feel weird, but delving into it would sound so emo the screen might crack). It's samey, but a little bit different. I felt as a child that I was different from the other kids but that difference made me feel shame and that I was less than others, somehow wrong. I kind of formed this romanticized outsider identity, which was at first lived internally and then later externally.
[MENTION=442]mia kulpah[/MENTION] Kinetic as in flying saucers and things? ;D I have 8 in my tritype so on a few occasions I have really been very visibly and tangibly ANGRY.

I have never come accross an INFJ 8 for rare types. No 7s either.

It is kind of weird. I do do the INFJ blend in thing, but I just find the most outrageous people I can find to blend into, if that makes any sense (and usually I still feel weird, but delving into it would sound so emo the screen might crack). It's samey, but a little bit different. I felt as a child that I was different from the other kids but that difference made me feel shame and that I was less than others, somehow wrong. I kind of formed this romanticized outsider identity, which was at first lived internally and then later externally.
[MENTION=442]mia kulpah[/MENTION] Kinetic as in flying saucers and things? ;D I have 8 in my tritype so on a few occasions I have really been very visibly and tangibly ANGRY.

Lol! No, no; just reactions. :D

I've known someone who thought he was an INFJ 8, and it could be possible. But I agree - it's hard to see such strong extrovert-heavy E-types as INFJs.

Hi; my first time here. I test 5w6; anyone else out there a five?

I took that when I first came here w/o knowing much about it. I scored as a 6-something. I need to take it again. I joined this forum at a stressful time, I wonder if that result is all that accurate?

Based on some of your posts and that scared little bunny avatar...yes :p. I am pretty sure I'm a 4 but I don't know if I am actually a w5 or w3.

I tend to err on the INTJish side, so I'm an easy wing 5, snowman.

The only Enneagrams I relate to even remotely are two and five, and that is mostly in name. Respectively, "Counselor" and "Investigator/Sage" are together what I imagine are classically INFJ because of our possession of Ni-Fe and tertiary Ti.

I'm some form of 3 (I've taken it multiple times and never get an identical result), and I can see that I'm a bit of a minority. It really just adds fuel to my long-held belief that I'm just an ENxP with severe depression.

The only Enneagrams I relate to even remotely are two and five, and that is mostly in name. Respectively, "Counselor" and "Investigator/Sage" are together what I imagine are classically INFJ because of our possession of Ni-Fe and tertiary Ti.
4 is common and quite often associated with Ni, from what I've read, as Ni can give a person that feeling of being profoundly different from others. 5 and Ti, 2 and Fe I agree. I think the three and seven might appeal to those who have an affinity with the inferior/aspirational Se perhaps. One I think is a very classic INFJ enneagram. From what I've gathered it's because it's a general J type. :)

I have a few thoughts on different types of INFJ's. - Part 1 of a series of posts I'll be making on the subject.

1w2 - They have a very soft people-oriented interior but a crusty exterior. The core of the 1: Perfectionism and Idealism is the ideal companion for the dominant Ni which allows them to uncover vast amounts of insight developed over years and put it into humanitarian action, or drive others to action through. The 2 correlates nicely with the Fe as well and therefore what we have is a natural social reformer INFJ. I see Ghandhi as a 1w2 INFJ.
Type frequency: Uncommon

1w9 - A more peace-oriented reformer and more able to remove himself/herself from people and think in terms of global wholes. Which is not to say that 1w2 won't be able to do the same. This INFJ may seem heavy on the Ni-Ti but with a relatively absent Se and less used Fe. A literary idealist with an inherent pull to indulge in utopianism and global reform.
Type frequency: Uncommon

---

More to follow.

There is an INFJ 8 on another personality forum that I know. Very different from the 4 INFJ's, but still very likeable. The Ni-Fe combination tempers the 8 and makes it more gentle. Never seen a 7 INFJ though .. hmmm ... I have seen a few 4-core 7 fixers ... and they do have a somewhat of a bubbly optimistic side that makes them seem like EFP's.

Last edited:

There's several reasons why testing in Enneagrams at a stressful time in life doesn't work.

1. There are points of integration and disintegration which means that a person really does see parts of their integrated or disintegrated types when answering test questions. For example, the 3-6-9 is symmetrical and one of those types where the direction of integration and disintegration are muddled. It's possible for someone to be a 3 and type as a 6, or a 9 and type as a 6 given their life circumstances. Other mistypes are also possible. E.G. A disintegrated 4 may test or see himself/herself as a 2. An average 8 may seem more like a cp 6 .. and so on.

2. The 6 brand of anxiety is very different from stress/trauma induced anxiety. The 6 anxiety is somewhat ever-present and that's what feeds the feelings of fear. This doesn't mean that all 6's are cowards or are perpetually fearful or anything like that.

It just means that much of their life is spent scanning and observing things from a point of view of determining safety. This translates into relationships as well as their daily living. Everything seems to come back to it. The doubt, the scepticism, the testing of people. From what I've seen, it's one of the most complex types in the Enneagram.

4 is common and quite often associated with Ni, from what I've read, as Ni can give a person that feeling of being profoundly different from others. 5 and Ti, 2 and Fe I agree. I think the three and seven might appeal to those who have an affinity with the inferior/aspirational Se perhaps. One I think is a very classic INFJ enneagram. From what I've gathered it's because it's a general J type. :)

Yup. I only rationalized those which relate to myself most at this point in my life. I'm expecting several more stages of cultivation as I go through my life's term.

There's several reasons why testing in Enneagrams at a stressful time in life doesn't work.

1. There are points of integration and disintegration which means that a person really does see parts of their integrated or disintegrated types when answering test questions. For example, the 3-6-9 is symmetrical and one of those types where the direction of integration and disintegration are muddled. It's possible for someone to be a 3 and type as a 6, or a 9 and type as a 6 given their life circumstances. Other mistypes are also possible. E.G. A disintegrated 4 may test or see himself/herself as a 2. An average 8 may seem more like a cp 6 .. and so on.

2. The 6 brand of anxiety is very different from stress/trauma induced anxiety. The 6 anxiety is somewhat ever-present and that's what feeds the feelings of fear. This doesn't mean that all 6's are cowards or are perpetually fearful or anything like that.

It just means that much of their life is spent scanning and observing things from a point of view of determining safety. This translates into relationships as well as their daily living. Everything seems to come back to it. The doubt, the scepticism, the testing of people. From what I've seen, it's one of the most complex types in the Enneagram.

is there ever really a time that isn't stressful? ;)

j/k I agree. I think if I could test under perfect circumstances I would probably get a 9ish result. I am not complex. ;) I'm no puzzle at all. ;)